• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Magpies-how best to photograph & PP (1 Viewer)

David Smith

Warrington Lancs
I decided to experiment with this Magpie. Obviously not the easiest subject due to massive contrast. This one was in & out of the bushes & shadows so I tried various shots and to be fair this is one of the worst of the results but am showing this to get maximum feedback.
For the 2nd thumbnail.....all I did was was crop and play with image/highlights.

Without using RAW...............
1. How would you improve original shot i.e. with camera settings etc?
2. What PS3 tools would you use?

Attachments

• Copy of 2P6A5379.JPG
    Copy of 2P6A5379.JPG
    152.3 KB · Views: 133
  • Copy (2) of 2P6A5379.JPG
    Copy (2) of 2P6A5379.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 117
In photoshop i`d use the shadow/highlight tool for overexposed whites,however its not a tool that can perform miracles if the whites are too far blown then theirs nothing you can do to bring back lost detail.

Steve.

I have not shot in jpeg for yonks but this is what I would do as a converted RAW > Tiff. I guess it would work on a jpeg just the same.

I would expose for the white, keeping as far to the right as I dare. This would probably mean that the blacks could need a bit of lifting in processing. There are several ways to do this but an easy one is to:

Duplicate the layer
Open highlights/shadows
adjust the shadows until the blacks look right
Apply a layer mask and paint over the areas that you want the adjustments to apply to
Finally flatten the image

I think the best pic of a Magpie I have is the following. I also suspect that this does not really answer your question but may help you out ?

Attachments

• IMG_3522 copy.jpg
    IMG_3522 copy.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 118
There are several ways to do this but an easy one is to:

Duplicate the layer
Open highlights/shadows
adjust the shadows until the blacks look right
Apply a layer mask and paint over the areas that you want the adjustments to apply to
Finally flatten the image

Right-thanks Roy:-C
I have a c.d. on 'layers' and it's on my 'to do' list (learning layers etc.)

I used the following settings David. The pic was taken in April, 2006.
The speed was 1/2000 sec.
The ISO was 800.
The aperture was f6.3
And the mode was Av
Probably why it looks a touch noisy ?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back