• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scotland (1 Viewer)

sussexbirders

Bird Mad Booker
United Kingdom
Hi me and my dad are going to Scotland next month and was wondering if anyone cold help us with sites for Ptarmigan, Black grouse,capercallie and golden eagle, thank you

The least effort for Ptarmigan is still Glenshee ski area, drive to the ski centre and take the Cairnwell ski lift. No restrictions on movement as per Cairngorm, Ptarmigan can be mere yards from the top of the ski lift. Loads of Mountain Hares as well.

John

Findhorn Valley is good for Golden Eagle if you don't get them elsewhere. By the time you go you'll probably also connect with Ring Ouzel there too, Dipper are easy by the bridge where the road crosses the river. Other quality species are found in the area and it's well worth a walk deeper and higher into the valley from where the road ends

Gruinard Bay is excellent in as far as mainland sites go for White-tailed Eagle (I've stayed on the coast overlooking Gruinard Island and had sightings of these several times each day as well as Minke Whale and large numbers of Black Guillemot). This site is also good for displaying Black-throated Diver and should be a few Great Northerns still that time of year, as well as a half chance of a White-billed.

Ullapool has to be worth a look for white-winged gulls after this winter, even in August I've seen 2 Glaucs there (2cy and 3cy)

Lochinver may get Golden Eagle, though I found it far harder than Findhorn, but it's a smashing place with excellent views of Hen Harrier, Merlin, Black-throated Diver, breeding Twite etc, most remembered by me by the amazing sight of a Bonxie flying very high overhead mobbing an adult Goldie - amazing

All of the above are well publicised sites for the species mentioned with some personal experience of which are the better for what

Hi me and my dad are going to Scotland next month and was wondering if anyone cold help us with sites for Ptarmigan, Black grouse,capercallie and golden eagle, thank you

Hi Michael,

I'll PM you my number, give me a bell tomorrow and I'll sort you out with all the gen you'll need.

Cheers,

D

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back