• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone Familiar With Fujicon Binoculars? (1 Viewer)

Hikerman

Hello!
I saw an old thread (2012) about this brand and thought I would seek info from a new thread. Any help is much appreciated!
Ok here's what I know. My brother bought a pair of binoculars for our father I believe in Manilla, while he was on a short holiday during a tour in Viet Nam. Year was approximately 1964 or 1965.
On left prism plate next to eyepiece it says...
Fujicon
Superior Prismatic
Finest Precision
Triple Coated
Superior Deluxe Lens

On right side....
50X50
Field 11°
Wide Angle
No. 82267

I have tried to research this pair of binoculars without any luck. Hoping someone has familiarity with this brand/type.

Hello!
I saw an old thread (2012) about this brand and thought I would seek info from a new thread. Any help is much appreciated!
Ok here's what I know. My brother bought a pair of binoculars for our father I believe in Manilla, while he was on a short holiday during a tour in Viet Nam. Year was approximately 1964 or 1965.
On left prism plate next to eyepiece it says...
Fujicon
Superior Prismatic
Finest Precision
Triple Coated
Superior Deluxe Lens

On right side....
50X50
Field 11°
Wide Angle
No. 82267

I have tried to research this pair of binoculars without any luck. Hoping someone has familiarity with this brand/type.

Hi, and welcome:

Yes, I will be glad to help. Most others won’t because they want to be kind and politically correct. For me, being politically correct is a tremendous waste of time and dances around the question.

I will address your points.

Fujicon — Fujicon is a name Asian arse orifices came up to suck money from those poor souls hearing of FUJINON (non not con) quality. I sold hundreds of Fujinon binos over 21 years.

Superior Prismatic
— Yeah, right.

Finest Precision — Compared to what?

Triple Coated — If they had the money for that, they wouldn’t need to lie about everything else. ‘A phrase they stole from David Bushnell’s “triple tested.”

Superior Deluxe Lens — There is no such thing as a “deluxe lens” in the world of real optics. That’s just something to look important to the untutored.

50X50 and Field 11° — There is no such thing as a 50x50 binocular. If so, it would provide an exit pupil of 1 mm meaning the image would be as dark as a black cat ... in a cave... at midnight.

Wide Angle — 11 degrees WOULD BE “wide angle.” However, the same company produced a 100x100 (also a fraud to sucker the newbie), which also had an 11-degree field of view. So, how could the magnification be doubled with the field of view remaining the same.

Please see the attached, to see another Fuji ... CON (with emphasis on the CON) binocular.

No. 82267 — So, they made 82,000+ of these paperweights? I think not.

Nope, I don’t pull the heads off baby chicks at Easter. However, such sacks of animated sewage, who take money from the innocent newbie, get me spun up.

Welcome to the club. You will find answers you want here ... and perhaps some you don’t. BUT if you hang around a while you will have your understanding expanded and, perhaps, a little money saved.

If the binocular is collimated well enough, FORGET ALL THE LYING JUNK ON THE BACKPLATES AND use it and be happy until you can buy something better. :cat:

Cheers,

Bill

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-17 at 10.34.45 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-05-17 at 10.34.45 PM.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
To add to the FujiCON saga, way back in the 80's there was a camera brand called TopCON. I wonder if they were related.

Lee

Hi, and welcome:

Yes, I will be glad to help. Most others won’t because they want to be kind and politically correct. For me, being politically correct is a tremendous waste of time and dances around the question.

I will address your points.

Fujicon — Fujicon is a name Asian arse orifices came up to suck money from those poor souls hearing of FUJINON (non not con) quality. I sold hundreds of Fujinon binos over 21 years.

Superior Prismatic
— Yeah, right.

Finest Precision — Compared to what?

Triple Coated — If they had the money for that, they wouldn’t need to lie about everything else. ‘A phrase they stole from David Bushnell’s “triple tested.”

Superior Deluxe Lens — There is no such thing as a “deluxe lens” in the world of real optics. That’s just something to look important to the untutored.

50X50 and Field 11° — There is no such thing as a 50x50 binocular. If so, it would provide an exit pupil of 1 mm meaning the image would be as dark as a black cat ... in a cave... at midnight.

Wide Angle — 11 degrees WOULD BE “wide angle.” However, the same company produced a 100x100 (also a fraud to sucker the newbie), which also had an 11-degree field of view. So, how could the magnification be doubled with the field of view remaining the same.

Please see the attached, to see another Fuji ... CON (with emphasis on the CON) binocular.

No. 82267 — So, they made 82,000+ of these paperweights? I think not.

Nope, I don’t pull the heads off baby chicks at Easter. However, such sacks of animated sewage, who take money from the innocent newbie, get me spun up.

Welcome to the club. You will find answers you want here ... and perhaps some you don’t. BUT if you hang around a while you will have your understanding expanded and, perhaps, a little money saved.

If the binocular is collimated well enough, FORGET ALL THE LYING JUNK ON THE BACKPLATES AND use it and be happy until you can buy something better. :cat:

Cheers,

Bill

Thank you very much Bill! You gave me what I needed...the truth!
It's so unfortunate that in our politically-correct world these days, that truth is in short supply. I appreciate honesty over sugar coating any day!
Be well,
Gene

Hi Lee,
Topcon was a top camera and scientific instrument maker comparable in quality to Nikon.
Nothing con about them.
One problem was that they were too good, too early, and made the mistake of using the Exakta bayonet mount.
This has a very small opening, so the lens designers were immediately hampered.
My Topcon Super DM is top quality.
The Topcon 300mm f/2.8 is very long and heavy and I put a Minolta to Exakta adapter on it. It is a very tight fit, I am not sure I could get it off, so the mount is not quite Exakta. It is a very good lens and much earlier than other 300mm f/2.8 lenses. It gives good results on Minolta and would probably work O.K. on a Sony full frame digital camera although I haven't tried it. I got a Sigma 300mm f/2.8 in Canon FD mount for very little money. It is modern and works well as it has a manual aperture control if needed. Canon FD to Sony adapter.

The same problem occurs with Contax, Nikon rangefinder and Kiev mounts. They are thought to be the same but they aren't.
I marked a brand new Zunow 50mm f/1.1 Nikon rangefinder lens by putting it on a Kiev 4.

As to the 50x50 binocular. It is a scam with just blatant lies marked on it.
The internet is awash with similar scams, fakes and fraud.

However, my 30x50 Yukon is not that dark and has great resolution, but poor coatings. It is a folded refractor binocular.
There are 32x50 binoculars, but the eye relief is terrible.
For astro work a good quality 50x50 binocular could work, but aligning it would be difficult. To make it well would cost more than it is worth.
My 25-135x80 Japanese Porroprism binocular works well at 80x. Nothing wrong with a 1mm exit pupil.
However, a spotting scope is much more sensible.

Regards,
B.

Hi Lee,
Topcon was a top camera and scientific instrument maker comparable in quality to Nikon.
Nothing con about them.
One problem was that they were too good, too early, and made the mistake of using the Exakta bayonet mount.
The Topcon 300mm f/2.8 is very long and heavy and I put a Minolta to Exakta adapter on it. It is a very tight fit, I am not sure I could get it off, so the mount is not quite Exakta. It is a very good lens and much earlier than other 300mm f/2.8 lenses. It gives good results on Minolta and would probably work O.K. on a Sony full frame digital camera although I haven't tried it. I got a Sigma 300mm f/2.8 in Canon FD mount for very little money. It is modern and works well as it has a manual aperture control if needed. Canon FD to Sony adapter.

The same problem occurs with Contax, Nikon rangefinder and Kiev mounts. They are thought to be the same but they aren't.
I marked a brand new Zunow 50mm f/1.1 Nikon rangefinder lens by putting it on a Kiev 4.

However, my 30x50 Yukon is not that dark and has great resolution, but poor coatings. It is a folded refractor binocular.
For astro work a good quality 50x50 binocular could work, but aligning it would be difficult. To make it well would cost more than it is worth.
My 25-135x80 Japanese Porroprism binocular works well at 80x. Nothing wrong with a 1mm exit pupil.

Regards,
B.

"Nothing wrong with a 1mm exit pupil."

Please, my friend, let us agree to disagree, agreeably. :cat:

Bill

Hi Lee,
Nothing con about them.

Regards,
B.

Thanks for this. I must admit I was put off by the name all those years ago and have stuck with Canon every since.

Lee

Topcon are still very much in existence - they make survey equipment and machine control systems for agriculture and construction. Very high quality kit indeed - nothing at all shonky about them.

Binastro has a point - from an astronomical observation standpoint, there's nothing unusual about using a 1mm exit pupil: a good 100 mm (4 inch) refractor should easily be able to stand well over 100x magnification under stable seeing conditions.

Topcon are still very much in existence - they make survey equipment and machine control systems for agriculture and construction. Very high quality kit indeed - nothing at all shonky about them.

And the relationship between Fujicon binoculars and Topcon is what please?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back