• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grimley and Holt (1 Viewer)

East end of the southern causeway by the gate in the reeds and alder looking south. That is where I see the kingfisher as well.

Recap Sunday Sling, 5 green sandpipers. Camp lane 6 L egrets, 3 lesser whitethroat, kingfisher 3 separate lots of green woodpecker 4,4,3 3 snipe and common sandpiper.
Tuesday evening after hearing that a whinchat had been seen at Camp lane and would be a first for me at Grimley I was chuffed to see the bird sitting on the garden fence NW of hippo pool . The bird +another one was later seen in the field on thistles and docks and a third bird was with them but unidentified.
2 snipe east shore, 7 L egrets, LRP, and about 400 starling were hanging about ready to roost.

Attachments

• P1010796.JPG
    P1010796.JPG
    247.7 KB · Views: 44
  • P1010800.JPG
    P1010800.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 32
Recap Thursday whinchat and briefly 2 yellow wagtails also close encounter with a snipe.
Sunday morning, stormy , garganey still , redshank , whinchat but keeping low, and a few huddled lapwing . Little grebe pair with 4 chicks hippo pool.

Attachments

• P1010806.JPG
    P1010806.JPG
    294.5 KB · Views: 26
Tuesday evening sling 1 green sandpiper . Camp Lane whinchat still ,6 little egrets and common sandpiper church farm pools.
Thursday evening Sling , a metre long grass snake crossed the water right to left.
Camp Lane ,didn’t see whinchat or garganey but 5 snipe 8 little egrets 1LRP , 1 ringed plover and 400+ starling came into roost.
A very white young moorhen that at a distance appears to have very long legs keeps making the heart rate rise thinking that it’s something more exotic.

Sunday morning sling /holt quiet . Camp Lane dunlin LRP ,8 little egrets 280 coots north of middle fence line with plenty south of it. Whinchats and garganey missed but I know they were seen later. Whitethroats ,lesser whitethroat , blackcaps, chiffchaff and willow warblers seen along grimley brook . All the warblers have not been very abundant this year at Grimley with the exception of reed and sedge .
Tuesday evening Camp Lane dunlin ,2 LRP, pochard south end and 22 egrets roosted , smashing my historical Grimley record of 17.

A couple of pics of the Marbled Duck at Camp Lane Pits this evening.

The first record for Worcestershire and apparently, the first in the UK since 2014.

Bird is unringed, fully-winged and wary while the date fits ideally with post-breeding dispersal. However, it's unlikely to be accepted as a wild bird, for the time being at least.

Brian

Attachments

• Marbled_Duck_Grimley_26.08.18.jpg
    Marbled_Duck_Grimley_26.08.18.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 38
  • Marbled_Duck_Grimley_26.08.18_2.jpg
    Marbled_Duck_Grimley_26.08.18_2.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 41
After a 2 week holiday in N. Wales it was back to Grimley with the knowledge that Wales also has a lack of small birds [ perching] which is unusual, that said, plenty of waders about.
Sunday morning started dry but soon became very wet and I gave up at about 9:30 with only common sand church farm pools and a wheatear west side CLP of note.
Monday morning after having looked at the internet and seeing marbled duck at Grimley sunday afternoon it was off to said place . On arriving soon picked it up sleeping under the trees South East of North causeway. Many observations and apologies for the distant dull picture I expect there are many better ones.
2 dunlin and 2 LRP also on show and 90+lapwing when airborne. Not much along the river but plenty of hawthorn berries. Hobby and kestrel over Wagon wheel but not much else of interest. Church farm pool banks 40+ goldfinch with a couple of reed bunting. Swifts still seen overhead and on returning ,Holt/Sling pool wheatear on roadway.

Attachments

• P1010839.JPG
    P1010839.JPG
    398.6 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Tuesday evening CLP didn't see the marbled duck but 7:00pm so getting towards roost time. However greenshank on west shore which was later joined by a second ,with 2 dunlin and 2 LRP's. There were 5 common tern [3juvs] but at least 2 of these left as it got dark . 17 little egrets roosted.
2 kestrels flew over the pits heading west.

Sunday morning Camp lane pits N. causeway 2 dunlin and 9 visible snipe along with 8 little egrets . Reed and sedge warblers still present in good numbers. A buzzard caught and proceeded to eat a wood pigeon in the nearby stubble field.
A redstart was seen down by the B.A.A fishing pools in the hedgerow looking toward the pollarded dead tree, jay mistle thrush, green,great spotted woodpeckers and stock dove all seen in the same area. 52 species seen .

Tuesday evening CLP’s looking from the west shore gate female garganey opposite east shore as was a greenshank . In front ,on the west shore dunlin and ringed plover. Stayed till dark 12 little egrets roosted.

Saturday evening on arriving N. End ,f.garganey and greenshank east shore ringed plover west. Then news of a Cattle egret and it was eyes south and picked up on the west end of submerged fence line. A first for me .
Flying round various locations always to far for a decent pic so will try again Sunday.
Staked out little owl till 8:20 but no luck and tawny owl didn’t show on the normal Tele pole.

Sunday morning down to wagon wheel ,hobby over heading south kestrel on wires 2 pintail north pool with kingfisher ,south pool 3 common tern , lapwing and a few gulls. CLP's garganey, greenshank, ringed plover and dunlin. Cattle Egret spent most of the time while I was there with the group of cattle on the west field.
44 species seen.

Attachments

• P1010868.JPG
    P1010868.JPG
    391 KB · Views: 46
  • P1010853.JPG
    P1010853.JPG
    270 KB · Views: 34
  • P1010842.JPG
    P1010842.JPG
    262.2 KB · Views: 33

Users who are viewing this thread