• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shots on sunlight (1 Viewer)

Mugil

Andy and others digiscopers!

I do not know if it is a case only of my camera but I realize that shots done in shadow or low light conditions are "better" than those on sunlight. It seems that are more soft ... or I am wrong?
And the other thing is that on my camera I can not set manualy the apperture (f) and sometimes it is better to use spot mettering on some whiter object to get better shot, but the problem is also with automatic spot mettering regarding the sharpnes. Boooooo... I hope it will be better with CP 4500. Tomorow it is a day D. I will go to buy it!B :)

Last edited:
Hi Mugil,

We may find a difference of opinion here. Personally I find bright sunlight too contrasty for first rate photography, particularly when trying to maintain detail in both the bright highlight area and the dark shadowy areas. I also do not like dull conditions, yes you no longer have the strong contrast problem, but now it's replaced by muddy colours and lack of contrast. Fine detail and true colour rendition is very difficult to achieve in such conditions.

I find the ideal conditions are a brightly overcast day with even cloud cover. The brightness promotes faster shutter speeds and the evenly spread thin cloud cover removes the problem of bright highlights whilst still enabling bright colours and true colour rendition. Because to the brightness range being shorter you can maintain detail in all areas of the subject.

I generally only use the auto settings for digiscoping. I use the spot metering, taken from the brightest highlight whenever possible, half depress the shutter which locks the setting and then re-frame the shot and refocus it using the scope adjustment.

In those bright overcast conditions it's an ideal technique.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back