• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

One for Nutcracker? (1 Viewer)

KenM

Nutty Hi, I wonder if you can name this tree of relevance in as much as, over the years visiting Fuerteventura this tree tends to punch above it's weight regarding attracting Warbler species (hoping there's enough detail in the limbs and leaves?). On one occasion late December '19, two Blackcaps, a Yellow-Browed Warbler and several Chiffies were present as has also been the case ''mostly'' on previous visits.

Another question regarding the Chiffchaff species that are present during this period, according to lit. Canary Island Chiffchaff doesn't occur on the Eastern Islands of FTV and Lanzarote, thus any visiting Chiffchaff at this time would be from Eurasia.

The images of the Chiffchaffs supplied looked odd (more so in certain lights than other), the pale yellow wash to vent and chest light dependant went from pale yellow to an almost rich buff yellow ''sandwiching'' the white body! Seen lots of Chiffies over the years...but not one looking like a tricolour from underneath.....dunno?

Cheers

Attachments

• P2110693.jpeg    Pajara Chiffy.jpeg
    P2110693.jpeg Pajara Chiffy.jpeg
    236.8 KB · Views: 128
  • P2110694.jpeg    Fuerteventura Chiffy 2..jpg
    P2110694.jpeg Fuerteventura Chiffy 2..jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 170
  • P2110290.jpeg     YBW Pajara 1..jpeg
    P2110290.jpeg YBW Pajara 1..jpeg
    185 KB · Views: 145
  • P2110183.jpeg    Fuerta Chiffy 3..jpg
    P2110183.jpeg Fuerta Chiffy 3..jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 144
Ficus benjamina was my first thought for the tree. Can't get beyond Common Chiffchaff except for that nice YBW of course.

Yes thanks Simon, there was a familiarity with the leaf, but seeing a fully mature tree perhaps 8-10 metres high (quite unlike how one sees them in the UK in nurseries and lounges) takes them off the recognition scale. :t:

Yep, agree Ficus benjamina; it appears to have quite a lot of whitefly (aphids) on it, which is likely what's attracting the birds.

Yep, agree Ficus benjamina; it appears to have quite a lot of whitefly (aphids) on it, which is likely what's attracting the birds.

How do they thrive here, as far as I remember from my distastous attempt to keep one at home, they don't like direct sunlight? They need daylight but not sunlight, no daylight, leaves fall off, direct sunlight, leaves fall off.................:C

How do they thrive here, as far as I remember from my distastous attempt to keep one at home, they don't like direct sunlight? They need daylight but not sunlight, no daylight, leaves fall off, direct sunlight, leaves fall off.................:C
What they don't like is sudden changes in their environment - buy one from a shady shop and put it in direct sun, and it gets sunburn. Do a slow increase in sunlight, and they'll adapt to it OK :t:

Nutcracker, why Ficus benjamina and not Ficus microcarpa?
Different species! What applies to one may not apply to another. Why does Iceland Gull like it cold, while some of its close relatives like it hot? :t:

There's about 850 species in the genus Ficus, they cover a very wide range of tolerances and preferences!

Different species! What applies to one may not apply to another. Why does Iceland Gull like it cold, while some of its close relatives like it hot? :t:

There's about 850 species in the genus Ficus, they cover a very wide range of tolerances and preferences!

Was Joern asking about the comment on the tendency to drop leaves or asking for details of the identification process?

I would have said the leaf shape on the photos looks more microcarpa than benjamina - the apex of the leaf is not as sharply pointed and the fringes are not sinuate.
I'm not great at tree ID, but I've been surveying trees in Hong Kong parks recently, where both species are present, so ID tips would be useful.

Was Joern asking about the comment on the tendency to drop leaves or asking for details of the identification process?

I would have said the leaf shape on the photos looks more microcarpa than benjamina - the apex of the leaf is not as sharply pointed and the fringes are not sinuate.
I'm not great at tree ID, but I've been surveying trees in Hong Kong parks recently, where both species are present, so ID tips would be useful.

I meant species identification!!!

It could be microcarpa, I've spent hours pruning both - and can't make my mind up with these photos. 1st impression was benjamina and now its mentioned microcarpa seems good. Both are commonly used in the Canaries - not so much here in the Algarve. F. benjamina does develop thicker, less flimsy and larger leaves in mature outdoor specimens. To answer Andy's question; outdoors, in a coastal Med type climate benjamina does very well in full sun with a good deep root run - best in half day shade though.

After looking at the photos i thought Ficus microcarpa due to leaf shape and structure and also fruit coloration, but I could be wrong. So I asked Nutcracker what he uses to distinguish between the two species.

Any more photos of the tree Ken? Ficus over Phylloscopus in this case :-O

Apologies for the delay Simon! Unfortunately have deleted most of the other pertaining images :eek!:

Hopefully these might help? (trees either side of the church) were the offenders. :t:

Attachments

• P2110299.jpeg    Church tree..jpeg
    P2110299.jpeg Church tree..jpeg
    193.7 KB · Views: 34
  • P2110179.jpeg    ABT. 01.jpeg
    P2110179.jpeg ABT. 01.jpeg
    80.8 KB · Views: 52
  • P2110185.jpeg   CC.02.jpeg
    P2110185.jpeg CC.02.jpeg
    106.1 KB · Views: 35

I think you are spot on, sorry for inducing doubt - based on a whim. In my defence, both are planted in the Canaries and can look quite similar at a distance. Close up, they are easy to tell apart but the original photos left me doubting.

Apologies for the delay Simon! Unfortunately have deleted most of the other pertaining images :eek!:

Hopefully these might help? (trees either side of the church) were the offenders. :t:

Thanks Ken!

Now I'm convinced that this is Ficus microcarpa, pending other opinions

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys.
It's reassuring that I've been looking at the right feature (I love the phrase 'drip tip'). I struggled with separation of these two similar species when I started tree surveys a few months ago (part of a project on fruit bats) and was worried I'd been getting them wrong.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back