• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica service (1 Viewer)

squidge

Wha Whassssat
Recently I acquired a pair of Leica 8x20 ultravids br. The collimation was off plus the dipotre adjuster was damaged.

The previous owner got a quote of over €300 from a camera shop to get them fixed.

I thought I'd send them to Leica Germany to see what could be done so I downloaded the repair form and sent them off. Upon receiving the binoculars Leica sent an email to confirm receipt.

A week later I received an email that the binoculars were to be fixed free of charge. A few days later I received another email telling me they were fixed and being shipped with tracking number.

The binoculars upon receipt were like new except for one small detail that only an obsessive would look for. When focussed to infinity there was no more focussing left on the focus wheel.

I emailed Leica and they told me to send them back. Leica sent me a courier label to print off. The binoculars were on there way to Leica Portugal within the hour from printing the label and arranging home collection.(all free of charge).

I again received an email upon receipt of the binoculars, an email for what had to be done and another email for when they were fixed and being shipped.
All in the space of a couple of weeks and all free of charge.

Binoculars arrived with a small bit of play after infinity focus(which is what i wanted) and in top notch condition.

Very impressive service by Leica and if I'm honest before my experience with Leica, I would not have looked at Leica optics with a view to buying based on the many bad reports I had read online about Leica's after sales care.

Obviously something has changed for the better and a big thumbs up for the Leica optics team I had been dealing with. 100% for communication and service.:t:

Only problem is when choosing new optics I have another manufacturer to now consider. If I remember correctly I quite liked the view through the 8x30 Ultravids.;)

Regards Gerard.

Good to hear and thanks for sharing. Someone had mentioned last year that Leica
stated they were going to work on improving their customer service. I think that was told
to someone at the Bird Fair. Sounds like they are making good on the promise.

In the states, Leica has their HQ and service center in NJ, so it should be an easy process for me
should I ever need the service on my Uvid since I live here in NJ.

Good to hear and thanks for sharing. Someone had mentioned last year that Leica
stated they were going to work on improving their customer service. I think that was told
to someone at the Bird Fair. Sounds like they are making good on the promise.

In the states, Leica has their HQ and service center in NJ, so it should be an easy process for me
should I ever need the service on my Uvid since I live here in NJ.

The one I heard was from the Shot Show. Doug, the owner of CameraLand New York posted his discussions with Leica, and was very encouraged by what he heard re customer service moving forward. Doug stated: "We started our meeting with a long discussion about customer service and they are spearheading some major changes that I feel will make them a customer service leader. I was very pleased the way this discussion went." Doug's entire post can be seen: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=318347

Additionally, I believe the New Jersey customer service facility is under expansion. Can you confirm that Gilmore Girl?

Last edited:
The one I heard was from the Shot Show. Doug, the owner of CameraLand New York posted his discussions with Leica, and was very encouraged by what he heard re customer service moving forward. Doug stated: "We started our meeting with a long discussion about customer service and they are spearheading some major changes that I feel will make them a customer service leader. I was very pleased the way this discussion went." Doug's entire post can be seen: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=318347

Additionally, I believe the New Jersey customer service facility is under expansion. Can you confirm that Gilmore Girl?

I haven't heard anything about the expansion of their US service facility. But, there are those hints lately that Leica is coming out with new top bins possibly this Fall.

Recently I acquired a pair of Leica 8x20 ultravids br. The collimation was off plus the dipotre adjuster was damaged.

The previous owner got a quote of over €300 from a camera shop to get them fixed.

I thought I'd send them to Leica Germany to see what could be done so I downloaded the repair form and sent them off. Upon receiving the binoculars Leica sent an email to confirm receipt.

A week later I received an email that the binoculars were to be fixed free of charge. A few days later I received another email telling me they were fixed and being shipped with tracking number.

The binoculars upon receipt were like new except for one small detail that only an obsessive would look for. When focussed to infinity there was no more focussing left on the focus wheel.

I emailed Leica and they told me to send them back. Leica sent me a courier label to print off. The binoculars were on there way to Leica Portugal within the hour from printing the label and arranging home collection.(all free of charge).

I again received an email upon receipt of the binoculars, an email for what had to be done and another email for when they were fixed and being shipped.
All in the space of a couple of weeks and all free of charge.

Binoculars arrived with a small bit of play after infinity focus(which is what i wanted) and in top notch condition.

Very impressive service by Leica and if I'm honest before my experience with Leica, I would not have looked at Leica optics with a view to buying based on the many bad reports I had read online about Leica's after sales care.

Obviously something has changed for the better and a big thumbs up for the Leica optics team I had been dealing with. 100% for communication and service.:t:

Only problem is when choosing new optics I have another manufacturer to now consider. If I remember correctly I quite liked the view through the 8x30 Ultravids.;)

Regards Gerard.

That's really stand-up service! I have never had to send anything in TO be serviced but they HAVE replace objective covers promptly!

This kind of service makes one want to buy a Leica product, doesn't it?

I haven't heard anything about the expansion of their US service facility. But, there are those hints lately that Leica is coming out with new top bins possibly this Fall.

Found out that William M. Weier, Customer Care Manager for Leica USA stated in February this year that Leica customer care was slated to expand with new construction beginning in May. Whether this happened or not I do not know. His statement is below.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-07-06 at 8.03.56 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-07-06 at 8.03.56 PM.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back