• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

swarovisions EL oculair covers (1 Viewer)

pimpelmees

hello, what are the views of everyone here about the use of the rubber eyepiece covers en objective covers on the swarovsions or for binoculars in general ?

The glasses in the swarovisions are not that very far from the outer edge of the binoculair, so i think easier to damage ?

I have to agree - there is not much distance between the lip of the housing and the glass, especially in the 50mm models. I'm sure there was more on the old EL. It is all too easy to mark the glass, however the objective covers are really inconvenient so I don't know anyone that uses them. I would like to be able to use a clear protective filter such as on a camera lens for hard use situations - at least then you have the option to change them after a season or two.

I find the ocular covers are ok, but think the rainguard or similar is probably a better solution.

Last edited:
hello, what are the views of everyone here about the use of the rubber eyepiece covers en objective covers on the swarovsions or for binoculars in general ?

The glasses in the swarovisions are not that very far from the outer edge of the binoculair, so i think easier to damage ?

Yes, I use rainguards. I don't like them tethered much so I take them off and stick them in a pocket.

Here's a secret: the best rainguard for the full-sized SV's is actually a Zeiss FL. The best rainguard for the 8x32 SV is the old Zeiss 8x30 Conquest. I don't know if those are still available.

SV rainguards? Ehh, not so much.

Objective covers not at all.

Mark

The Vortex model fits the 8X32 and 8.5 Swarovisions. We've used it for years.
http://www.eagleoptics.com/binocular-accessories/vortex/vortex-binocular-rainguard
There is no danger of damaging the lens with this cover...there's plenty of room between the lens and the rubber lip of the eyecup.

This cover is tapered so it easily and readily protects the slightly smaller 8X32 eyepiece. It basically just falls on. The cover fits the 8.5X42 but it requires a tiny amount of effort to align.

I've used my old Ultravid 42mm cover for years and when I lose it I'll use the Vortex.

Mileage varies but I use them tethered and often. When looking skyward I detest seeing small spots in my FOV. They've also saved a few lenses from damage on more than one occasion.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back