• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ohio U.S.A, ID please (1 Viewer)

weather

Pirate name: Poncy Henry Goodfellow
Hi all,

It's been awhile since I've been on here, but I have a bird that's making me nuts. Me and a friend came across this little guy in a marsh. At first it's behavior was that of a Rail or a Sora, but then it flew up into some trees and we lost it. What do you good people think it is? Most folks here think it's a Swamp Sparrow without a tail...
Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

• Rail Sandy Ridge 5-24 09 078.jpg
    Rail Sandy Ridge 5-24 09 078.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 123
  • Rail 2 SR.jpg
    Rail 2 SR.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 113
Hi Mike,

That's what it appears to be. Did you have some reason for resisting that conclusion?

Best,
Jim

Hi Jim,

Yeah, it's behavior was that of a Rail, and I have never seen a Sparrow without a tail. The pictures are not great, and is hard to tell, but it's tail looked exactly like a Sora or Rail. It didn't appear to look as if it's tail was lost due to some kinda trauma.

Mike

It looks like a Swamp Sparrow without a tail to me.

Birds sometimes lose their tails when escaping from a predator, such as a cat. Staying low to the ground and in dense brush is typical Swamp Sparrow behavior.

I'd go with Swamp Sparrow. Small birds often loose their tail feathers escaping from predators, usually just one or two, but often the whole thing.
Chris

There sure seems to be a black and white creature in the upper left corner -- black mask on white face, mouth open in 2nd pic (as if it had just grabbed some tail??).
Could it be my imagination???
Marie|:S|

Hi Jim,

Yeah, it's behavior was that of a Rail, and I have never seen a Sparrow without a tail. The pictures are not great, and is hard to tell, but it's tail looked exactly like a Sora or Rail. It didn't appear to look as if it's tail was lost due to some kinda trauma.

Mike

As others have suggested, skulking like a rail is not unusual for a Swamp Sparrow. Nor is missing a tail. But perhaps it was being extra-secretive after having been traumatized by a predator -- perhaps also wanting to hide because it was feeling a bit more vulnerable than usual.

Best,
Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back