• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cuba, February 2017 - Waterthrush (1 Viewer)

Warixenjalka

Birdwitcher
Finland
Photos taken again near Varadero, north coast of Cuba.

All photos from same bird, Northern or Louisiana Waterthrush?

Attachments

• IMG_6655a.jpg
    IMG_6655a.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_6656a.jpg
    IMG_6656a.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_6658a.jpg
    IMG_6658a.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 22
Fair enough. Looking at these pics I make it:-

Pro Louie- pale legs, maybe more well spaced flank streaks.
Pro Northie- small bill, white super in front of eye, narrow rear super, streaked throat, is that mangroves (?)

which of these features are actually true to what the bird would actually look like in real life?

Last edited:
Fair enough. Looking at these pics I make it:-

Pro Louie- pale legs, maybe more well spaced flank streaks.
Pro Northie- small bill, white super in front of eye, narrow rear super, streaked throat, is that mangroves (?)

which of these features are actually true to what the bird would actually look like in real life?
Your guess is at least as good as mine ;)

Cant remember the voice. Habitat was kind of mangrove... but only very thin belt round the "lake".
Northern is more common than Louisianan, but both are quite common in Cuba at wintertime. If I had understand right...

I think this is pretty clearly a Northern Waterthrush. The dense streaking below, streaking in throat, small bill, and grayish pink legs are all good for Northern.

Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back