• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon EF to 4/3 adapter? (1 Viewer)

pshute

Australia
I need a Canon EF lens to 4/3 adapter, but I only see one available on eBay, with expensive postage. I see plenty for M4/3.

Last time I bought an adapter (Contax Yashica - 4/3), there seemed to be dozens to choose from. Why the change? No one is buying for 4/3 anymore?

I have an unused M42 - 4/3 (screw mount) adapter. All these adapters seem to come as two parts screwed together. Would it work if I buy an EF - M4/3 adapter, unscrew it and then attach the base of the M42 adapter? I don't know if all the manufacturers have made their parts compatible.

Answering my own question, according to this thread http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/discussion/50908-canon-ef-4-3-a.html, the flange distance of the EF mount is too similar to that of the 4/3 mount to make an adapter that allows infinity focus. Only 5.5mm difference. That's why there are so few adapters for sale.

I was under the impression that the 4/3 flange distance was quite a bit more that all others, but apparently not. Avoid EF lenses unless you have an M4/3 camera or are prepared to do surgery on the lens.

Another big issue with using EF lenses on any other system is the lack of manual aperture control which leaves you shooting wide open all the time. I know some of the m43 adapters try to deal with this but it seems a better option to use lenses with manual aperture rings.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back