• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Berchtesgaden NP, Bavaria (1 Viewer)

Steve Babbs

Dear all

My wife and I will be near Berchtesgaden for a week next May. It'll be a walking holiday as much as a wildlife watching trip but if anyone has any gen they can share on birds, mammals, herp.s, butterflies,plants or basically pretty much any of the more 'glamorous' groups I'd be very grateful.

Regards

Steve

Nearby at lake Chiemsee was an vary active group for birds other wildlife and plants with Dr. Michael Lohmann. Unfortunetely he died some years ago.
He wrote different books but I suppose all only in german language.

In this page also some infos about Berchtesgarden area
http://www.birdinggermany.de/bavarianwoodpeckers.htm

Do You have target birds ?
Hazel Grouse is chance, but all time low
Capercaillie is chance, but May is a little bit late but still possible
White backed and Three toed Woopecker is chance e.g. on the way to hut Neue Traunsteiner Huette
Black Grouse is good in this time e.g. upper Neue Traunsteiner huette

Around Untersberg are Barded Vultures, which supported by Zoo of Salzburg.

If You come via Munich airport, nearby is good place for Collared Flycatcher.
Best is between Moosburg and Freising are different places.
Between Moosburg and Freising ( abbout middle way ) is a bridge over river Isar. At south east edge of the bridge, I found all time in May Collared Flycatcher.
Also not far is lake Ismaninger Speichersee, which is always good for some surprises.

Thanks for the replies. This was a spur of the moment booking after comparing flight costs to Munich with other destinations so I've still got to get my head around what's there. As regards target birds a chance, even if slim, of capercaille would be good as I;ve only had very brief views since first seeing them over 30 years ago. Hazel grouse, white-backed woodpecker and three-toed woodpecker are all species that I've only see a couple of times before so would also be high up on my list. As regards other groups, lady's slipper orchid would be a priority.

Last edited:
Steve,
We had a few days in Westendorf in Austria which is not that far from Berchesgaden, using the cable car produced good numbers of Nutcracker, Crossbill and odd Alpine Accentor, this can be repeated from most villages with 'Lifts'. We also went to Chiemsee, I have been several times before but in the spring, however it is a delightful place whenever you go, try to avoid weekends. This time we had GW Egret, RC Pochard and fairly common species.

best regards
Merlin

For Capercaille is better early May or even April.
But chance is the whole year.
Hazelgrouse, I saw in some years not, even I made 80 mountain hikes.
It is very shy.

Lady Slipper Orchid, I can show You hundrets, about 35 km south of Munich.
But useally around 25. May... 1. June.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back