• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From my Manhattan Window (1 Viewer)

another duck

Hello,

Last Sunday, i saw a female gadwall at the Reservoir and immediately thereafter an immature chestnut sided warbler. Several days in a row, I have seen ruby throated hummingbirds around some jewelweed. At first, I thought it was an insect landing on a branch, but my binocular revealed my error. I am not used to seeing a hummer sitting still. On Wednesday, I was alerted to an American bittern near a tupelo tree.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Attachments

• gadwall,female.jpg
    gadwall,female.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 10
  • warbler, chestnut sided.jpg
    warbler, chestnut sided.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Hummingbird, ruby throated II.jpg
    Hummingbird, ruby throated II.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 11
  • American Bittern.jpg
    American Bittern.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 11
A good day!

Hello all,

Near Strawberry Fields, someone pointed out an uncommon visitor, a Lincoln Sparrow and then a flycatcher which could have been a willow flycatcher or alder flycatcher, as they are identical. It did not provide a call which distinguishes between the two species.

I continued to "the oven," where I sighted a northern parula and then a female rose breasted grosbeak appeared. In a tupelo tree a brown thrasher turned up,

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• Lincoln sparrow.jpg
    Lincoln sparrow.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 10
  • alder flycatcher.jpg
    alder flycatcher.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Northern Parula.jpg
    Northern Parula.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 8
  • rose breasted grosbeak.jpg
    rose breasted grosbeak.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 9
  • brown thrasher.jpg
    brown thrasher.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 8
Yesterday and today

Hello,

I neglected to mention seeing a black throated blue warbler, yesterday. This morning I briefly joined a group from the Linnean society at Strawberry Fields. my usual starting point. The group leader pointed out a Cape May warbler but I spotted a bird which someone suggested was a great crested flycatcher but I did not think so. It was revealed as a yellow billed cuckoo, which I had missed by a few minutes the day before. The yellow billed cuckoo is a life bird. High over the Lake, someone spotted a peregrine falcon which nest in the city's high places.

There are still black and white warblers, American redstarts, rose breasted grosbeaks, green herons and female ruby throated hummingbirds in the park. One of the fairly common birds is our northern flicker.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Attachments

• Warbler, black-throated blue.jpg
    Warbler, black-throated blue.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Cape May Warblers.jpg
    Cape May Warblers.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Cuckoo, yellow billed.jpg
    Cuckoo, yellow billed.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Peregrine falcon.jpg
    Peregrine falcon.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Northern Flicker (Eckstrom).jpg
    Northern Flicker (Eckstrom).jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 8
Hello,

I neglected to mention seeing a black throated blue warbler, yesterday. This morning I briefly joined a group from the Linnean society at Strawberry Fields. my usual starting point. The group leader pointed out a Cape May warbler but I spotted a bird which someone suggested was a great crested flycatcher but I did not think so. It was revealed as a yellow billed cuckoo, which I had missed by a few minutes the day before. The yellow billed cuckoo is a life bird. High over the Lake, someone spotted a peregrine falcon which nest in the city's high places.

There are still black and white warblers, American redstarts, rose breasted grosbeaks, green herons and female ruby throated hummingbirds in the park. One of the fairly common birds is our northern flicker.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Hello Arthur!

Congratulations on your two "very good days!":t:

Bob

Weird weather

Hello,

Yesterday, the high temperature was a bit less than 34ºC; today the temperature dropped from 18ºC, near midnight to a little over 12ºC and was damp with showers and drizzle. Sunday, I saw my first red bellied woodpecker in months, and a sharp shinned hawk. Yesterday, I saw a phoebe. Today, I saw what I think may have been a swanson's thrush but I definitely saw Eastern Towhees.

I never considered bird watching a contact sport until I read a guide's encounter with an irate bird watcher.

All images are by Louis Agassiz Fuertes in Birds of New York by Eaton.
Happy bird watching,
Arthur :scribe:

Attachments

• Red bellied woodpecker.jpg
    Red bellied woodpecker.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Sharp shinned hawk.jpg
    Sharp shinned hawk.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 10
  • phoebe.jpg
    phoebe.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Swainson's thrush.jpg
    Swainson's thrush.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 11
  • towhee, etc.jpg
    towhee, etc.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 10
More birds of the season

Hello,

In the past week one of our cold weather bird, the white throated sparrow, as well as an American goldfinch in autumnal plumage. There were more migrants: a song sparrow, carolina wrens and a pine warbler..

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• White throated sparrow.jpg
    White throated sparrow.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 9
  • American goldfinch, autumnal.jpg
    American goldfinch, autumnal.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Song sparrow.jpg
    Song sparrow.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 8
  • carolina wren.jpg
    carolina wren.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Pine warblers.jpg
    Pine warblers.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 12
Hi Athur -

Nice stuff:t: do you manage to get down to Central Park or are you housebound?

Laurie -

Hello Laurie,

Virtually all my sightings are in Central Park. I like to take a five km walk, sometimes longer, most mornings. One km to Central Park, one km home, and three km in the park. From home, I see very few species, but I have seen an American woodcock, woodpeckers and thrushes from my window.

I neglected to mention that I saw a scarlet tanager, this week.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• Scarlet Tananger.jpg
    Scarlet Tananger.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 10
Autumn begins

Hello all,

Autumn has finally arrived after the summer of my discontent. There are few warblers about but a plethora of hermit thrushes greeted me, today. I have seen both golden crowned and ruby crown kinglets. Indeed they were practically on my morning walk. There have been quite a few yellow bellied sapsuckers, as well. My best of today was my first chipping sparrow of the season but there are plenty of white throated sparrows and song sparrows turning up in Central Park.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• kinglets.jpg
    kinglets.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 9
  • yellow bellied sapsucker.jpg
    yellow bellied sapsucker.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 9
  • chipping sparrow.jpg
    chipping sparrow.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 10
ducks

Hello all,

A quick note. Yesterday, I saw my first ruddy ducks of the season, a male gadwall and shovellers in full plumage. With the mallards, I had a four duck day.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• Ruddy duck.jpg
    Ruddy duck.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 9
  • gadwall, male.jpg
    gadwall, male.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 7
two more duckies

Hello all,

I was gone from New York City for ten days, then I had other commitments, including today.

Yesterday, I saw nothing but kinglets and a hermit thrush, until I arrived at the Central Park Reservoir, where I saw a female green winged teal, a first for the season and male and female buffleheads., also recent arrivals. The shovellers were in various stages of plumage and there were flocks of ruddy ducks.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• green winged teal.jpg
    green winged teal.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 12
  • buffleheads.jpg
    buffleheads.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 13
predators and

Hello,

This week, I did see a pair of Cooper hawks, and got a nice view of a low flying mature red-tailed hawk trying to gain some altitude.

Wednesday and Thursday, I had good views of a great blue heron, both standing in the Lake's shallows and aloft. I did see a female redwing blackbird, which I would not expect so late in this autumnal season.

I though I saw a small flycatcher near the Lake, but I could not identify it. I recall yellow and great plumage on the breast but it was a fleeting glimpse

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• cooper hawk.jpg
    cooper hawk.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 9
  • great blue heron.jpg
    great blue heron.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 11
  • red winged blackbirds.jpg
    red winged blackbirds.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 12
  • red-tailed hawk, aloft.jpg
    red-tailed hawk, aloft.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 11
Autumn birds

Hello all,

On Sunday, I saw my first juncos and my first hooded mergansers of the season. Along with the hooded mergansers, today, I saw mallards, shovelers, a flock of gadwalls, and buffleheads. I also saw downy and red bellied woodpeckers, today. Best of all, I finally saw a white breasted nuthatch, which I have awaited with some anticipation, as it is one of my favourite cold weather birds.
On Monday, I saw my first house finch of the season. The next day, saw an immature Cooper hawk.

I attach an autumnal view of Central Park's Azalea pond, photographed with an iPod touch. The other illustrations are by Louis Agassiz Fuertes as published in Birds of New York.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Attachments

• juncoes.jpg
    juncoes.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 6
  • hooded mergansers.jpg
    hooded mergansers.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 10
  • nuthatches II.jpg
    nuthatches II.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 8