• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

double hummingbird nest (1 Viewer)

dangit

Hello ,
First post here.
I'm a casual birder from my back yard and around town.
I have what seems to me to be a strange hummingbird nest. It's two nests seemingly made at the same time, and melded into one. Each one has two eggs, and is attended by a bird, however, I've never seen two birds there at the same time. There are birds that regularly sit on each pair of eggs, just not at the same time as far as I've seen. I'm not certain that there ARE two different birds.
This does not seem normal to me, but I'm certainly no expert. Can any one tell me how unusual this is?

Thank you,
Dangit

Attachments

• P1000886.JPG
    P1000886.JPG
    316.6 KB · Views: 129
  • P1000880.JPG
    P1000880.JPG
    189 KB · Views: 118
Sounds very unusual. And, if there's only one bird incubating alternatively, I doubt that any of the eggs will hatch.

Certainly not a normal occurrence!

A few species of birds, such as American Robins, have been known to build multiple adjacent nests on a flat surface, apparently due to confusion. However, the fact that two eggs are in EACH nest is interesting! I'd love to know if you ever see two adults at each nest simultaneously.

We are keeping an eye on the nest as much as we can, but still have seen only one bird at a time. I'll let everyone know if two show up, and try to get pics.

Dangit

Well, the hummer has deserted the nest. I guess she just couldn't keep both nests, 4 eggs, properly tended. I'm pretty sure there was only one bird on both nests.
We're sad to see this experiment end, but life goes on.

Dangit

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back