• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

California Gulls (1 Viewer)

Pete007

I would appreciate confirmation (or otherwise) regarding the ID of the following Gulls. My initial thoughts tended to lean towards Greater-Black backed Gull although the first in particular isn't truly represented in my field guide.
Alternatively Western Gull might be a consideration but my field guide seems to suggest the grey isn't quite as dark.
Any feedback is therefore much appreciated on all photos ( taken California in March ).

Many Thanks

Attachments

• Gull 1_M7A6907.jpg
    Gull 1_M7A6907.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Gull 2_M7A7270.jpg
    Gull 2_M7A7270.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Gull 3_M7A8686.jpg
    Gull 3_M7A8686.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Gull 4_M7A0617.jpg
    Gull 4_M7A0617.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 17
  • Gull 5_M7A0562.jpg
    Gull 5_M7A0562.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 11
All Western. Great Black-backed isn't found in California

I agree that all these are Western Gulls. The back color on Western Gulls varies a good deal, with southern breeding birds darker than those breeding further north. Outside the breeding season they all move around and substantial variation can be found in almost any area where they occur.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back