• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

leica ultravid 12x50 - old arguments still valid? (1 Viewer)

Anorak, sounds like it may be an interesting way to look for sea birds, which i find is always an extreme compromise between fov, stability, brightness and physical/mental fatigue - in terms of binocular choice (since i dont own a scope).
How do they perform with respect to CA?
I was also wondering - If you adopt a monopod for your bins, why not go for even higher magnification, or is there still some image shake?

John Cantelo said:
... have you tried a "Finn Stick" style arrangement?

John

i'm not sure what that is john, can you point me at some details and/or a picture?

mike60 said:
I was also wondering - If you adopt a monopod for your bins, why not go for even higher magnification, or is there still some image shake?

yes mike60, the more i use this setup, the more it runs through my mind that it would be a very flexilbe way of managing higher magnifications of up to say 20x without lugging a tripod around. of course there is always going to be a tiny amount of shake with a monopod as opposed to a tripod, but at binocular-type magnifictions it is negligible. the main point i was making however is that i believe a lightweight monopod/ballhead arrangement would enhance enjoyment of virtually any binocular in many, many situations. having said that though, the beauty of the ultravid 12x's is their stunning view as normal hand-held, but then whip out the monopod, snap them on things get really breathtaking - you find yourself able to gaze into a rock-steady view for as long as you want without any fatigue whatsoever, and then move on with no fuss.

yes folks, i've gone monopod-mental!

Last edited:
anorak said:
i'm not sure what that is john, can you point me at some details and/or a picture?

Hi anorak,
A Finnstick is always worth trying: it is easy to make, it is cheap/free, lightweight and often does the job - ie. stabilizing the vibration and reducing the muscle strain. It does not work so well in forests or in situations, when you watch rapid targets at close distances. Of course Finns don't call it a Finnstick - officially it is a "seipiö" :) . A few versions of Finnsticks can be spotted in http://www.vironlintuseura.fi/valokuvat/vaindloo/Staijarit_1.jpg or (a deluxe-model) http://www.vironlintuseura.fi/kuvat/hannu.jpg

A fine description is here http://home.att.net/~plastereddragon/opticfaq.txt

Cheers,
Ilkka

iporali said:
Hi anorak,
A Finnstick is always worth trying: it is easy to make, it is cheap/free, lightweight and often does the job - ie. stabilizing the vibration and reducing the muscle strain. It does not work so well in forests or in situations, when you watch rapid targets at close distances. Of course Finns don't call it a Finnstick - officially it is a "seipiö" :) . A few versions of Finnsticks can be spotted in http://www.vironlintuseura.fi/valokuvat/vaindloo/Staijarit_1.jpg or (a deluxe-model) http://www.vironlintuseura.fi/kuvat/hannu.jpg

A fine description is here http://home.att.net/~plastereddragon/opticfaq.txt

Cheers,
Ilkka

thanks for that ilklka - so it looks like the concept of holding binoculars in a very steady, relaxed and stable way by simply attaching them to a "stick" has been around for ages, and is not frowned upon in Finland. it seems that for some reason it's just not fashionable here and i can't understand why. perhaps it breaks with convention too much or just isn't currently de rigeur! I for one though am a complete convert as you can tell!

btw, the "deluxe model" picture you posted - i recognised that is actually a four-section monopod in it's "collapsed" state very similar to the one i am using with the Ultravid 12x50's and loving the setup more day-by-day.

kippis!

-=anorak.

anorak said:
it looks like the concept of holding binoculars in a very steady, relaxed and stable way by simply attaching them to a "stick" has been around for ages, and is not frowned upon in Finland.
Precisely - the name "Finnstick" is a little amusing, considering that it can be just about any branch or stick you can grab. OTOH these sticks may become valuable personal items during the years of birdwatching.

btw, the "deluxe model" picture you posted - i recognised that is actually a four-section monopod in it's "collapsed" state very similar to the one i am using with the Ultravid 12x50's and loving the setup more day-by-day.
Yes, you are right - I forgot to mention that the use of monopod as a seipiö is gaining popularity here. Maybe this kind of setup is more easily accepted also in civilized world ;) Anyway, I'm glad to hear that you have seen the advantages of the monopod with your super-bins.

Ilkka

steve before you rate the altravid in any power range you need to compare them side x side as I have you will soon change your mind abought the brightness and the weight the nikons dont come close the only bins that do come close are the sawor. power for power you will see the ulrtavid are the better also they are the strongest made from magnesium with a titanium axle and as for eye strain the (HDC) coating on the lens and the (HLS)coating on the prisms along with the phase correction coating P40 make these bins the easiest on the eyes. I have carried these bins everywere with no problems and have held them for hours. maybe you need to exersize more (just kidding) john

I've had a paid of 12 x 50 Ultravids for about 10 months now. They seem very bright for a glass of this high a power and they're very sharp across most of the field with a little softening towards the edge. They have an extremely wide 69 degree apparent field and a 5.73 degree true field and can focus as close as 11 feet. Their eye relief is 13.8mm which would be a little short for people who must wear glasses. However, I don't have to so that isn't a problem for me.

I used to have a pair of the 12 x 50 Nikon SEs. Those are also excellent but I like the Leica's better for several reasons. First, their true and apparent fields are almost 15% wider and their total field area is 30% larger. The Ultravids give you more of a picture-window wide field of view. Second, they're rugged, waterproof, and their compact size makes them easier to pack in a backpack than the porro prism Nikons are. Third, even thought they weigh 5 ounces more than the Nikons, I find that I can hold the Ultravids steadier for longer periods of time than I could with the Nikons. Even though the Nikons have great ergonomics for a porro, I find the ergonomics of the Ultravids to be even better.

While I think that the 12 x 50 Ultravids are easier to hand hold than the Nikon 12 x 50 SEs, that doesn't mean that they're easy to hand hold. When I use them I always try to find somthing to sit on, or a tree/post to lean against, or a car roof that I can brace my elbows against. When I have support like that I find that I can hold them reasonably steady for long enough periods of time to make the viewing experience worthwhile. However, even with aids like those the shakiness will become noticable much more quickly than it will with a pair of say 7 x 42s or 8 x 32s.

I would not recommend a 12 x 50 as one's primary binocular. The pair I have nicely compliments my 8.5 x 42 ELs. And if prefer having those two binoculars (each of which excel in their own way) to having a single 10 x 42 or a 10 x 50. However, if I could only have one binocular my first choice would be the 8.5 x 42 ELs and my second choice would be a high-end 10 x 42 roof prism binocular.

One earlier poster mentioned using the 12 x 50s with a monopod. I will have to look into that. If I could find one that worked well, was not too heavy, and that packed easily, it would be nice to take one along on some of my nature hikes. I have used the 12 x 50 Ultravids with a larger binocular mount and they really do perform very well on one, but the downside is that they're not as portable or easy-to-use when mounted as they are when hand held.

Leica has a pretty well designed, lightweight and quick-to-use tripod adaptor for roof-prism binoculars which a friend of mine has and I have tried. That fitted to a lightweight monopod (ideally, Bogen/Manfrotto carbon fiber) would give you excellent support and also doubles as a great finnstick which will make handheld viewing somewhat steadier and much less tiring when you don't have the time to set the pod up. The binocular attaches with a solid and strong rubber strap, which holds on tight enough that you can let the gizmo and the lightweight pod hang from the binocular while you carry it.

Kimmo

A good deal of the stability depends on the adaptor. There is an inexpensive adaptor, made by Cardoza in the States, which is rather inferiour to the Leica adaptor. The Leica adaptor on a Monostat steadies a twelve power glass quite well. The Cardoza did not work as well with a ten power glass. The "sandal strap" on the Leica adaptor is very secure, while the adaptors large platform allows the center of gravity of the binocular to placed over the head. I use a Bogen swivel head.

There is something to be said for carrying a both seven or eight power glass and the twelve power glass. If you observe with a partner, this makes eminent sense.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :scribe:

Last edited:
anorak said:
I must say that the more I use the monopod/binocular combo and develop good technique (and there most definitely is a a technique), the less i understand why monopods aren't more widely used by birders

I used to do a lot of seawatchng with my bins resting on top of my telescope... it was a straight through Optolyth which meant the bins could straddle the body of the scope and leave the latter pointing in the right direction.... it had the added advantage that you were not tempted to look further away that you could adequately ID birds at... The added stability and comfort meant I could carry on for a few hours without pause

kabsetz said:
Leica has a pretty well designed, lightweight and quick-to-use tripod adaptor for roof-prism binoculars which a friend of mine has and I have tried. That fitted to a lightweight monopod (ideally, Bogen/Manfrotto carbon fiber) would give you excellent support and also doubles as a great finnstick which will make handheld viewing somewhat steadier and much less tiring when you don't have the time to set the pod up. The binocular attaches with a solid and strong rubber strap, which holds on tight enough that you can let the gizmo and the lightweight pod hang from the binocular while you carry it.

Kimmo

Thank you for the tip on the Bogen/Manfrotto carbon fiber monopod. Since it only weighs a little over a pound and compresses to 20 inches it sounds very promising, I will check it out. I already have the Leica tripod adapter that you mentioned and it does work very well (not only for my Leica 12 x 50 Ultravids but also for my 8.5 x 42 ELs).

John

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back