• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Birding spots in North Yorkshire? (1 Viewer)

AJS2018

Hi, I’ve recently moved to the Harrogate area of N Yorkshire and would like recommendations the best places to start looking for raptors. I’m a newbie to birding and have always had a fascination for it, I’m also a townie, so very green.

Don't take this the wrong way, but Yorkshire doesn't have the best reputation for treating raptors with any decency especially around grouse moors which are fairly prevalent around your (& mine) area.

Don't be surprised if there's reluctance to give out information freely. Suggest you maybe get in touch with a local RSPB group (I think there's one in Harrogate??)

Richard

Not a complete guide but we have some stuff on Birdforum that may help.

https://www.birdforum.net/opus/Category:Yorkshire
Wykeham Viewpoint near Scarborough is good for raptors in the season as they say
The area around Harewood is especially good for red kite all year round.
Bit further away Blacktoft Sands for Marsh Harrier and wintering Hen Harrier - although Swillington Ings is getting a pretty regular HH lately

Hi, I’ve recently moved to the Harrogate area of N Yorkshire and would like recommendations the best places to start looking for raptors. I’m a newbie to birding and have always had a fascination for it, I’m also a townie, so very green.

Wykeham, near Scarborough in the spring has loads of Goshawks and Honey Buzzards are regular. Also good for passage raptors such as Harriers and falcons. Harewood house has stacks of Red kites. On the Humber there are plenty of Marsh Harriers and a good few Merlin, Hen Harrier and Short-eared Owl in winter. Welwick Saltmarsh can be good for these. There are plenty of raptors away from these areas but folks will rightly keep fairly quiet as North Yorkshire has the worst record for raptor persecution in the UK.

birding in the Harrogate area

As a until recently long term birder and the local recorder in that area you would be much better joining Harrogate and District Naturalist Society much better than local RSPB group but you could join both.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back