• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x42 Decisions Tract VS Vortex VS Vixen VS Bushnell (1 Viewer)

AFAIK, Kamakura makes lots of its' stuff in China....not saying the Toric is though. That's the problem with this level of saturation due to rebranders - eventually everyone will have to produce in the 3rd world to compete.

Last edited:
Don't think it matters.

Vortex was the #1 importer of Kamakura products into the USA last year.

The Vortex Razors were made in Japan by Kamakura until production was moved to China last year by Kamakura. These units are indistinguishable except for the Made in "" print.

See attached Kamakura datasheet.

Product development/design and the establishment of production development are carried out in Japan.

Kamakura production is mainly at China factory complying with the request of smaller lot production with the same or higher quality standard in Japan.

?Zeiss Conquest HD's are labeled made in Germany?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-01-03-14-52-00.jpg
    Screenshot_2019-01-03-14-52-00.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 151
I'll have to disagree with you on that Vortex stuff zzzzz. The latest made in China samples of the Razor and Viper HD all had eyecups that wouldn't stay put, inferior hinge tension (too loose in a couple, too tight in another), and more issues are described in the Vortex forum on this board. The move to China was a bad one, IMO.

I'll have to disagree with you on that Vortex stuff zzzzz. The latest made in China samples of the Razor and Viper HD all had eyecups that wouldn't stay put, inferior hinge tension (too loose in a couple, too tight in another), and more issues are described in the Vortex forum on this board. The move to China was a bad one, IMO.

It would be interesting if the Warranty Depot @ Vortex had an up tick in Razor issues.

The 2018 Vipers are of a different design build quality maybe less.

There's definitely an aversion to Made in China stuff I've seen the newer Made in China Razors on eBay with that label removed. ? nail polish remover.

The MeoPros are nice. If you buy a pair also invest in some welding goggles. The glare might blind you :-O

I had a pair and they didnt handle odd angle sunlight or reflected light very well. Not the worst though. That distinction belongs to the Monarch M7 8x30. Having said that, not everyone is sensative to glare. I’m personally not sensitive to CA and don’t see it in some models that others say are horrible in that regard. Hope you enjoy the Torics. I’ve been very impressed by mine.

Time will tell but I sure haven't had any issue with glare and the Meopro HD 8X42. I used it today. Saw some good birds too! Drizzling and very cloudy. I thought the whole package was worthy of praise. Comparing it to the MIC Viper HD right now. I know which one I'd pick.;)

I have both of the Hawke Frontier ed-x. (10x42 and 8x42) They are a great value and the 8x42 offers a very wide field of view at the expense off edge sharpness. After comparing the view with my Swarovski SLC's I decided to order another pair of the Toric 8x42's as i had sold the first pair I bought to Upland. I spent the last two weeks using both the Hawke's, A Vanguard ED II and the Torics looking at wildlife in the superstition mountains in Arizona and have come to the conclusion that the Toric's given the narrower field of view vs the Frontier's offer better edge sharpness which I find I enjoy more than the greater field of view. overall, I would ay that of the less expensive bino's that I have the Torics come closer to the Swaro SLC's in optical performance.

I have both of the Hawke Frontier ed-x. (10x42 and 8x42) They are a great value and the 8x42 offers a very wide field of view at the expense off edge sharpness. After comparing the view with my Swarovski SLC's I decided to order another pair of the Toric 8x42's as i had sold the first pair I bought to Upland. I spent the last two weeks using both the Hawke's, A Vanguard ED II and the Torics looking at wildlife in the superstition mountains in Arizona and have come to the conclusion that the Toric's given the narrower field of view vs the Frontier's offer better edge sharpness which I find I enjoy more than the greater field of view. overall, I would ay that of the less expensive bino's that I have the Torics come closer to the Swaro SLC's in optical performance.

Gary did you sell your CL’s in favour of the larger SLC’s? l made the move back to the 42’s sold off all my 32’s most of my use is early morning and I notice a difference on cloudy days

Last edited:
Gary did you sell your CL’s in favour of the larger SLC’s? l made the move back to the 42’s sold off all my 32’s most of my use is early morning and I notice a difference on cloudy days

No, I still have both the 8 and 10x CL's. I really like those and am keeping with me for travel purposes. We have 3 homes and I try to keep at least one pair of 10x and one pair of 8x at each. I rally have too many Bino's right now |8)|

No, I still have both the 8 and 10x CL's. I really like those and am keeping with me for travel purposes. We have 3 homes and I try to keep at least one pair of 10x and one pair of 8x at each. I rally have too many Bino's right now |8)|

You must be retired. Bet they make the perfect travel companions! Does anybody know when Swarovski is going to release the SLC's fieldpro models? hard to imagine the glass could get any better.

Last edited:
Time will tell but I sure haven't had any issue with glare and the Meopro HD 8X42. I used it today. Saw some good birds too! Drizzling and very cloudy. I thought the whole package was worthy of praise. Comparing it to the MIC Viper HD right now. I know which one I'd pick.;)

I wish I could recommend the meopros, but having both the 10x and 8x42’s at the same time, I was seriously disappointed with them both and returned one pair and sold the other. I loved the build quality and ergonomics but the image quality was very distorted to me. I never felt I could get them in sharp focus.

Thanks Gary58. Awesome insight and I very much appreciate the feedback.

Have acted accordingly 😉

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

You must be retired. Bet they make the perfect travel companions! Does anybody know when Swarovski is going to release the SLC's fieldpro models? hard to imagine the glass could get any better.

Sure am,
Retired is good. The CL's are my favorite for travel and really for everyday use.
They are enough smaller than the EL 8x32's that I once owned to make it easier to pack into a camera backpack which I always have with me.

I agree, Vortex has not had anything I am interested in, they have a sales
force really pushing in the US.

The move to China, was simply a way for them to make more money.

An over $1,000.00 binocular made in China, no way, the Razor applies.

With them just proclaiming everything made in China, is a bummer, I don't
like everything made in China.

There are many other better choices.

Jerry

Hi all

Just thought I'd check in. The Tract Toric UHD 8x42's arrived a few days ago.

I will post up a more detailed review when I've had more time (probably on my YouTube channel)

But the short version is a big fat WOW.

I spent quite some time two evenings ago comparing the Torics to my 10x42 Leica Ultravids. I don't say this lightly.... I think the Torics were better, just. Probably on par optically, both were just as bright right up to fully dark. But the Toric focus is a little slower so things seemed easier to get them sharp in really low light. I could get a sharp view easily as a result. Tended to hunt around with the focus more with the Ultravids.

I can nitpick though as the Ultravids are a more complete package, They should be though at the price difference. The eye cups on the Torics are a little loose when fully extended, each positional notch is could be much more positive. I find they get bumped in a notch easily when I use them in my Kuiu Gear bino chest pouch. And the rubber covered focus wheel doesn't scream premium.

Still, for the cost they are amazing. I'll be quite happy to recommend friends try these before dropping 3-4 times the amount on a pair of "alphas".

If the new Schott HT's are say 5% better again..... I'll be questioning keeping my 10x42 Leica's. My biggest issue with the Ultravids in the field is lens external fogging when I've been exerting myself and then pull the bino's up. Without question the Torics I can huff breath on and the lens coating is hard to fog or clears much quicker than the Ultravids.

My biggest issue with the Ultravids in the field is lens external fogging when I've been exerting myself and then pull the bino's up. Without question the Torics I can huff breath on and the lens coating is hard to fog or clears much quicker than the Ultravids.

Zeiss makes these nifty one-use "zeiss lens cleaning wipes" that work really well for external fogging. It worked perfectly on my camera in -20 to -30deg temps for getting the fog and ice off the lens. Its not expensive and comes in a box of 200.

There are some "anti-fog" solutions for glasses, but I am not sure I would want to use that on expensive bins.

Fogging, in my experience has much more to due with eye-cup position than any lens coating magic. If the eyecup allows for free movement of cooler, dryer air over the lens then fogging isn't an issue.

I get lots of fogging lately, as temps have been in the - 10 to - 15 C range and I've been wearing a balaclava. This forces warm breath up to the oculars and causes fogging, no matter the bin. Pulling the balaclava down allows the breath to escape outward rather than upward and no fogging. Same with eyecups - if they are winged or fully up, they trap warm air and fog.

I think I have some of the Zeiss lens wipes.

As a non glasses wearer it's always an issue after a walk in the hills when I'm working up body heat and often sweat.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back