• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Switching feeders (1 Viewer)

franzsolo

My two hummingbirds have been using the same bottle feeder for about almost two years.
Purchased a window feeder which I think will be easies to fill,clean,and better for the birds.
How do I get the birds to use the "new" feeder.?

I had the two feeders up about 50 feet from each other but only noticed one of the birds hovered and noticed the new feeder but didn't drink from it. :)

I don't want to just take the old feeder down and hope the notice the new tray feeder.

Any one tried to switch feeders ??

Tough love when introducing a new feeder

The birds probably know your window feeder is there but being 'creatures of habit' they will use what is familiar.

I have thirteen feeders in my yard and back woods for the more timid birds. Last year I introduced an Aspects Jewel Box window feeder. Not a single bird would visit. Sooo, over the course of two weeks I gradually removed some feeders and moved other feeders closer to the Jewel Box. Sill not a single bird visited the Jewel Box.

I then started to remove feeders entirely. The birds used what was available but none used the Jewel Box. More feeders were removed and nada. I removed ALL feeders until the window feeder remained. One bird came to drink and another and another and another.

After a few hours I put out some of the old feeders and the birds continued to use the window feeder and the other feeders.

Now the birds have accepted the window feeder and it is one of the most popular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0Uow_FMDP4&feature=youtu.be

Douglas
Tucson, AZ

Last edited:
Douglas,
Thanks for the reply.
Yeah,you are right...They are used to the bottle feeder for sure.
Think I will try just removing the bottle feeder for a few hours and see what happens.

The two are looking at the window feeder but not have landed on it yet.

Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back