• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gitzo GT1531 sturdy enough for Canon 300mm f2.8II (when it's out) (1 Viewer)

BodyResults

I'm looking to get a new tripod for my wife. I would like to get about the lightest tripod possible that will still have enough stability. She currently uses the 100-400 lens on a 7D. In the future I'm considering the Canon 300mm f2.8 II lens for her that will only weight 5 pounds.

In your opinion do you think the GT1531 Mountaineer 6X Carbon Fiber Tripod is suitable for that lens?

Thanks
Doug

They say as a rule of thumb your tripod's maximum weight rating should be at least twice that of the kit your putting on it for the best stability. It'd be fine for the 100-400mm but for the other lens you would be best with a tripod rated to 10-12kg (22-26lbs).

They say as a rule of thumb your tripod's maximum weight rating should be at least twice that of the kit your putting on it for the best stability. It'd be fine for the 100-400mm but for the other lens you would be best with a tripod rated to 10-12kg (22-26lbs).

+1
Also consider the focal lenths you will be using - Gitzo give (conservative) recommendations as to what is appropriate, have a look at their site.
My personal suggestion would be to go for the GT2531 rater than the 1 series. I have the GT2531 and rate it very highly. It is a little heavier but the additional vibration damping and rigidity is worth it IMO.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

The weight ratio of tripod rating divided by Canon 7D + 300mmf 2.8II + ext 2x iii = 2.3 add a flash like the 430ii and it is still 2.1

You do make a good point about the focal length recomendation. I suppose for $40 less, 66% higher weight rating and .5 pounds more it probably better my needs.

Thanks
Doug

Thanks for the feedback guys.

The weight ratio of tripod rating divided by Canon 7D + 300mmf 2.8II + ext 2x iii = 2.3 add a flash like the 430ii and it is still 2.1

You do make a good point about the focal length recomendation. I suppose for $40 less, 66% higher weight rating and .5 pounds more it probably better my needs.

Thanks
Doug

Sorry I didn't realise you were intending to use a 2x extender as well! Defintely 2 series or bigger. I know it sounds like overkill when you look at the weight ratings as Gitzo's will hold FAR more than their rated weights - my 3530LS has, once, supported 100Kilo (me!) not bad considering it's 18 Kilo rating! The problem is long focal lengths (you will be approaching a 1 meter field of view) so IMO rigidity and vibration damping become the top priorities. I use both the GT2531 and CT3530LS and they both do well with my 600 F4 & 1D4 but the 3 series is significantly better at damping vibration. With your lighter (but similar focal length) setup I would go 2 series or better, it's well worth the extra weight!

Sorry I didn't realise you were intending to use a 2x extender as well! Defintely 2 series or bigger. I know it sounds like overkill when you look at the weight ratings as Gitzo's will hold FAR more than their rated weights - my 3530LS has, once, supported 100Kilo (me!) not bad considering it's 18 Kilo rating! The problem is long focal lengths (you will be approaching a 1 meter field of view) so IMO rigidity and vibration damping become the top priorities. I use both the GT2531 and CT3530LS and they both do well with my 600 F4 & 1D4 but the 3 series is significantly better at damping vibration. With your lighter (but similar focal length) setup I would go 2 series or better, it's well worth the extra weight!

I won't ask how you tested that out but you've given me the rather amusing mental image of you balancing on your tripod with one foot while you're arms and free leg flail wildly as you try to maintain your balance. ;) :'D

On a more serious note, don't forget the head Doug! You'll need a good gimbal head as well as a good tripod for that list of kit you posted.

Thanks for all the advice guys. This is exactly why I posted here. thanks for helping me avoid a mistake. Looks like GT2531 is the one I'll go with.

I won't ask how you tested that out but you've given me the rather amusing mental image of you balancing on your tripod with one foot while you're arms and free leg flail wildly as you try to maintain your balance. ;) :'D

On a more serious note, don't forget the head Doug! You'll need a good gimbal head as well as a good tripod for that list of kit you posted.

Just sat on it to prove a point after comments about me using it as a prop to help me gat up after some low level photography - dodgy knees and arthritic hip! Sorry to spoil the image but:
1. it's a Sytematic - so it's wider at the top!

2. it wan't fully extended! At my weight I am NO ACROBAT!:-O

P.S. - don't know if it's true but I read of another idiot (smaller 77 Kilo model) who reportedly suspended himself under a Gt2531! Page 4 of my 2007 Gitzo Catalogue shows a Mountaineer (3 series?) with the legs splayed at their second widest setting, but not extended, with 99Kilo on top!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back