• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nomina mystica or Nomina deliria ... !? (1 Viewer)

I have trawled through Rey 1872 (see #37) and, as suspected, found that it is full of spelling errors. Happily, most of them can be resolved by reference to the author names supplied by Rey. The generic misspellings have found their way into the Key, as have some 'new' specific names and various gross mistakes. I have not included variant eponyms (i.e. ending -ii instead of -i, and vice versa) and obvious erreurs de frappe. So you may now freely check yet more names in the Key (and even more after I return from Tring).

manca is feminine singular form of mancus which means infirm, defective. Could this be relatable with nana that means midget, dwarf?
"Curruca manca ? Erhenb." was cited in the synonymy of his Pyrophthalma melanocephala by Bonaparte in 1850 - https://biodiversitylibrary.org/page/43560444 - thus this one does not appear to be a creation of Rey.
Hard to make a guess without knowing the original context, imho.

(Maybe totally irrelevant, but perhaps worth keeping in mind: MelANoCephalA.)

Last edited:
Hi,

gymnopodius is of the greek origin Γυμνοπους; γυμνός means naked, bare and πούς means foot, hence barefoot.

Possibly, this name was chosen to contrast with the German trivial name of Aegolius funereus, "Rauhfußkauz", which translates as "fur-footed owl".

The similarly named "Rauhfußbussard," Buteo lagopus, echoes this concept.

Regards,

Henning

No. 10, also from on page 186: "[Curruca] Heineckeni. Jard. 213" + "[Sylvia] Heineckeni. Jard. (Madeira)", on p.237
[According to Rey (No. 213); a synonym of today's (Eurasian) Blackcap Sylvia atricapilla]

Apparently there is, or was, a "Curruca Heineckeni", by Jardine (OD unseen), mentioned at least here; claimed to have been published in; "Edinb. Journ. nat. geogr. sc. IV. 241".

Which I assume is The Edinburgh Journal of (Natural and Geographical) Science (only vol. 2 and 3 is in the BHL). But I assume it´s yet another typo, for today's subspecies Sylvia atricapilla heineken JARDINE 1830. According to the Richmond card (here) this subspecies is described as "Curruca Heineken" (no ending-i), in the same Edinburgh journal, ... but in No. 1! On p.243!? A remarkable amount of "typos" in those days!?

Anyone who have seen it?

The same journal (No.1) is also includes "Columba Trocaz" HEINEKEN 1829, on p.230 ... here. But nothing on any "Curruca Heineken" on p.243.?

I wonder if his name truly was Heineken or Heinecken?

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
Blackcap ssp. Sylvia atricapilla heineken Jardine, 1830
Dr Karl (also known as Carlos) Heineken (d.1830) was a German physician and naturalist on Madeira (1826–1830). He wrote 'Notice of some of the birds of Madeira' (1829).

The Key to Scientific Names
Dr Karl Heineken (d. 1830) German physician, naturalist on Madeira 1826-1830 (syn. Columba trocaz, subsp. Sylvia atricapilla).

Apart from the fact that volume 1 of The Edinburgh journal of natural and geographical science by Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh. seems not online some more on him some more in Wikipedia. Unfortunately not his birth date/place. on syn. Columba trocaz isn't he there just the author?

Death 4 January 1830 probably from here but here or called Charles who was before a physician in Bow Middlessex. So he might be British?

HEINEKEN (Charles) , zu Funchal auf Madeira, Med. Dr., starb d . 4 Jan. 1830. Er war früher (1819) Arzt zu Bow in Middlessex u . lebte, wegen seiner geschwächten Gesundheit 9 J. auf Madeira.

Here even named English physician. Or here
Dr. Heineken, an English physician and surgeon of reputation, who also resided in the island, says: “I shall take for granted that my medical brethren will only advise those who are likely to benefit by climate, to quit their native shores; and with this proviso, I do not hesitate to say, that Madeira holds out advantages that are not to be met with combined in any other quarter of the globe.“

Last edited:
I can find no records for a Carlos, Karl or Carl Heineken. I do however find a Christian Heineken, son of Christian, son of Heinrich Christian - all Physicians. In light of no contemporary references naming him I suggest Carl is a guess for his forename.

Born 1 March 1761 (attached)

Attachments

• 40612_B0151971-00019.jpg
    40612_B0151971-00019.jpg
    828.7 KB · Views: 7
There is a two-page paper about him in this (pp. 16-17), which suggests Carl Heineken, son of Hermann Heineken and Catharina Sophia Buchholz, b. 18 Nov 1795 in Bremen, d. 4 Jan 1830 in Funchal.

Confirmed its Christain

Thursday 25 February 1830
Newspaper: Sun (London)

On the 4th of January, at Funchal, in the island of Madeira, after a long illness, Christian Heineken, M.D., in the 39th year of his age.

but the wrong one (its the previously quoted ones nephew)

SO

Christian William Heineken
12 August 1794-4 January 1830 Born Hackney, London

Father Samuel Heineken 1768–1856 Marriage: 28 Apr 1791 Jannet Donaldson

The family were "protestant dissenters" from Prussia that settled originally in Ireland.

Note: If the author of the paper in post # 66 sent a handwritten manuscript it would be normal in Victorian time to write ones name as Ch. Heineken. The editor may have assumed Ch. stood for Charles.

Paul

Last edited:
There is a two-page paper about him in this (pp. 16-17), which suggests Carl Heineken, son of Hermann Heineken and Catharina Sophia Buchholz, b. 18 Nov 1795 in Bremen, d. 4 Jan 1830 in Funchal.

A fascinating idea but I can't seem to rationalize the two opposing views

There are multiple obituaries in English Newspapers indicating its Chritian i.e.

Manchester Mercury
Tuesday 23 February 1830
At Funchal, the Island Madeira, long Illness. thirty nine years of his age, Christian Heineken M.D., son of Mr. Heineken, of Bradford

There are multiple obituaries in English Newspapers indicating its Chritian i.e.
Multiple notices in English newspapers of a death that had occurred on Madeira might presumably all derive from the same source, however.

In contemporary sources, he was also given as "Charles" here (1827) and here (1831), and as "Karl" here (1827 -- this is a German abstract of a paper he had published in English as "C."). With Martin's 1829 paper, that makes four distinct sources where we can find him under this name.

He was "Christian" here (1846), though -- albeit this is somewhat later, not really contemporary.

In his own publications, he usually just appeared as "C. Heineken" -- e.g. here (1824), here (1826), here (1826), here (1827), here (1828), here (1829), here (1829), here (1829), here (1829), here (1829), here (1830).

Last edited:
Well Christian William's father Nicholas Thomas was living in Bradford so that shows that the newspaper account and official birth records align and he was not from Bremen. His family was rather fundamentalist and although there is little doubt that he was born and christened Christian I suggest he was uncomfortable with this name and I suspect rarely called anything except Dr Heineken.

Last edited:
Have we seen any official death record?

Apart from that are ODs for (syn. Columba trocaz, subsp. Sylvia atricapilla) somewhere available.

Maybe we are talking about two different persons both an Madeira?

Well Christian William's father Samuel was living in Bradford so that shows that the newspaper account and official birth records align and he was not from Bremen.
They do not align perfectly -- the age he's given in the newspaper accounts ("in the 39th year of his age") does not match the official birth date of any of the two apparent candidates. Christian would have been in his 36th year on 4 Jan 1830, and Carl in his 35th year. If anything, this suggests there was a common source for the accounts giving him this age, and this source may not have been Christian's close family, as one might have expected them to know better.

Is it possible to find the given name of the "C. Heineken" who was a practitioner in Bow, Middlesex, about 1819-20 ? (The one who published this.) In the "Carl" narrative, this is where Heineken is told to have contracted tuberculosis, which was the reason of his move to Madeira.

PS - The newspaper accounts cited above can be seen at here (Sun) and here (Manchester Mercury).

Here yet more evidence it's Christian:

But this does identify his father was Nicolas Thomas Heineken thus the Christian in question was Yet another cousin!

Christian Heineken
27 July 1791-4 January 1830 Also born Middlesex, London.

Now the dates fit perfectly

Attachments

• 40612_B0147104-00115.jpg
    40612_B0147104-00115.jpg
    428.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Here yet more evidence it's Christian:

Original publication: Report and Transactions - The Devonshire Association for the Advancement of Science, Literature and Art

In the original text, there was a footnote associated to the sentence describing Christian's fate in Madeira, with a reference to:
(...which, unfortunately, called him "Dr. Heineken" only, and gave no hints about his origins.)

Thanks to Laurent (here), the OD of Jardine's heineken (1830) has finally surfaced:
Curruca Heineken;* mihi Spec. Nov. Dr. Heineken's Black Cap.—The first discovery of this bird is I believe due to Dr. Heineken, and, at the request of Mr. Carruthers, I have named it in honour of that gentleman. ...
[...]
C. Heiniken [sic], Mas.—Corpore olivaceo, capite, ...
[...]
C. Heiniken, Fæm. ? —Corpore olivaceo subtus ...

[direct link = here]

The footnote [*] takes us here (with the Plate here).

Thanks Laurent!

🏆

Björn

No. 10, also from on page 186: "[Curruca] Heineckeni. Jard. 213" + "[Sylvia] Heineckeni. Jard. (Madeira)", on p.237
[According to Rey (No. 213); a synonym of today's (Eurasian) Blackcap Sylvia atricapilla]

Apparently there is, or was, a "Curruca Heineckeni", by Jardine (OD unseen), mentioned at least here; claimed to have been published in; "Edinb. Journ. nat. geogr. sc. IV. 241".

Which I assume is The Edinburgh Journal of (Natural and Geographical) Science (only vol. 2 and 3 is in the BHL). But I assume it´s yet another typo, for today's subspecies Sylvia atricapilla heineken JARDINE 1830. According to the Richmond card (here) this subspecies is described as "Curruca Heineken" (no ending-i), in the same Edinburgh journal, ... but in No. 1! On p.243!? A remarkable amount of "typos" in those days!?

Anyone who have seen it?

The same journal (No.1) is also includes "Columba Trocaz" HEINEKEN 1829, on p.230 ... here. But nothing on any "Curruca Heineken" on p.243.?

I wonder if his name truly was Heineken or Heinecken?

Hi Björn,

I had been wondering why Sylvia atricapilla heineken had no ending i, which is not usual, as it is an eponym. While browsing through this forum I found your reply, quoted above.

You mention that Curruca Heineckeni might be a typo, but I wonder if the original heineken wasn't a typo in itself... what do you think?

Hi Björn,

I had been wondering why Sylvia atricapilla heineken had no ending i, which is not usual, as it is an eponym. While browsing through this forum I found your reply, quoted above.

You mention that Curruca Heineckeni might be a typo, but I wonder if the original heineken wasn't a typo in itself... what do you think?
Gonçalo, to be honest, I don't know what I think, I have no opinion either way, like I wrote it, it might be a typo (and it, just as well, might not), I just observed how it was written in earlier sources (trying to trace the OD).

Your guess is as good as mine.

In any case, also note that there have been several other eponyms not ending in -i, nor (the feminine) -ae, even if either one (most certainly) is the most common practice (re. genitive endings). And, there are, as well, quite a few toponyms ending in -i (mostly coined by G. M. Mathews), etc., etc. ...

Many earlier Authors have treated their "Latin" in various (wilful) ways. One way doesn't always exclude the other.

Cheers!

/B

Last edited:

Hi Gonçalo,

The Code (see Art. 31.1) allows explicitly the use of an unmodified personal name (treated as a noun in apposition in the nominative singular) as a specific name, as an alternative to the more usual use of names with a Latin genitive ending.
It's true that this is not what Jardine usually did, though. But, on the other hand, Jardine was explicit that he was naming this species on someone else's request (see Björn's post #76 above) : it is conceivable that this other person had suggested the name.
Anyway, I can see no hard evidence of an inadvertent error in the OD (other than the name having been spelled once "Heiniken", that is), and the name is certainly acceptable as it stands.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back