• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Passport Service - What do I get ? (1 Viewer)

griffin

Just bought a pair of Ultravid 10 x 42 BR's from SW Optics. Have filled in and sent off the Passport Application which apparently covers accidental damage.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what I actually get eg. how long the service lasts, what is covered what is not covered etc.

Sorry for the ingnorance - didn't even know I would get this as part of the deal so an unexpected bonus !

Cheers,

Linz

Great binos BTW !

The passport covers any accidental damage and I think lasts for 5 years (though i'm not totally sure), in that time Leica will repair or replace your bins whatever happens to them. I only know of one person who has had to use this, there bins were repaired quickly and without question.

.. I think that that the insurance cover is for 24 months, not 5 years; not sure if Leica acknowledge Passport applications; I've not, as yet received anything from them after sending in my card a couple of weeks ago...

John F

I am not sure if it is the same in every country, but here in the USA, if you purchased from an authorized dealer, registered etc - the no fault warranty covers user caused damage as well as defects in materials and workmanship

Last edited:
... update from me; just come back from a few days away to find a letter from Leica confirming the Passport registration, which is in fact 5 years - so PostcardCV was right! and it covers accidental damage as well as any faults. It is also transferable should the bins or scope be passed/sold onto another owner.

John F

Thanks PostcardCV and John.

Sounds like a great deal on what are already great bins. Lets hope I don't need it but if I do great piece of mind !

Cheers,

Linz

laservet said:
FWIW, in the US the passport warranty is a lifetime warranty.

Apparently in the EU theres a law that states that a warranty can only last for 10 years, so no lifetime warranties over here.

DavidP said:
Apparently in the EU theres a law that states that a warranty can only last for 10 years, so no lifetime warranties over here.

I'm not sure how true this is, Leica, Swarovski and Opticron (on some of their stuff) offer a 30 year warranty on their bins.

DavidP said:

The Ultravids I bought state 30 years in the Warranty card, presumably the passport accidental one covers the first 5 years. However, I recall my Telelvid scope was only a 10 year warranty ?

Linz

griffin said:
The Ultravids I bought state 30 years in the Warranty card, presumably the passport accidental one covers the first 5 years. However, I recall my Telelvid scope was only a 10 year warranty ?

Linz

I got this from Alula, optics review of Zeiss Victory FL

"The guarantee is 10 years, which is the longest possible period according to the current EU rules concerning binoculars."

A google search didn't reveal anything so may or may not be true but thats where I originally heard it.

http://www.alula.fi/GB/index.htm

David

Looking at the Opticron 30 year guarantee on their site there is a 10 year material and labour guarantee against faulty materials or processing. The next 20 years are covered for material costs only.

My Swift Audubon roofs came with a 'lifetime' guarantee. I'm not sure what that means now as I believe Swift have been taken over recently.

Ron

NoSpringChicken said:
Looking at the Opticron 30 year guarantee on their site there is a 10 year material and labour guarantee against faulty materials or processing. The next 20 years are covered for material costs only.

Ron

That sounds right then Ron, might even be 5 years for material and labour with Leica then 20 years materials only ?

Linz

griffin said:
That sounds right then Ron, might even be 5 years for material and labour with Leica then 20 years materials only ?

Linz

Linz

I think the passport is for 5 years and covers parts and labour due to non-functioning from whatever cause including accidental damage. It excludes accessories and non-Leica service/repairs.

The warranty lasts for 30 yrs (25 + passport) and covers materials but not labour or accidental damage.

Linz

I think the passport is for 5 years and covers parts and labour due to non-functioning from whatever cause including accidental damage. It excludes accessories and non-Leica service/repairs.

The warranty lasts for 30 yrs (25 + passport) and covers materials but not labour or accidental damage.

Cheers Nick.

Linz

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back