• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greater Manchester Birding (1 Viewer)

Stand on Zanzibar

England
There doesn't seem to be a thread for Greater Manchester on here. (If there is it must be pages back, I wonder why - no decent birds?) I'm not sure that starting one with news of a dead bird is a very auspicious start.....

On my way out of the new Manchester court building (the "Civil Justice Centre") on Bridge Street this morning, I spotted a crumpled bundle of feathers lying on the pavement at the foot of the building's huge glass frontage (about the size of a football pitch stood on end). It turned out to be a Woodcock which must have hit quite high up and then plummeted down during the night. I debated picking it up to take home to show the family, but had no plastic bag. I picked up a stray feather though. Still, I'm back there this afternoon....

Interesting to see just what is flying over even the centre of our cities. I just worry it won't be the last victim of this particular wall of glass.

Shame I can't add this to my 'Birds seen at court' list (but I've been meaning to start "Birds I have found dead" list for a while now), which includes an escaped Cockateil clambering around on the scaffolding netting on the old Manchester Magistrates Court and a Buzzard over Salford Quays, during a 3 day hearing at Salford County Court - I can't remember anything about the case, save having to fight back the urge to interrupt everyone in court to get them to take a look.

Tim

Are there no birds or are there no bird watchers - always puzzled me about Grt. Manchester.

Must also agree with Rob - just cos you live in Manchester doesnt mean you need an ASBO!!

Woodcock

I think this what you saw. I took it to Manchester Museum.

Attachments

• 19-20th Nov 07 pictures 026.jpg
    19-20th Nov 07 pictures 026.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 184
  • 19-20th Nov 07 pictures 030.jpg
    19-20th Nov 07 pictures 030.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 152
I think this what you saw. I took it to Manchester Museum.

I wondered where it had gone! Here's a photo of my feather. It was loose at the side of the bird. I didn't see any others but I suppose that they could have blown away.

I don't think it was a Peregrine kill, it didn't look to have been 'fed on' and it was right under the glass frontage.

Tim

Attachments

• DSCF2985.jpg
    DSCF2985.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Mind you - Greater Manchester Courts seem good for birds - I work opposite Stockport Magistrates - and we've had Parakeet, Buzzard and believe it or not dead Woodcock too!

Thriving birding scene in Greater Manchester - check out:

www.manchesterbirding.com

and its own Forum for more details!

Could it have been a peregrine kill? They often hunt waders at night.

M

Hi Mike how are you doin'

doubt very much a peregrine kill....there may have been a peregrine chase. The injuries are consistant with having gone into a window. It is the second bird I know of that has gone into the justice building...the other was a woodcock too.

Adrian

It seems we still have the death penalty. If you build glass structures next to rivers you have to expect birds to die as a result.

Me thinks a bird that was migrating from the continent and was looking for a nice place to call home for the winter but had an abrupt end to its trip.

What exactly is Greater Manchester, Tim? It's not a county is it? Rochdale is in Lancashire so where on an address does 'Greater Manchester' come? I live in Walsden, just over the border from Lancashire and I'm always curious about GM. (Yes, I do live in Yorkshire, although our postcode is OL - Lancashire)

Sandra

Confused before? You will be now! :)

I live in Lowton - which is now in Cheshire but used to be in Lancashire - but my local council is Wigan Met., which is a metropolitan borough of Greater Manchester! If I walk fifty yards down the road I'm in Leigh, which is in Greater Manchester but has the postal address of Lancs!!

So - nice and straightforward . . .

Jonathan

Sorry Sandra but Rochdale is Greater Manchester and not Lancasire (Now anyway). It was all done in the reorganisation back in the 70's if I remember my local history right.

I live in Bolton where Nat 'The Lion of Vienna' Lofthouse comes from, with that info no need for the Greater Manchester bit.;)

Last edited:
I live in Bury, Greater Manchester (although the post office insist we put Lancashire on our address!). Of course, I refuse. Being originally from Yorkshire - I could never be a Lancastrian!

You think you lot have got it bad.
I'm on a Liverpool postcode, a Southport tel. area code and our district is officially South Ribble (used to be West Lancs which it should still be!). True no-man's land. ;)

You think you lot have got it bad.
I'm on a Liverpool postcode, a Southport tel. area code and our district is officially South Ribble (used to be West Lancs which it should still be!). True no-man's land. ;)

Almost as bad as we are, Jaff. We are physically in West Yorkshire; council is Calderdale; postcode is Oldham (?); postal address has to say Lancashire; and phone code is Rochdale.

Sandra

This thread seems to have turned into a "what is manchester" thread.

Juat to get in back on track - have a Firecrest in my garden at the moment - a nice garden tick. Benn trying to get a decent picture all day, but this is the best I could do as it has been very illusive.

Attachments

• crest1.jpg
    crest1.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 144
  • crest2.jpg
    crest2.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 143
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back