• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

German ww2 military binoculars (1 Viewer)

smurf.for.mark

Hi, just wondering if anyone can help identify/age these? i know they are German military, likely ww2 vintage and also made by ziess? i picked them up very cheap at a carboot sale, luckily on the way to the beach for a day out and really enjoyed the view through them. they are still in good alignment and bar a few specs inside are clean and clear (no fog/haze or fungus) the lenses seem in good condition too with a bluish anti reflective coating.
try as i may i cant find much info or even an image of an identical pair?

Attachments

• blc01.JPG
    blc01.JPG
    213.4 KB · Views: 231
  • blc2.JPG
    blc2.JPG
    731.1 KB · Views: 114
The blc means they are Zeiss—thus, German. That code was only used 1939-1945. The killer for MY knowledge is the two ports that look like axle cap ports on other binoculars—and on even THAT one. Undoubtedly, the instrument is collimated via eccentric rings. Therefore, I would say the instrument was used in sub-service and those caps cover gassing ports. But that is only a guess.

I have looked through Seeger's Feldstrecher for you without finding one. Please, if you come across information share with us.

Also, if the instrument has AR coatings, they were probably not the original. :cat:

Bill

thank you, yes there is definitely a bluish hue/coating on all glass surfaces that i can see.
i think the ports on the front are for moisture absorbing crystals.
there are no other markings on the binoculars.
i was amazed that they are still clear inside, the optical quality is excellent.
we stopped off at a carboot sale on the way to the beach and they were the first thing that caught my eye
i spent the afternoon with them along the coast and couldnt fault them, very enjoyable viewing

Getting at the history of WW2 binoculars is fraught, partly because there were so many poorly documented war time shortcuts, partly because there are so many post war fakes.

Zeiss did build coated binoculars in WW2, but surplus glasses were also coated in the post war years to improve their performance.
The two ports are presumably ports to attach desiccant cartridge, which suggests naval service. I don't know of any current day glass that still offers this useful feature, the little silica gel bags found in most Asian optics packages are probably a cargo cult echo harkening back to a time when that mattered.

The markings on the glass however are problematical, a Navy glass should have an M for 'Marine' on it. Also the number, 35851, is difficult to reconcile, it is much too small to fit the Zeiss serial numbers and too large for a small Navy specific run. Possibly the glass is a partial original with some parts replaced.

You have a Kriegsmarine Zeiss Jena D.F. 7 x 50 smooth ocular model. Here is a link with some information about the model although the binocular in the link was made a little earlier than yours and has different markings: https://www.flickr.com/photos/binocwpg/8597218374/in/photolist-e6Ahpc-e6GZv1

Those housings in the objective prism plates are Trockenpatrone (desiccant cartridges) containing silica gel: https://www.flickr.com/photos/binocwpg/8595872547/in/photostream/

According to the serial number tables in Seeger's latest book, the green one, your binocular was made 1942-1943.

This is a link to another WW II Zeiss Kriegsmarine 7 x 50 model which has markings very much like yours including a "short series" serial number: https://www.flickr.com/photos/binoc...4Js-qw7XSB-chX5rS-H3PX8H-GekMas-fxMdqB-hwqUJg

This is definitely a Kriegsmarine (KM) binocular having typical later type KM markings. It appears to be entirely original with no replacement parts. All these Zeiss KM binoculars had coated optics.

They are no doubt worth quite a bit more than whatever you paid for them at the carboot sale.

Last edited:
Some Russian current binoculars offer internal silica if specified with the order.
Possibly individually or in batches.
They also offer binoculars to cope with heat of 90C or almost 200F.

I'd guess the Zeiss pictured above is worth £1,000, but I don't really know.
The early Zeiss coatings seem to be hard and have lasted, whereas some U.S. and British early coatings were soft and easily removed with cleaning.

I got a coded Leitz 7x50 of this era for a fiver, forlorn in a junk box, but it doesn't have silica ports although it has heavy rubber covers in excellent condition. I think that the Zeiss 7x50 is more valuable.

managed to take a few better pictures

Attachments

• german1.jpg
    german1.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 61
  • german2.jpg
    german2.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 64
  • german3.jpg
    german3.jpg
    329.6 KB · Views: 59
  • german4.jpg
    german4.jpg
    357.2 KB · Views: 55
  • german5.jpg
    german5.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
This looks to be quite a nice example with coatings in good condition, original sealants intact and the neckstrap with its steel or aluminum alloy studs (the Germans did not use brass) looks original too. That large slot in the eyepiece end hinge cap is for attaching a rubber cord with a Benutzerkappe (bakelite rain guard) to protect the eyelens when not in use. Unfortunately these are often lost.

When clean the optical performance of this binocular is very good.

Last edited:
One of two methods used by Fujinon on hand-held binoculars. The 25 or 40 x150 have much larger pouches that fit into the circular opening in the center of the instrument. :cat:

Bill

Attachments

• Fujinon Silica Tabs.jpg
    Fujinon Silica Tabs.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Great find when older glass can be found in the condition that one is in, careful with them. Now you need to get a user pair, and keep these for those special moments.

Andy W.

thanks, i paid just £8 for them and kind of knew they were likely worth a lot more. i hate to ask but im curious as to there value as have no real idea?

Hi Mark,
I guessed about £1,000 because the coatings are so good.

But I see one not so good at £600.

So maybe £800 asking, £650 actual.

But I have no real idea.

It would be best to hold on to the binocular to see what it might actually be worth.

Are the prisms also coated?

I see that you overpaid for the binocular :)

Regards,
B.

thanks, yes i can see coatings on the prisms. they are not perfect inside, i can see some dust if i shine a torch through the oculars and look down the objectives there are some light wisps of haze but mostly clear.

i can see a couple small greasy looking blobs on the prisms possible fungus. im pretty sure i spotted a small delamination bubble while out in the sunshine on the edge of one of the objectives but cant see it now.

i cant see any issues with collimation they are a joy to look through, extremely sharp and clear with good contrast. you definitely get that satisfying wow when viewing through them that they are enhancing your vision not just magnifying it.

i have a few other modern military binoculars including a zrak 7x40 which i love

Hi Mark,
I suppose if not perfect inside the value will be a little less, but still an excellent binocular.

I have a military 7x40, but not Yugoslav.

I used to stay in St. Ives as a rep long ago.
Cornwall was somewhere I frequently visited.
I also stayed with a friend in Plymouth and worked from there also.

I mainly got binoculars from charity shops, but boot fairs are also a fine source.

Those with the German eagle still intact fetch quite a bit more. Many were scratched off post-war. Those that were never engraved often get faked up.

Attachments

• 48e53217e817ab9007c84f6eb446fbf4.jpg
    48e53217e817ab9007c84f6eb446fbf4.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 52
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 105
i had these a while back, found at a boot sale. i paid £2 for them as well. much rougher shape inside and out though so unusable and i eventually sold them

Attachments

• lietz.jpg
    lietz.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 37
Here's the later Zeiss 7x50 U-boat type marked blc/53796

Attachments

• DSCN3609.jpg
    DSCN3609.jpg
    366 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCN3600.jpg
    DSCN3600.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCN3604.jpg
    DSCN3604.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCN3599.jpg
    DSCN3599.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 31
One of two methods used by Fujinon on hand-held binoculars. The 25 or 40 x150 have much larger pouches that fit into the circular opening in the center of the instrument. :cat:

Bill

Sure would be nice if that were more universal practice, rather than simply trusting to the seals. Seems a step backward.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back