• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB pin badges (1 Viewer)

Hope this is the right place for this.

I collect the RSPB pin badges, the ones of birds. Well I say the ones of birds, they now do a wide range of things from insects to wildflowers. I have roughly 80 so far and was wondering if anyone has a full list of the ones that they do?

Thank you

Scholesy

According to their website they have approx 170 species with about 200 various designs there is a collectors group might be worth contacting them.

"We have approx 170 different species including animals, insect, birds, and flowers, with approx 200 variations - from varying designs and different backing cards.
For those of you after different backing cards for the same species, we have a large selection of variations and special editions.
Contact the Collectors’ Group on 07802 293417, or e-mail: [email protected] to find out more."

Thanks for that. Might be worth me doing in the long run, although I aren't too fussed about backing cards as mine are all on a cork board. 170 is still a fair few, better get saving some pennies.

Scholesy

I got mine from Frampton Marsh, so it might be worth checking your local RSPB sites/shops. They're in little cardboard boxes.

I'm looking for a short eared owl pin if anybody wants to trade for an otter pin.

Sorry for bumping this but I have thought about collecting, and I have noticed different versions of these badges with some having the same species. Do these species differ from version from version or do some versions have the exact same moulds?

I got mine from Frampton Marsh, so it might be worth checking your local RSPB sites/shops. They're in little cardboard boxes.

I'm looking for a short eared owl pin if anybody wants to trade for an otter pin.

don't think there is a Short eared owl.

Not that this helps, but I got a chaffinch, greenfinch, great tit, and pied wagtail at the park headquarters in Grassington, Yorkshire Dales when I was there this summer. Anyway, I wish the ABA made these.

Went along to an RSPB event and they had them in the back of a van in little draws. Which meant I could just tell them which ones I wanted and they fetched them for me!! Cost me a fortune, but got some nice new ones. The red fox one is stunning.

Well worth keeping an eye out for this type of thing, like the aren't birds brilliant days.

There were a few boxes on the stand looking at the Peregrine Falcons near the Tate gallery, opposite St. Pauls in London last week. (But no SEOs) :(

I got a Bearded tit pin.

Last edited:
There were a few boxes on the stand looking at the Peregrine Falcons near the Tate gallery, opposite St. Pauls in London last week. (But no SEOs) :(

I got a Bearded tit pin.

Don't think they do an SEO one, but they do barn owls, tawny and snowy. The other new bird of prey ones are pretty cool too, both the hobby and merlin are nice.

Nope, there isn't a Short Eared Owl.

Some of the early ones fetch a lot of money. I used to have a load of the early ones but the only one I still have is the silver skylark that was done for the millennium.

I got a Bearded tit pin.

i may have been hallucinating but i'm sure i saw a SEO pin last time i was at old moor.

This was the reply; Thanks for your enquiry.
As of yet the RSPB do not have a short eared owl badge although it is one species that has been considered.
Maybe sometime in the future.
regards

Mark Weston
Pin Badge Collectors Group Coordinator
RSPB South East Regional Office

If anyone has one I'm interested.

You can download a current list of badges available here.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/supporting/fundraise/individuals/rspb/pinbadges/pinbadgecollectors.asp Download is at top right.

Over the years, badges have changed and there are later versions of the same species - eg an earlier sitting buzzard was replaced by flying buzzard.

At the same time, the backing cards change periodically to keep the range fresh. Serious collectors try to collect these versions as well as just the badge itself.

And then from time to time, they do limited editions to mark certain events - such as a Marsh Harrier for Minsmere's anniversary, a Black Winged Stilt for Titchwell when Sammy was alive and a range for Scotland or Saving the Sumatran Rain Forest.

I was one of the first volunteers to mind pin badge boxes when they were first introduced as a trial. I kept one of each badge as a way of knowing what was out there and in case I ever got a special request. They sat in the back of a cupboard for a few years doing nothing so I took them all to an event and put them in a box. A few days later a collector came in, rummaged through the box and bought the lot!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back