• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dba Vhd (1 Viewer)

squidge

Wha Whassssat
Had a chance to try an 8x42 pair of these bins at a local BTO conference on Saturday. As the optic stall was very busy I was unable to find out if they were a pre production/production pair.
Although I only had them for a few minutes I have to say I was really impressed with the view. They were very sharp to the edge whilst looking at a pair of mallard on lough neagh. Colouring I would have put at neutral or very slightly blue/cold.
I had to look really hard for signs of CA but then I'm not very susceptible to it. The low sun had just broken through and there was slight glaring when looking close to it but then Ive yet to find a bin that doesn't have some glare.
They were lightweight and well balanced and I found them quite grippy with a nice tactile finish.
If I was to be ultra critical it would be that the focussing was on the slow side but thats it.
I used to own a pair of Minox hg mig and I would prefer the DBA to be honest. I did like the previous DBA even more so than the now discontinued Auroras.

Sadly I didn't have a long enough play with the DBA's but from what I did get I want a second look.

Regards Gerard.

Gerard,

I had a quick look at one of the preproduction units at BirdFair in August, but I'm sure the one you tried is from a separate small batch of demonstration and review units. The main order is due at the end of the year.

I've not said a lot about the one I tried as it wasn't the finished article, but it sounds very much like the one you tried. I found the glare a bit on the high side as well but was assured that could be sorted before the main order. It probably had the most neutral balance of any Opticron so far, though I wouldn't have gone as far as saying blue biased. The CA was already well controlled in the old model but was better still in the new. Add in slightly better contrast, and sharpness and a lower price and it looks an excellent addition to the line. Hopefully they can get that glare sorted.

David

David,

I think you did a nice job of summarizing the binocular with your last sentence or two David. I have one of the demo/review units in my possession and I am very impressed by it optically, ergonomically and mechanically.

Squidge,

I found your focus comment interesting just because it is a perfect example of how personal preferences play a part in our impressions of a binocular. I enjoyed the tension/feel of the focus but don't remember anything about how fast or slow it was. The fact that this issue didn't jump out at me usually means I didn't have an issue with it. Just an interesting point of discussion.

Other than the 7 degree field of view I really haven't found anything not to like about it in terms of the optical quality. As I mentioned in my earlier comments on the other thread, 7 degrees isn't claustrophobic by any means but after using binoculars in the 7.5 and 8 degree range you tend to notice it.

Everything else about the view is first rate. Apparent brightness, sharpness and contrast are all excellent. CA control seems to be very good within the sweetspot. Handling is very good with this particular open bridge design and the physical length and weight is very manageable. The $800 price point that these are selling at is surely going to make them attractive to folks looking for $1000 and under binocular. I would place them at the same level optically as the Zeiss Conquest HD.

Last edited:
Hi David and Frank,
Regarding the focussing it probably is a personal preference. When I focussed close to infinity I thought it felt a bit slow. I'm not sure how many turns it took but then that is in my opinion being ultra critical.
The glare wasn't severe even though I was quite close to what was a very low Sun. In normal birding I wouldn't even attempt to get that close to the Sun to view something so not a major issue.
A Caveat for this small review is that I literally had the bin for a couple of minutes so these are my impressions after those couple of minutes. If this is the demo then I look forward to the finished article as this is an excellent bin as it stands.

Regards Gerard.

Gerard,

It is interesting that you say you have tried the VHD, as there are no models in Ireland, no retailers in Ireland have seen it yet, nor have any retailers anywhere got any to show. I can only assume that you may have seen a pair that are being reviewed by Jeff Baker of the BTO or one of our other reviewers.

They are only in the hands of the Reps apart from four pairs in the UK that are being reviewed, and some on review in the USA.

Glad you like them though

Hi Chris, The VHD's were in the optics stall at the BTO conference in the RSPB discovery centre Lough Neagh N.Ireland. Technically UK but still the island of Ireland.;)
I think the stall was sponsored by Opticron but there were other brands available . I think the display was Gavin Gould & son.
I was pleasantly surprised myself when I saw them on display as I didn't think Id get to view a pair for a good while yet.
I really liked the previous DBA's but the pair I viewed seemed like a step up.:t:

Regards Gerard.

Last edited:
The DBA VHD has left the building - a week early :) First shipments went out to about thirty UK dealers yesterday so should be in store this week. Shipments to US dealers start next week.

Cheers, Pete

I've had a 10x42 example of this glass for about a month now. Testing had to take a back seat to the cold from hell, but I'll have a review up before long.

Anybody who has had a Leupold BX-3 Mojave in hand knows what these will look and feel like. The glass I think is better than the BX-3 Pro Guide HD.

Overall a very decent glass.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back