• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds that birds prefer safflower over sunflower? (1 Viewer)

I used safflower to deter the grackles; they don't seem to like it. But I've noticed given the choice, most of the birds prefer the black oil sunflower seeds over the safflower. I'm also not having much luck with the sunflower chips!

Last edited:
I've used safflower before, and at my house I get the same birds I do with sunflower hearts, and black oil sunflower. I was told that squirrels wont eat them, but it seems here in Texas they will eat them just the same. In the stores they sell a "cardinal blend" and its just black oil sunflower mixed with safflower.

I mainly feed seed with no hulls. That said, I feed safflower exclusively at two feeders close to each other but on the other side of the yard away from the other feeders. I have loads of squirrels but they don't touch the safflower. In fact, most birds, even starlings, won't touch safflower. Mourning doves, Cardinals, and house finches hit the safflower a lot. That's about it. I keep them in seed once the squirrels have taken over everything else for a while.

Other than that I have two dial suet block feeders, two tube feeders usually with hulled sunflower, two tube feeders with Niger ( I get infrequent visits from a goldfinch or two every year, a fruit fly/butterfly tray with beer and fermenting fruit, and a couple of bird baths. I also have heavily planted for birds and pollinators and run for sugar water feeders for hummingbirds though we usually get a single female during breeding season.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back