• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Does anyone use a bird-caller like this? (1 Viewer)

Sancho

Europe
I bought this recently in the Birdwatch Ireland shop. I spent ten minutes trying to get a sound by attempting to blow into it like a whistle, until one of my kids figured out you simply twist it to get various squeaks and twitters. As I´ve never been able to "Pish" successfully, I was wondering if anyone used one of these and if it works?

Last edited:
What's the female part made of, plastic? That's what it looks like in the photo. In the States identical looking devices--made of birch wood--go back at least 60 years when they were marketed as "Audubon bird calls".

Do they work? I don't know. I've had one for years & have never had much luck with it, but then I haven't given it a fair trial (same with pishing, for that matter, which I also don't do often enough to have an opinion whether it works or not). My (birch wood) call certainly sounds nice, to my ear like the warbling of a House Finch.

Thanks, fugl and Jon.

fugl...yes, this is the birch-wood Audubon Bird Call, made in the US by American Bird Products, Inc., of Rhode Island. I´ll try it during the week and see if it works on Irish birds (maybe I should have gotten a Chinese-made one...;))

Jon....no Penduline Tits here. But I´ll see what it can do!

They do work Sancho....i used to use one many years ago before i became a 'pish-head' and bird mimic. My mate's still got one of these devices which he has used with varying success....[seems to work quite well in the America's]. It can make all sorts of subtle little sounds which can intrigue birds....depends how you fiddle with it! Think you have to keep 'em chalked up? Best o luck anyway......autumn on the way...so soon time to be squeaking in bushes....

I seem to remember that one way of getting the best out of these Birdcalls is to sprinkle a very small amount of rosin (used for putting on violin bows, which you can get at musical instrument shops). Just use a knife to scrape a small amount of rosin off the solid block, into the space between metal and the outer wooden bit.

years ago i used one similar to this mine had wood as well.

i had varied success it was fun to give a whirl though.

maybe you will have better luck in your neck of the woods

I've never used one, never even heard of one til I read this thread. I'm still in the dark ages and my bird caller is still a piece of grass stretched between me thumbs. :-O

Funnily enough, I saw someone with one only yesterday. I thought they were difficult to get hold of on this side of the Atlantic.

Funnily enough, I saw someone with one only yesterday. I thought they were difficult to get hold of on this side of the Atlantic.
Here´s the item in question:
http://shop.birdwatchireland.ie/bir...result.php?keywords=audubon+bird+call&x=8&y=9

It´s really great fun as a squeaky-toy. I´ve figured out how to make loads of clicks, chirrups, "tecks", and even a continuous rather sweet warble with it. Still haven´t attracted any actual birds with it, but the kids think it´s great.

Don't use these things around other people. Really annoys me when people pull these things out in public or groups and start making a racket when the rest of us are trying to observe and enjoy nature.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back