• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Withymoor - Amblecote, Stourbridge..... (2 Viewers)

Another Gos in the BDT:eek!:

Thur 25th April.................

Bizzy working on my Narrowboat @ Whittington but a few Blackcaps and Chiffchaffs were noted. Came back in a mates car (did'nt have bins) and a quick glance into Mary Stevens Park and it looked like a couple of Greylag-types in with the Canucks - will check it out at some stage today.

Within the region there seemed to be a bit of wader movement, things were lively at UW with threats of the 'day' record' about to be broken! A number of Sanderling were recorded at several Midland sites, it's the time of year for overland passage on this species return to its Northern breeding grounds. Associated species are usually Arctic Terns, Little Gulls and Black Terns so eyes peeled or else..............

Had a walk down to the pub (Plough and Harrow) at about 1630 and as i was approaching the old flower nursery site in Worcester St i heard, then saw, half a dozen Jackdaws fly up from the nearby chimney pots screeching for England. My attention was drawn to a large-ish raptor that seemed unperturbed languidily flapping along and taking appropriate evasive action. It was a large bird, larger than the bird i saw about 3 weeks ago on the Stourbridge Golf Course and coming in from roughly the same direction.

Quite what it was doing there and was it hunting prey for young or should it be on eggs receiving food from an over-worked male (i know the feeling mate!). Answers on a postcard please....................

I came across an interesting project, the subject of a documentary, called 'The Lost Bird Project'. It is the brainchild of a sculptor/birder who want to make casts of 5 iconic species lost to the North American continent and mount an example of each in the area where the species was last seen. An interesting idea and very emotive, highlighting the fragility of a species' presence despite breeding in huge numbers. Passenger pigeons were recorded in flocks a mile wide and 300 miles long:eek!: but in a short period of time all were gone! Who would have thought it? Can it happen here? I remember reading a report in Central Africa of Turtle Dove migration that was 14 hours in duration numbering several million birds in the 70's. I personally have had 3 blank years in the last 5 for this species. Subtle changes in both breeding and wintering habitat can and does have wide and long-term implications:C

Here are links to:- the project, the Audobon review and to the website of the composer, top right is the haunting theme track 'flocks a mile wide' - i'm sure Spielberg can find a bit of work for this bloke;)

http://www.lostbirdfilm.org/
http://archive.audubonmagazine.org/webexclusives/BirdsofParadise-webExclusives.html
http://christophertin.com/

Laurie:t:

Below - a bird thats 'lost it' (her tasteless hat is bedecked with Carolina Parakeets), an iconic Great Auk statue and one that is still here in the BDT.........Good birding.

Attachments

• Auk-on-Fogo.jpg
    Auk-on-Fogo.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 41
  • GosBDT.jpg
    GosBDT.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 42
+Breaking news+Wheatears+in double figures+WestHagleyFields+Breaking news+

Fri 26 April..............

Still bizzy messing about on the boat but plenty of Blackcaps where moored.

Managed an early ca0730 visit to Withymoor.

Tufties - 3 pairs
Little Grebe still present
Blackcaps
Swallow - 2 birds popped in for a drink at 0815 before departing.

West Hagley Fields 1730-1845

Good light but a decidely cooooool breeze!

Small parties of Linnets with a couple of smart singing males
Blackcap - several noted
Stock Dove - a couple of pairs feeding with the woodies
Swallow - single hawking over on of the fields

Bird of the day goes to the humble Wheatear:t: Altho mobile i estimated at least 12 birds in 4 fields including 2 feeding on the newly-established playing fields. 8 female-types and 4 males.

Elsewhere UW boasted no less than 10 species of warbler, now that's not a bad tally anywhere in the UK imo.

Finally an 'arrival' of a decent range of rare/scarce birds to set the pulse racing:eek!: Both Caspian and Whiskered Terns, Black-Winged Stilts, Citrine Wagtail from the East and Purple Heron and Subalpine Warbler from the Med, a vagrant Yank Bonapartes Gull and the almost mystical Baikal Teal from who knows where (Slimbridge, do a stock take;))

Most recent was a female-type Rock Thrush on Spurn - i am using the past tense as i would be surprised if it hangs around for the 'weekenders' and the 'dudes'? Only time will tell, best of luck to anybody making the effort. I clicked a first-Winter bird on the Scillies more Octobers' ago than i like to think! My most recent encounter was last December @ Essaouria on the Moroccan coast. A single male in flight including a brief burst of song.........it's nice to find your own and made more enjoyable upon submitting the details to the relevant recorder to be told that was the first December record of the species that he has.

NB: about now sees an influx of the so-called 'Greenland' Wheatears the identification of which is not an exact science, males and females tend to be 'chunkier' and 'brighter' with a shedload of overlap in between.

Below are a couple of links to a site with some photos and the Birdforum thread with various thoughts and opinions - best of luck!

http://www.leedingain.com/2012/05/greenland-wheatears.html

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=31972

Hagley Fields ( 17.00-17.30 ) - At least 7 Wheatear ( 5 M. and 2 F. ) had close views of one male that showed complete bright orange-buff underparts ( a poss. contender for Greenland race Laurie ? )
Glenn

Last edited:
Glenn - sounds good to me, i think there are differences in the biometrics but you would have to have them in the hand for that, some males i have seen look very 'peachy' on the breast with strong supercilium and some females can look 'rusty' brown all over at a distance but i'm no expert;)

Sat 27 April..................

Still far too cold for comfortable birding with not much change in sight, when i say change - it's all relative - i shall be in Central Portugal this time next week and not a day too soon! Having said that, things have only just started picking up there as far as the weather is concerned. It has been a cooler and moister Spring for them too. Hopefully the temperature should be in the 25-30c range with plenty of the Golden orb on show:eek!:

Withymoor o730-0845

Quiet but there were a few Blackcaps and 1 poss 2 Willow Warblers, the odd feeding Chiffchaff, 3 prs of Tufties and the Little Grebe was still present lurking in the edge 'scrub'.

A week or so ago i cleared a section of the overlow 'grill' and this resulted in a dropping of the water level by 4 inches or so. A bit of overnight rain on Thursday showed a slight rise of about half an inch. I cleared a bit more and by yesterday it had dropped below the original 4 inches. This has resulted in quite a bit of muddy 'edge' habitat. OK i have'nt seen any passage waders as yet but it does'nt mean there has'nt been any? The areas are being utilised by the Coot and Moorhens for feeding and ystda 4 of the Tufties were sitting in the Sun on a stretch, presumably the darker background had warmed up a bit quicker? Also, a second Coot is on a nest which has been built on a slight raised area by the overflow that has now been exposed by the lowered water level. The level should maintain at this for the Spring and detritus should subtley block it to raise the water for the Winter.

Mary Stevens Park ca1700

Just a quick cycle around, nothing of note. I see that Jason K had couple of brief Greylags @ Shenstone on Tue, they could have been the 2 that were on MSP on Thursday that i noted when passing in a car? Either way they were not there on Friday or ystda!

Belated report of Hoopoe a week ago in North Staffs and as predicted the Rock Thrush:C had moved on for the low-listers that need it, the purists would'nt twitch a female anyway;) The current bird that seems to be getting peoples knickers in a twist is the mobile Great Bustard in Suffolk. There are a number of birds that are unnaccounted for from the Salisbury Plain retro project. The current individual appears to have no wing-bling or BTO leg-irons.....unfortunately a male matching this description is also like-wise unencumbered!

I, personally, would not tick an introduced bird but that's me. I would not tick a foreign bird that was part of a similiar scheme either - it's up to the individual imo.

Below - for all you 'Yellow-Leggers' is a pic of the variation in wing-tip pattern from the colony at TelAviv University and keep an eye out for Arctic Tern - a snap of an individual at UW showing the short legs and long wings.

Attachments

• YLGvariationTelAvivUni.jpg
    YLGvariationTelAvivUni.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 50
  • ArcticTernUW.JPG
    ArcticTernUW.JPG
    242.4 KB · Views: 45
Hi Laurie you wouldn't be referring to the 1984 Rock Thrush all those years ago the good old days of Scilly birding :t: .
Good Birding YAMYAM

That's the one:t:

Halcyon daze, went every year of the decade and then again in '99 (spent my honeymoon camping in '87 then bunked in the 2nd week, on the floor, with an eclectic mix of birders including Clive Byers, Craig Robson and Ian Lewington):eek!:

A never-to-be-repeated decade of birding and birders, too expensive now prefer birding in the WPal.

Can't find any pics of the beast but here is a link to a guy who was a newbie at the time and has just published a book this week......

http://inspiredbyecology.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/scilly-birding-my-first-book.html

ATB - Laurie:t:

I was on there every year 1983 – 1993 and have twitched it a few times since, but has you say to expensive now. But I’m glad I went on when I did the buzz was fantastic, I might go one of the years for old times sake.
Good Birding YAMYAM

YamYam - i am bound to know your face if you were on there during that period, did you go with a 'crew' or solo?

Sun 28 April...............

Still bloody cold OK a bit sheltered down at Withers but over at the WHfields the edge to the breeze was raw to say the least:C

Withymoor 1113-1145

Just a quickie, need'nt have bothered, not even any Tufties but i suppose they have to depart sometime? A couple of LBB's and the Little Grebe is still present. A single Willow Warbler was singing on the embankment and that was about it!

West Hagley Fields 1200-1330

A decent boot about down to Brake Lane and back around the top fields, comfortable out of the breeze and uncomfortable in it........

A single female Blackcap and 2 Whitethroats (1 singing) in the hedges, a few Swallows hawking over the fields and in and out of one of the large barns.

Wheatear - a single female noted down near Brake Lane. 6 birds in the fields with the pool. This field is probably the most sheltered as there is a Pine plantation adjacent. 3 were females with 2 males and a much brighter male this is possibly a 'Greenland'-type or a normal bird and the other 2 are 1st Summer birds?

Here is a link to a new series starting on Radio 4, hosted by David Attenborough it covers a species every day in 90 seconds (265 in total) giving a potted history of each bird. It follows on from the 'Farming Today' programme but you can 'catch-up' with it at any time via BBC Iplayer or the R4 website, it starts with the Cuckoo - i'm willing to bet it will be the only one i hear in the UK this year!!!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/apr/24/tweet-david-attenborough-bbc-radio-birdsong

I have'nt scored with Garden Warbler yet, some struggle with the song and they can be very skulking. The subtle Grey area on the side of the neck is a good feature as illustrated by this obliging individual trapped @ Beddington Farmlands over the weekend.

I am off to Lisbon and beyond 2moz, i will post a link to a 2 week thread on daily sightings here. Accuweather have not said any temperature records will be broken (pic from their website). Over the years i have found that their figures are conservative and can be up to 5c higher on arrival.|8)|

Fingers crossed, it's mixed in the Midlands for the rest of the week with the best of the weather in the South and East due to the knock on effect of High Pressure across the Channel.

ATB Laurie:t:

Attachments

• GarWarb.jpg
    GarWarb.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 43
  • ScreenHunter_134 Apr. 29 06.37.jpg
    ScreenHunter_134 Apr. 29 06.37.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 38
Mon 29th April....................

Surprisingly pleasant weather, paid a quick visit 0730-0830 to Withymoor.

Little Grebe still present
Tufted Duck - 3 pairs back
Herring Gull - single 2nd Summer-type
Willow Warbler - single singing on embankment
Blackcaps

Spent 7 hours moving my narrowboat from Whittington to Stourbridge so not much time for 'owt else.............:C

This is my last post on local birding etc for 2 weeks - it's up to Paul and anybody else to carry the baton, post what is seen and find the big 'un;)

I shall be in Lisbon by 7 o'clock tonite and spend the next 3-4 days in and around it's environs before getting a coach to Castro Verde for 3 days and then over to a place whos' name escapes me but is an area of rivers and gorges. No car just shanks' pony, local transport and hopefully borrow/hire a push bike. My sort of 'low impact' local birding.

I will add a link here to the BirdForum section where i shall post daily notes for those that are interested with some sort of pictures.

Below - me in Mediterranean holiday mode..........

Attachments

• Birder.jpg
    Birder.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 39
Laurie- it was always solo but over the years you got to no so many people you never spent munch time Birding alone :t:
Good Birding YAMYAM

Quick walk around Lakeside, back of football Pitchs &canal 4 Singing Chiffchaffs, Willow warbler Singing 2 Blackcaps ,2 Buzzards. 2 Pair Tufted ducks 1 Heron on Lake.

Postcard....................

Sun 5th May...................

Hi everybody, hvnt posted a fresh thread as internet access has been limited so just a few notes from a couple of hours out early this morning. Am currently spending a few days at CastroVerde, about 4 hours from Lisbon and and hour and a half from Faro. For those that have'nt visited it's like stepping back in time a 100 years or so to what an agricultural landscape must have been like at the turn of the century-ish, at least between the wars!

Ambled for a mile or so down a farm track, said hello to various people and nobody shouting 'get orff my land' - that makes a change! Corn Buntings, Stonechats, Turtle Doves and Quail everywhere. Not Warbler country but there are plenty of Fan-Tails. Bee Eaters and Crested Larks here and there with a supporting cast of Cirl Bunting, Calandra Lark, Hoopoe, Lesser Kestrel and Purple Heron.

It is, of course, 'Bustard Country' - there are a few reserves locally and i might resort to a visit but prefer to find my own, from tracks no entering fields, I was rewarded with a couple of male Little Bustards displaying for my pre-breakfast efforts.:eek!:

Below - CastroVerde landscape.

Attachments

• CV.JPG
    CV.JPG
    161.9 KB · Views: 51
Late item of news for last Thursday afternoon 2nd May in Wedgebury Way, off Brettell Lane, Brierley Hill........a Wheatear on a gravel car park next to Silver End trading estate, and also on adjacent factory roofs. I never expected to see that |8.|

Hi everybody -

2nd update from various forays into the 'Campo Branco'

Weather is 25c-30c+|8)| but still comfortable, early mornings 6-9am are great, not even the farmers are up, mid-afternoon a bit hot, nice again from 5-8. CV is a very quiet but busy little place. A lot of people work at Europes' largest Copper mine - unlike other areas there does seem to be a bit of money about, certainly if the cars are anything to go by!

There is a series of reserves within the SPA that are managed' for the associated steppe-grassland species but i prefer to select suitable areas and explore on my own by foot. It really is the only way to find your own birds and have the satisfaction of doing so. If anybody wants any details upon my return then just PM me. Below is a list of the more interesting species seen over the 3-day period.

Bee Eater
Cattle Egret
White Stork
Spotless Starling
Fan Tailed Warbler
Lesser Kestrel
Cirl Bunting
Little Bustard
Calandra Lark
Hoopoe
Purple Heron
Pallid Swift
Serin
Crag Martin
Raven
Golden Oriole
Azure Winged Magpie
Red Rumped Swallow
Black Winged Stilt
Black Kite
Sardinian Warbler
Little Ringed Plover
Cetti's Warbler
Stone Curlew
Woodchat Shrike
Nightingale
Iberian Grey Shrike
Black Eared Wheatear
Great Bustard
Booted Eagle
Montagues' Harrier
Griffon Vulture
Spanish Sparrow

All the above within 1 mile of the town centre:eek!:

A superb range of Mediterranean species. moving on to the town of Merlota 2moz, straddling the River Guardiania. Hopefully some hill birds and species of 'wilder' countryside e.g. Roller, Tawny Pipit and possibly Black Vulture and Iberian Imp? Fingers crossed.

It's not just the above goodies but the sheer amount of common stuff such as Corn Bunting, Stonechat, Crested Lark, Quail etc. It's been over 2 years since i have recorded CBunt @ West Hagley Fields and i have only one record of a pair of wintering Stonechats about 4 years ago. There is a 'Keep the Countryside Tidy' attitude that makes the place all but useless for nesting and feeding for a wide range of species. There simply is no room and no food for birds or plants just take a walk..........

I am taking the liberty of posting my hols stuff here and not on a 'trip' thread as i am not breaking new ground and wish to share the stuff with other Midland birders who might be thinking about visiting the area - hope that's fine.

The above Wheatear @ Brettell Lane is a good local find, it's nice to know that they are still coming through, is the Little Grebe still at Withymoor? What's happening in the BDT?

Below - Dawn @ Castro Verde and a homage to one of the special birds outside the Town Hall -Otis tarda ceramica!

Attachments

• DawnCastroVerde.jpg
    DawnCastroVerde.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 92
  • CVplinth.jpg
    CVplinth.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 76
  • CVceramica.JPG
    CVceramica.JPG
    471 KB · Views: 77
Hi everybody -

2nd update from various forays into the 'Campo Branco'

Weather is 25c-30c+|8)| but still comfortable, early mornings 6-9am are great, not even the farmers are up, mid-afternoon a bit hot, nice again from 5-8. CV is a very quiet but busy little place. A lot of people work at Europes' largest Copper mine - unlike other areas there does seem to be a bit of money about, certainly if the cars are anything to go by!

There is a series of reserves within the SPA that are managed' for the associated steppe-grassland species but i prefer to select suitable areas and explore on my own by foot. It really is the only way to find your own birds and have the satisfaction of doing so. If anybody wants any details upon my return then just PM me. Below is a list of the more interesting species seen over the 3-day period.

Bee Eater
Cattle Egret
White Stork
Spotless Starling
Fan Tailed Warbler
Lesser Kestrel
Cirl Bunting
Little Bustard
Calandra Lark
Hoopoe
Purple Heron
Pallid Swift
Serin
Crag Martin
Raven
Golden Oriole
Azure Winged Magpie
Red Rumped Swallow
Black Winged Stilt
Black Kite
Sardinian Warbler
Little Ringed Plover
Cetti's Warbler
Stone Curlew
Woodchat Shrike
Nightingale
Iberian Grey Shrike
Black Eared Wheatear
Great Bustard
Booted Eagle
Montagues' Harrier
Griffon Vulture
Spanish Sparrow

All the above within 1 mile of the town centre:eek!:

A superb range of Mediterranean species. moving on to the town of Merlota 2moz, straddling the River Guardiania. Hopefully some hill birds and species of 'wilder' countryside e.g. Roller, Tawny Pipit and possibly Black Vulture and Iberian Imp? Fingers crossed.

It's not just the above goodies but the sheer amount of common stuff such as Corn Bunting, Stonechat, Crested Lark, Quail etc. It's been over 2 years since i have recorded CBunt @ West Hagley Fields and i have only one record of a pair of wintering Stonechats about 4 years ago. There is a 'Keep the Countryside Tidy' attitude that makes the place all but useless for nesting and feeding for a wide range of species. There simply is no room and no food for birds or plants just take a walk..........

I am taking the liberty of posting my hols stuff here and not on a 'trip' thread as i am not breaking new ground and wish to share the stuff with other Midland birders who might be thinking about visiting the area - hope that's fine.

The above Wheatear @ Brettell Lane is a good local find, it's nice to know that they are still coming through, is the Little Grebe still at Withymoor? What's happening in the BDT?

Below - Dawn @ Castro Verde and a homage to one of the special birds outside the Town Hall -Otis tarda ceramica!

Fine by me having experienced a great days birding in the Alentejo! I am enjoying your updates Laurie! Keep em coming!

Had a couple of Hours Round Ounty John Lane & County Lane. Walking Past the Severn Trent Water erea down towards County Lane (2 3rds way down Winchat (Female on Posts nr dirt mounds. Also 1 Male & 2 Female Wheatear In field. In grounds where Peacocks Reside Singing Garden Warbler. Lesser Whitethroat & Whitethroat in Hedge along Path ,
Skylarks (num), Up to 4 Pair Yellow Hammers, 4 Linnets,Several Swallows over. Not to bad couple hrs.

Postcard from Mertola...............

Hi peeps - no internet access for the last 3 days due to the Hotel changing the password:C.......they have had a tech geekie messing about but i have managed to do it for my own Netbook all by myself, does that make me a nerd as well as all the other things?

Left Castro Verde on Wed for a 'short' coach journey to Mertola, problem is that there is no direct coach (ca45k) so you have to complete the other 2 sides of the triangle (ca100k) and it took about 8 hours!.

A final pre-breakfast 3-hour walk yielded more of the same including loads of Stone Curlews and Skylark, Blue Tit and Nuthatch for the trip list but no Bustards. There has been quite a bit of hay cutting over the previous 2 days so perhaps it has scattered birds? A lone female GB at a pool, from the coach near Estrada was a bonus with a good range of birds on the rest of the journey including 5 species of BOP.

Mertola sits beside the River Guardiana and is set in rolling hill country, not mountainous or craggy but there is a bit of height to a few of them. The Romans called it Myrtillis after the woody, aromatic shrub species that cloaks the hillsides around here. It will be a nice change of habitat for 4 days, nice tidy hotel with a terrace overlooking the river and the option of a self-catering kitchen. It will be utilised as i start getting itchy to cook about the second week of a trip!

Birdwise, first off was Common Sandpiper, Blue Rock Thush and Jackdaw all new and one or two Rock Doves as far as lineage could be determind. More 'scrub' warblers appearing including Sardinian, Cetti's and a few Dartfords. Plenty of Golden Orioles and both Rock Buntings and Black-Eared Wheatears the latter in 'throated' form rather than the 'eared' birds i had seen at CV. Plenty of hirundines including a few Crag Martins nesting under the impressive bridge. The birding and scenery are very pleasant and the off-piste walking relatively easy. A lone sub-adult Cormorant in with a roost flight of 50+ Cattle Egrets.

Yesterday evening finished with car-assisted 3 hour jaunt to a local high point for raptors (no show) and a local reed-fringed pool spotted from our lofty perch ('our' being an affable Northerner who is keen on birds and stopping at the same hotel and..........has a car!) The latter site proved more productive and redeemed the time and fuel. It produced some good stuff for a relatively small area in the form of -

Marsh Harrier - 2 females and 1 male
Red Rumped Swallow
Booted Eagle - dark phase
Quail
Hoopoe
Fan Tailed Warbler
Cirl Bunting
Great Reed Warbler - 3 singing males
Woodchat
Iberian GShrike
A nice bonus was a White Storks nest on a low pole which had about 10 nests of Spanish Sparrow with th adults bringing food to the young.

A final update from Mertola tomorrow before heading back toward Lisbon and hopefully lodging somewhere in Alcochete within striking distance of the saltpans.

Update -

Leaving today for the dubious pleasure of Lisbon but at least it will be on the South side of the Tagus which gives me nearly 2 days of birding before flying back to Blighty on Tuesday........No other newbies just excellent local Med birding.

Nice that you have had a Whinchat and one or two warblers over the WHFields, Paul, - can't say i am looking forward to pecking around the BDT but you have to return some time, roll on the Autumn when another 2 week jaunt hoves into view.

Below - memories of Castro Verde and Mertola.

Attachments

• CV from the mill window.jpg
    CV from the mill window.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 75
  • CVplinth.JPG
    CVplinth.JPG
    306.4 KB · Views: 81
  • GB and me.JPG
    GB and me.JPG
    448.8 KB · Views: 65

Users who are viewing this thread

Back