• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stand on Zanzibar's 2007 List (1 Viewer)

30th July 2007 (Northumberland)

226. Roseate Tern (BOU Lifer No. 262) East Chevington

Plus an Arctic Skua along the coast and a Spoonbill on the North Pool.

21st August 2007 (Norfolk)

Oh dear! Just realised that I've counted Corn Bunting twice (94 & 152) but missed off Black Kite which was seen at Titchwell on the 30th May 2007 (I mistakenly thought I'd seen the Black-eared Kite this year - I haven't, it was 29th Decmber last year) so, everything numbered above between 153 and 207 (inclusive) - should be 152 to 206. The Black Kite should be 207 and the numbering is correct thereafter. Phew!

229. Great Skua Holme NWT

Last edited:
28th August 2007 (Northumberland)

232. Sooty Shearwater (BOU Lifer No. 265) Howker

Three in total, plus twenty four Manx Shearwater, nine Arctic Skua and a Bonxie.

Last edited:
19th September 2007 (Lancashire)

234. Hobby Leigh
235. Grey Phalarope (BOU Lifer No. 267) Leigh

A lovely bird, showing down to ten feet. Must start taking my camera out more!

22nd September 2007 (Yorkshire)

236. Bluethroat (BOU Lifer No. 268) Spurn
237. Jack Snipe (BOU Lifer No. 269) Spurn

Loved the Bluethroat! The journey between Hull and Spurn seems to get longer every time I go. Well worth it though. Went home and decided to take it easy the day after.

23rd September 2007 (Everywhere)

238. Buff-breasted Sandpiper (BOU Lifer No. 270) Blacktoft Sands
239. Long-tailed Skua (BOU Lifer No. 271) East Bridgford
240. Wilson's Phalarope (BOU Lifer No. 272) Upton Warren

Bit of a crazy driving day really, but, there could be plenty of birdless days around in the coming months, so best to make the most of it. Best bird of the day was the BB Sandpiper, very smart looking indeed. No dips, now that's what I like! It won't last.

Three lifers for my British list in one day, the chances of that happening again (without a trip to the Scillies or Fair Isle) must be getting slimmer and slimmer. ;) (Heh, heh, I know what's coming next...)

29th September 2007 (Norfolk)

241. Barred Warbler (BOU Lifer No. 273) Holme NWT
242. Wryneck (BOU Lifer No. 274) Holkham Pines
243. Red-necked Phalarope (BOU Lifer No. 275) Cley

All right! Another three birds off the 'dip list'.

Barred Warbler - huge! Spent a good hour waiting for it to show properly and then, when the sun came out, it decided to hop out into the open and have a little snooze for ten minutes or so.

At Holkham Pines a Redstart, Kingfisher and my first Redwing of the autumn, were nice bonuses. I've been after a Wryneck for ages and whilst this one was rather distant, it was still every bit as special as I thought it would be.

And to finish off, my third species of Phalarope in 11 days - having never seen one prior to that. Nice to see this one next to the Grey Phalarope to compare size, bill shape etc.

Corrections...

I've buggered this up this year. Got to think of a way to get it right first time next year (like learning to count for starters).

The following should be inserted as stated:

80. Shoveler 11th February at Welney WWT
113. Red-breasted Meganser 15th February at Hunstanton
141. Osprey 5th April at Loch Garten
209. Black Kite 30th May at Titchwell
211. Woodcock 30th May at Dersingham Bog
237. Great White Egret 9th September at Leighton Moss

I could explain the reasons I missed these off (like I thought I'd seen the Black-eared Kite this year, so hadn't counted the Black Kite at first) but... ... well, there you go.

And I counted these twice, which should be deleted from where stated:

150. Peregrine on the 12th April
152. Corn Bunting on the 13th April

So, as at the end of the 29th September, the correct year list total was 247.

Tim

Last edited:
30th September 2007 (Yorkshire)

248. Isabelline Shrike (BOU Lifer No. 276) Buckton
249. Wood Sandpiper Buckton
250. Yellow-browed Warbler (BOU Lifer No. 277) Kilnsea
251. Greenish Warbler (BOU Lifer No. 278) Kilnsea

Back on track...

Tim

7th October 2007 (Norfolk)

252. Lesser Grey Shrike (BOU Lifer No. 279) Holkham

An unexpected bonus - dipped on the Great Grey, picked up the Lesser Grey - can't argue with that!

Tim

21st October 2007 (Yorkshire)

An early start on a trip to see the folks gave us chance to make a brief detour through the fog to Flamborough for...

253. Red-flanked Bluetail (BOU Lifer No. 280) Flamborough

Then onto Filey for a breakfast sandwich and...

254. Lapland Bunting (BOU Lifer No. 281) Filey

Tim

11th November 2007 (Yorkshire)

After dipping at the same place, at the end of October...

255. Firecrest (BOU Lifer No. 282) Old Moor

Two birds, really close up views. It's been a long time coming.

256. Mandarin The Strid

At least 13 birds.

Tim

1st December 2007 (Norfolk)

258. Desert Wheatear (BOU Lifer No. 283) Horsey

Also the (escaped) Ross's Goose with the Pinkfooted Geese on the way back from the Wheatear and 10+ Snow Buntings and 5+ Lapland Buntings at Salthouse.

Tim

Attachments

• DSCF2991.jpg
    DSCF2991.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 135
  • DSCF2998.jpg
    DSCF2998.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 141

Users who are viewing this thread

Back