• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First day out with Black Rapid Strap (1 Viewer)

Roy C

Occasional bird snapper
Up to now I have been using the Canon lens strap (with addition shoulder pad) when hand holding the 300/2.8 - comfortable enough but can get a bit snarled up when raising the combo up to the shooting position.

I have just got the BR RS-7 strap with fastener r3. Tried it out today for the first time with the 7D + 300/2.8 + tc (about 9 lbs total) - screwed the fastener onto a Arca QR clamp and then fastened the clamp onto the arca lens plate (that way you do not have to keep unscrewing the lens plate).
I walked for a couple of hours and It worked a treat - was easy and quick to get up to the shooting position. A bit expensive for what it is but it done exactly what I bought it for. So far so good :t::t::t:

I've been using a home-made (ahem!) homage to the BR strap for my body + grip + 100-400mm since last year, and it works superbly.

I'm carrying a bit less weight than body + 300mm f/2.8 + TC, but it would easily - and very comfortably - manage a good deal more.

I attach camera to strap clip with a loop of extremely strong (and frequently checked!) high breaking strain dyneema braid through the right hand strap loop on the top of the body.

It hangs perfectly against my hip and swings up into position as smooth as you like.

I've been using a home-made (ahem!) homage to the BR strap for my body + grip + 100-400mm since last year, and it works superbly.
I attach camera to strap clip with a loop of extremely strong (and frequently checked!) high breaking strain dyneema braid through the right hand strap loop on the top of the body.
It hangs perfectly against my hip and swings up into position as smooth as you like.

Hi Keith
Any chance of a photo to show what you mean ? (at your convenience).
My domestic nickname is Mr Bean but if it's simple I will give it a go with my 100-400.
Thanks

Yep, I've been meaning to write something about it for ages David, so I'll take a couple of photos tonight.

What I did was very easy and it cost nothing, as I used a strap plus sliding clip that I had lying around from a holdall or somesuch.

What I did was very easy and it cost nothing, as I used a strap plus sliding clip that I had lying around from a holdall or somesuch.
Yep, I have seen several homemade version made from things like laptop bag handles etc. So long as your are confident that it will all hold the weight of your gear there is no problem and it will save a bob or two.

With my 300 I certainly wanted to attach via the lens plate/tripod foot and although I could have just bought a BR fastener and made a hand made strap I would have been gutted if it happened to fail and buggered £5k worth of gear - for me the extra £40 or so was well worth it for peace of mind.

BTW I added an old holdall shoulder pad to the Canon lens strap which made it tons more comfortable than just carry via the thin strap.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back