• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Head Advice sought (1 Viewer)

stuartlawrie

Hi All
After many years dreaming I finally acquired my dream Canon 600mm F4 lens what I need now is adequate support for it.
I have a Manfrotto 055 pro legs and currently use either the 222 head or a 701rc2 fluid head.
I have been searching for information on suitable heads for the extra weight and to date 3 heads have come to my attention so thoughts and opinions sought.
1. Wimberley. (Both the Mk2 and the sidekick)
2. Kirk king Cobra
3. Manfrotto 393

Anybody any advice stroke experience of these heads especially with a big lens such as the 600mm
I also came across a forum which drew my attention to a replica 393 type and sidekick type head made somewhere in India with astounding prices so maybe if anyone has any experience of these as the price is unbelievable.

Thanks in anticipation of your flood of advice.

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

Assuming you have parted with a lot of money for the 600mm I think that skimping on the tripod and head would be a false economy.

IMHO the 055 legs will be marginal for that weight. I've got the 500mm and use a Gitzo 3540ls and compared to my 055CF legs it really is chalk and cheese.
Head wise genuine Wimberley or King Cobra must be the way to go. Anything else is risking disaster for the sake of saving, in relative terms, a few quid.

I'm using a 393 but don't think i'd recommend it for a 600mm. Mine's a hang over from my Sigma 500mm and as soon as my bank account recovers from the battering it took last year I'll go for a Wimberley

Paul

Here goes the cat amongst the pigeons then - I have used the 600mm with my 20D (+battery grip) with no problems on a 222/055 combo.

Admittedly my 055 is the original 1.25" aluminium tube model, over a decade old, which weighs a ton and the 222 was wound up tight but I had no fears of the rig collapsing.

Thanks Guys
Just for info, my manfrotto 055 is the heavyweight model, so I have no concerns on the legs side of things. Trouble is after parting with a hefty sum for the 600 not sure wifey will be to impressed on another £500 for the wimberley!! :eek!:

If you search for Gimbal on evilbay there are some Indian Wimberley knock offs that seem good quality to me. Having said that, you have a big investment in that lens of yours...

If you search for Gimbal on evilbay there are some Indian Wimberley knock offs that seem good quality to me. Having said that, you have a big investment in that lens of yours...

I have heard stories of these knock off heads failing, I wouldn't risk putting my camera/lens combo on one.

I totally agree with Paul about this subject, a cheap tripod is a false economy. I changed from 055 legs to a Gitzo and was astounded by the difference. I tested a 393 a year or so ago and was not very impressed with it, it's nice to use, but just not solid enough for my liking.

I used my old Nikon 600/4 on an 055 legset... although it may have been safe, it didn't inspire confidence as the legs seem to warp a bit at times.
Besides, skimp and you'll always be wondering about stability/safety ... and there's enough to worry about with bird photography without adding to it with lack of confidence in what you're using.
cheers,
Andy

Hi Stuart,
first off congratulations on getting the gert big lens LoL who said dreams don't come true?
You mention the Indian jobby? well i recently saw a guy using one at Wigtown Hide (the pond as there's never anything out front?) and it looked a solid piece of kit! he said that his only complaint was the weight of his set up but he wouldn't swap it. He let me have a look at some of his shots on a very smart mini laptop and they were amazing! made me want to throw the Bigma in the pond!
His tripod was VERY OLD and looked like it was made from old scaffold poles (not sure what make it was) which amused me because all his other gear was very hi tech Lol
Good luck with the head search and look after the new toy!
Cheers
Brian

I use the Kirk King Cobra head got it off Ebay for £168 including a plate they do occasionally come on ebay(none at the moment or Wimberley )I also upgaded from the Manfrotto 055 to a Gitzo 3530 which handels the weight much better.I did consider the Feisol tripod but a mad rush of blood to the head made me get the rather over priced Gitzo.I use a Canon 500

Thanks for all the advice, I finally took the plunge and purchased the Wimberley MK2, lots of money but I guess in proportion to the 600mm f4 it had to be done.
Now all I have to do is get used to using it correctly it has only had 1 outing, yesterday photographing the SEO's in Kinmel bay, whilst the weightlessness is much appreciated I still struggle to keep up with the flying owls. Only 2 decent shots out of 100 is a pretty poor hit rate!! Still guess I have to persuade the wife to allow me more time out practising to make the most of my purchase.

Thanks

Theres another head you might want to consider if weight is an issue.

Mongoose

Thanks for the link, unfortunately I have already gone for the Wimberley. I also note no mention of the 600 f4 on their website so assume it maybe is a little lacking for the really big pieces of glass such as the 600mm:eek!:

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back