• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor - Algerian Sahara (1 Viewer)

GavinM

Improving user
Hi, I'm working out here and have no literature with me on the birdlife and the google is very patchy on this part of the world.

Hunting on the airstrip a couple of days ago, and above a strip of trees yesterday a large (buzzard, small eagle, large harrier) sized bird was hunting.

Fingered wings, converse shape to spread to tail feathers, patchy light grey/black colouring on wings and back. Hunting just above tree height, focusing along an area then making a large arc and doing the same thing starting about 100 yards back. Gliding while hunting, slow wingbeats while arcing. Hunting with the sun at it's back.

Saw it from above while landing and in silhouette from the ground, so no further details.

Is it possible for anyone to give any ideas what it might be, and what I might look out for in any future observations?

Thanks as always.

In between all the hard work this morning :smoke: I managed to find a Western Sahara checklist. Have whittled it down to the following possibilities,

Black Kite Milvus migrans maybe, but did not fly like a kite.
Pallid Harrier Circus macrourus Maybe
Montagu's Harrier Circus pygargus Most like
Booted Eagle Aquila pennata Possible Pale, perhaps not big enough.

Normally I'd have looked at the Monty's picture and said 'yeah, that's it' but it flew unlike any Harrier I've seen. Much more like a Buzzard. Is this a Montague characteristic?

Obviously I'll get a better look before I claim to have seen one, just very intriguing, as there's really not much alive here at all with less than six legs.

Sub-adult male Marsh Harrier could be added to the possibilities, they do winter in that region I believe and description fits

Both Montagu's and Pallid harrier are reasonnably common in the sahelian belt in Northern Burkina Faso (not so far of Southern Algeria). I think even Hen Harrier can be added to the possibilities: there have been severals sightings in Mauritania, so why not in Algeria?

Both Montagu's and Pallid harrier are reasonnably common in the sahelian belt in Northern Burkina Faso (not so far of Southern Algeria). I think even Hen Harrier can be added to the possibilities: there have been severals sightings in Mauritania, so why not in Algeria?

I'd love it to be Pallid, but I don't think so. I spoke with our environmental engineer over lunch and she thinks either black kite or Montagues, both are quite problematic on airstrips around here as they don't seem to recognise our little planes as something to fear. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a kite of any sort, it just didn't have that 'bird on a string' thing to its flight. It also did have a back that could most easily be Montagues. Will see. Plenty of things I can eliminate now.

Anyway, it's an excellent excuse for me to go for walks until I see it again.

:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back