• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Audubon porros vs. new Ultralite porros (1 Viewer)

jedku

Marc
Has anyone compared the 8.5x44 Audubon 820s with the new 8x42 Ultralites? Again, I am only interested in the Porro models for this thread.

The Ultralites have a narrower field of view (341 at 1000 yds). Do they truly have the eye relief advertised? I find the Audubons do not really have 17mm, though I think they are the best bins I have owned.

But, most importantly, how does the image quality compare? I have heard that the Ultralites have newer and better optical design and coatings than the Audubons and that they offer a brighter and sharper view. How do the models compare in CR, brightness, flat field, sharpness?

They seem to be the same weight as the Audubons despite their name. Does that mean the prisms are larger than the small prisms of earlier models?

I tried the Ultralite porro 8x42 when I was binocular shopping and their optics seem the same as the older non-waterproof models. Eye-relief is very good, unlike the Audubon. Close focus is the same as the older models -- 12 to 15 ft. My impression is that Swift put the same optical design in a well-armored, waterproof body. This older optical design is excellent and used to be the best of the medium-priced porros. What I don't like about the new mechanics is that the focus is rather stiff and has some slop. This is common with all the new waterproof porros. There are o-rings in the focusing system that keep it waterproof but slow the focusing down. It's hard to make a porro fully waterproof anyway, as evidenced by some people having their new waterproof audubons getting water in the eyepieces.

Optically, though, the new waterproof Ultralite porros are as good as the older models ever were. Not quite as good as the Audubons, but brighter and more contrasty than the Ultralite roofs.

Trashbird et al., thanks for the comments so far.
I have had the Audubon 820s for a couple years now. I am very happy with them. The image quality is excellent and they have proved to be very sturdy even with the vulnerable ocular design all porros have. I always close down the focus on my porros before putting them away to avoid bumps bending the ocular arms. The Audubons can be turned down to rest the oculars firmly on the objective housing.

Trashbird, sounds like you are saying that the Audubons have the superior resolution and optical quality?

The main problem I would warn others about is the short eye relief on the Audubons. It is not really 17mm. If eye relief has ever been an issue, try these bins before you buy. I have always had to keep the eye cups retracted, even when not using my eyeglasses. Nevertheless, when I use my eye glasses, I find I lose only a small amount of the FOV and the image quality remains high. This is probably because I have always chosen close fitting frames and ultrathin lenses allowing my eyeball to get close to the bins.

For the rain guard, I bought the Zeiss model that fits their old 7x42s. It is the only one big enough to cover the massive Audubon ocular housings. Works well, keeping them dry. I have no plans to immerse my bins though, even if they claim the O-ring makes them waterproof. I have not had any fogging problems or water inside the bins despite being out in all kinds of weather.

Trashbird, sounds like there is no difference in the feel of the focus wheel. I find the Audubon's a little stiff, probably from the O-ring friction. The related factor is that the focus wheel turns 2 full times to complete its run. At first I found this annoying, but I am much more adept with it now and can focus fast. The payoff is that if I have even 2 seconds or more on the bird, I can fine focus amazingly sharp. I think this is a nice feature for any bin over 8 power where focal planes can get shallow. I admit though, it takes strong fingers and good pre-focusing skills to get the best speed out of these bins.

From the online descriptions, it seems the objective housings of the Ultralites are nitrogen purged. I do not believe the Audubon's are.

I am looking forward to trying the Ultralites. I was not too impressed with the previous incarnation, though I know they were considered top quality in the mid price range. I thought the view was not as sharp as some other Porros with full-size prisms costing less, such as some of the Nikon, Pentax and Minolta porros of the 90s. If you are right Trashbird, and they are using the same prisms and coatings from the old models, I dont think they will compare well with the Audubons.

If my bins "died," I think I would go out and get another pair of Audubons straight away. But, I am always on the look out for a better bin in this reasonable price range. Simply have not found one yet.
Welcoming any other comments from anyone who has tried these bins. Thanks.

If you've gotten used to the Audubon 8.5x44 porros and have learned to deal with the eye-relief issues, I doubt you will find a better binocular for the price -- or even for twice the price.

I own the Swift Ultra Lite roofs and one feature I love is the smooth fast focussing. The eye relief is much better for me and the interpupillary distance gets close enough. The old non-waterproof Audubon porros worrked for me IPD-wise, but the new ones don't due to the new body design. The optics on the Ultra Lite roof aren't as good as the Audubon porros, but they are very good, bright and contrasty; however, the ergonomics make them a pleasure for me to use.

trashbird said:
...The old non-waterproof Audubon porros worrked for me IPD-wise, but the new ones don't due to the new body design. ...

Trashbird,

Are you referring to the 804 Audubon?

Ed

elkcub said:
Trashbird,

Are you referring to the 804 Audubon?

Ed

Yeah, Ed. The ones I used to own, 804 whatevers -- which we discussed on the history thread -- got pretty close together...I think. Maybe I am remembering my old Ultra-Lite porros, which definitely got down to something ridiculous like 52mm. Am I remembering the 804s wrong as far as IPD?

-- Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back