• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Migrants arriving - Russia (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
First Wheatears, Starlings and Skylarks today plus we found the first breeding evidence of Black woodpecker on our patch just 500m from home.

I've never heard or seen the Woodpeckers during summer so assumed they bred elsewhere, don't usually see then until well in to August.

Waders coming through too, Lapwings are back and first Greenshank seen today.

An interesting fact about the Woodpeckers is that the male and female both, excavate holes, they usually choose the males (apparently better constructed?)hole to nest in where the male will sit on the eggs at night whilst the female, goes off to sleep in her own hole.

A

Attachments

• DSC_3443.jpg
    DSC_3443.jpg
    466.7 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC_3464.jpg
    DSC_3464.jpg
    394 KB · Views: 45
Rough-legged Buzzard moving through today and nice juvenile Goshawk

A

Attachments

• DSC_3772.jpg
    DSC_3772.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC_3826.jpg
    DSC_3826.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 67
You're a long way behind the southern Baltics - Thrush Nightingales in for a while now, plus Cuckoos, Wryneck, Golden Oriole, Red-backed Shrike, etc etc

Hundreds of butterflies and, in the last days, vast clouds of dragonflies too.

You're a long way behind the southern Baltics - Thrush Nightingales in for a while now, plus Cuckoos, Wryneck, Golden Oriole, Red-backed Shrike, etc etc

Which way goes Baltic states migrants ?
I suppose cranes comes from southern Rance or Spain and other migrants to.
Migrants to St. Petersbourg comes via Nil, Cyprus and Israel ?
Maybe also some migrants via Emirates ?

Artic Warbler I saw in March this year in Doi Lang and last year in Doi Akang in north of Thailand.
They will migrate to Russia to.

Our regular TN's at the side of our place aren't here yet, no Bluethroat, Blythe's Reed or Shrikes yet and no Whinchats yet either which are usually the commonest bird on some set aside we watch.

Few butterflies, no Odonata yet and have never seen Golden Oriole here.

I think you have to be 800km South of us, that makes a lot of difference even in terms of the weather.

A

Last edited:
Hi Andy. I'm going to be travelling Estonia 11-18 May with friends. I've added four days on the end of the trip (taking me to the 22nd) with a specific interest in hearing Blyth's Reed and Marsh Warblers singing (also maybe, to a lesser extent Greenish). I'm still a bit worried I'll be too early to hear/see them in any great number. From your location at a similar latitude, what do you think? We've already taken a sneak peak at the weather forecast for the coming fortnight and it seems we've been offered the tantalising possibility of blazing sunshine and 22 degrees centigrade over the period. Call me naive, if you like, but I've gone and unpacked a fleece and a change of trousers and added a second pair of shorts!

Hi Andy. I'm going to be travelling Estonia 11-18 May with friends. I've added four days on the end of the trip (taking me to the 22nd) with a specific interest in hearing Blyth's Reed and Marsh Warblers singing (also maybe, to a lesser extent Greenish). I'm still a bit worried I'll be too early to hear/see them in any great number. From your location at a similar latitude, what do you think? We've already taken a sneak peak at the weather forecast for the coming fortnight and it seems we've been offered the tantalising possibility of blazing sunshine and 22 degrees centigrade over the period. Call me naive, if you like, but I've gone and unpacked a fleece and a change of trousers and added a second pair of shorts!

Can't speak specifically for Estonia, but slightly further south in the Baltic States (Lithuania), it has been an exceptionally warm spring right through from early April, temperatures in the mid-20s and above on many occasions (complete contrast to last year with snow in mid-April and even a dusting in early May). Result has been an early spring for many species - huge numbers of butterflies of many species two or three weeks (or more) in advance of the previous couple of years and the early arrival of many spring bird migrants.

Early Marsh Warblers and Greenish Warblesr have already been recorded here and Blyth's can normally be expected somewhere about 18 May ish, I think will be earlier this year. With outstanding weather set to continue for the foreseeable future, I would be optimistic that at least some of all three of your targets will be on territory in Estonia by the end of your stay.

You should have a good chance in Estonia, just a 100km can make a difference this far North. In Moscow, stuff has been singing weeks before us.

Haven't heard Blythe's, Marsh or Greenish yet, only saw the first Willow Warbler today but Chiffchaff's were here ten days ago, no Wood Warbler yet either.

Always a good idea to have some warmer clothing available up here, even in summer and don't forget mozzie spray though it will probably be a bit early for them to be a real issue. The biggest problem in St P in the summer isn't really the chilly weather but rather rain, it's monsoonal at times, last year was awful.

A

Last edited:
Thanks, Jos and Andy. Good to hear there are plenty of butterflies around too. Give me something to chase while the other two are studying Baltic Gulls!:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back