• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica/Leitz - what's the difference??? (1 Viewer)

rosh

Hi,

I've just bought (by mail order) a pair of second-hand Leica 10x25 Trinovid BCA's. What arrived are labelled Leitz, not Leica. Have I been conned? Or are they the same? They were made in Portugal, but I'm not sure how old they are. I've got the warrenty, but it doesn't have a date on it.

It's been foggy since they arrived, so I haven't been able to test them properly, but my first impression is that they're no better than my old, cheap (and recently broken) Opticrons.

I'd welcome any comments.

Leitz was an old, German optical firm, second only to Zeiss in the production of microscopes. In 1924, it marketed the first practical 35 mm. camera with the name of Leica. LEItz CAmera=Leica. About twenty years ago, the company was reorganised and took the name Leica for all its products.
Representing your glass only as a Leica, if that is the case, certainly obscured it age. You can email Leica with the serial number and they may tell you the year of manufacture.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Hi rosh,

A warm welcome to BirdForum from all the Moderators and Admin.

I think Pinewood's post covers what you need :t:

Hi and welcome.

As others have said it's the same company, Leitz bins are older than ones branded Leica. A good pair of Leitz are still excellent bins, assuming you didn't pay over the odds for them you'll have done ok. The Leica compacts are made in Portugal, so no problems with that.

Best advice is give them a good testing, if you're not happy and feel that they were mis-represented then send them back. But like I said, assuming you didn't pay too much a good pair of Leitz compacts are well worth having.

postcardcv said:
Hi and welcome.

As others have said it's the same company, Leitz bins are older than ones branded Leica. A good pair of Leitz are still excellent bins, assuming you didn't pay over the odds for them you'll have done ok. The Leica compacts are made in Portugal, so no problems with that.

Best advice is give them a good testing, if you're not happy and feel that they were mis-represented then send them back. But like I said, assuming you didn't pay too much a good pair of Leitz compacts are well worth having.

rosh, you might check the diameter of the eyepiece lenses. My older model (presumably the one you have) had rather small lenses which bothered me as I need to wear my glasses when using the binoculars. The newer ones (also 8x20 Trinovids) are fine in this respect. The diameter here is 15 mm. But if you don't need spectacles when using binoculars, you should do fine with the older model.

Hi Rosh,

Tell me the serial number(it should be around one of the eyepieces) and if it is a 10x25 bc/bca or a 10x22C and I will let you know the date of manufacture and if it is kosher.

Gary

Thanks eceryone

Thanks for all your comments. I've decided to send the bins back since they aren't what I ordered.

Leitz/leica serial numbers

Hi Gary
Just joined this forum and do not know if this will reach you but would be interested in any information you have on Leica serial numbers. I Have a pair of 8x32BA and pair of Leitz 10x22c. It would be nice to know what year they were manufactured.
Thanks
shorebirder (Dave)
Gary Hawkins said:
Hi Rosh,

Tell me the serial number(it should be around one of the eyepieces) and if it is a 10x25 bc/bca or a 10x22C and I will let you know the date of manufacture and if it is kosher.

Gary

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back