• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nr Cape Coral, April 2018 (1 Viewer)

LowellMills

Is this your Sanderling?
Hi all on the Florida patch forum! Going to be based in Cape Coral for 6 days pre-Disneyworld in April (1st-6th) and looking for tips if folks would be so kind, on what may be the best places bird-wise from there.

Neither of us have birded the US properly before so no specific interest in rarities or specific additions to a US/World list. The best places for diversity/abundance of common residents/migrants would be great.

We will have a hire car but it won't be an SUV. We're planning at least one round trip to Everglades but keen to hear of good spots on route.

You may want to include Corkscrew Swamp in your itinerary. The swamp itself is beautiful and the birding isn't too bad either. Many of the birds are used to people on the extensive boardwalk and therefore not overly shy. Also, by now, you probably know about the very popular Sanibel Island, very near to Cape Coral.
A ferry can take you to Cayo Costa from Pine Island for something a little different. My wife and I kayaked to Cayo Costa from Boca Grande and camped on Christmas day there in 2011. We got to see nickerbeans, gopher tortoises and rented bikes to explore the extensive trails and white sand beach.
If you get as far as Rt. 41, (Tamiami Trail), another different way to go birding is to take the Shark Valley Tram tour. We had a half dozen Limpkins hold up the tram momentarily, Spoonbills, Purple Gallinules, big alligators and soft-shelled turtles. Be sure to stop at the Miccosukee Restaurant and try some of their specialty foods, such as fried pumpkin bread. Wasn't bad, really! I think I put out a trip report on that in April of 2014...

Steve

Yes, as Hamhed mentioned, go to Sanibel's Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge. This is a must visit site in that area. Also, when you're heading up to Disney in Orlando, save a day or two for birding there. Lake Apopka and Orlando Wetlands are also top Florida birding locations. Enjoy your trip!

This is a great resource and you will find a wealth of info in it... http://floridabirdingtrail.com/trail/trail-sections/south-section/

I will also add that Cape Coral has plenty of Burrowing Owls around the town... I believe there are still burrows on the Town Hall grounds as well as the Library. If not than I would suggest driving around the neighborhoods early morning or later afternoon and you should see some... just look for the cross-like perches or signs in yards and empty lots for their burrows. Residents are encouraged to allow them to nest. http://www.capecoral.net/department...environmental/burrowing_owls.php#.Wl_qINQrK9I

I will second the Ding Darling and Corkscrew recommendations. I would strong recommend you check the times of low tide at Ding Darling... it is a MUCH better place bird-wise at low tide. We have also been to 6 mile Slough and Bunge Beach... 6 mile was nice but not the best bird-wise(but that was late August too). Bunge Beach should be very good for shorebirds and waders... but you may want to check the tide table times here as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back