• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

TSN-3, or newer mid-range scope? (1 Viewer)

asp09

Hello,

I have been thinking of purchasing a used TSN-3 to use with the Opticron SDLv2 zoom I already own. I have an Opticron MM4 60mm (my first scope) which I like very much, but I've always had the intention of complementing it at some point with a larger scope for low light situations, or for when I need higher magnifications (I find the MM4 good up to about 35x). As this will be my secondary scope, the logical choice to keep the cost down would be to buy a scope compatible with my SDLv2 zoom, hence my interest in the TSN-3.

My question is the following: how would a former top-of-the-range scope like the TSN-3 (assuming it is a good sample) compare optically with a much newer midrange scope like the Opticron ES80 GA ED v3. I have read somewhere that midrange scopes of today are optically on a par with alphas from 10 years ago. A used Opticron would only be about £50 to £100 more, and would have the advantage of being waterproof. It would also not require fiddling about with an o-ring to make the zoom fit. However, the TSN-3, as well as costing less, is 200g lighter, so if it were optically on a par with the more modern scope then the Kowa option would be worth considering, despite the disadvantages of age and lack of waterproofing.

I'd be very grateful for any advice on this, as I am unlikely to get an opportunity to try a TSN-3 before buying.

Thanks.

Are you positive you have the right adapter for an Opticron zoom to fit onto an older type Kowa? Also the focal length may differ significantly if the zoom eyepiece fits?
Personally I would stick with an Opticron scope such as the model you mentioned due to the following...
A. Upgrades in glass and coatings.
B. Gas purged so should be fog and waterproof.
C. Purpose built screw in adapter, compatible with the eyepiece.

P

Hi,

as long as the TSN-3/4 is not one of the latest models with a protective glass in front of the prisms (those are fairly rare - if you look into the EP flange and see some space between the prism and the housing, you have the old model - if it's a glass pane to the housing wall, it's the new one and Opticron zooms don't fit), the SDLv2 will fit w/o adapter.

One just needs a rubber o-ring cut to size as a spacer and can screw it onto the accessory thread of the Kowa body.

The focal length of the TSN-3 is 420mm - this results into 18-52x with the SDLv2. Mine is usually set to 52x as I can aim with the cable tie sight and the image is very crisp at that magnification.

Joachim

Thank you Pyrtle and Joachim for your helpful responses. I think that, given the minimal difference in price, the more logical choice will be to go for the Opticron in order to get the benefits of a more modern scope.

That is the same eyepiece (SDL V2) as I use on my TSN4 (the straight version of the TSN3). You do not need an adapter, just an "O" ring around 3mm thick. These don't seem to be available at the needed diameter - but a scalpel or similar will cure this!

Been using mine for 5/6 years now and it is a pretty good combination. Put it on a nice rigid tripod and it won't be too far short of the Alphas in reasonable light. + A LOT cheaper................

Put it on a nice rigid tripod and it won't be too far short of the Alphas in reasonable light. + A LOT cheaper................

Well, I've just this week managed to get my hands on a used Gitzo GT3532LS, so I'll be well equipped in the tripod department, whichever scope I eventually decide to put on it.

Well, I've just this week managed to get my hands on a used Gitzo GT3532LS, so I'll be well equipped in the tripod department, whichever scope I eventually decide to put on it.

A 3 series Gitzo is just about perfect, not too heavy but extremely rigid. These days I use a 4 series (GT4542LS) and it is great for my photography, but for scope use my (EX) GT3530 LS was just the right balance between weight and rigidity.

You have some very nice sticks there!

I 've owned a couple of TSN4 over the years,and they are extraordinary..I still have some digiscoped images i did for resolution tests and always thougt they were among if not the best in terms of resolution of all the scopes i've tried.My current 823 is also a great old scope,but i cant assure you if the zoom you already own would Fit....I think it would,but cant confirm..I say if you find a good deal on a TSN3, dont hessitate ..It is also very well made ,solid and quite compact.....

I 've owned a couple of TSN4 over the years,and they are extraordinary..I still have some digiscoped images i did for resolution tests and always thougt they were among if not the best in terms of resolution of all the scopes i've tried.My current 823 is also a great old scope,but i cant assure you if the zoom you already own would Fit....I think it would,but cant confirm..I say if you find a good deal on a TSN3, dont hessitate ..It is also very well made ,solid and quite compact.....

When I wrote my original post I actually had my eye on a TSN-3 selling for £249 with a 30x eyepiece, apparently in good condition, but by the time I'd finished writing, it had already been snapped up! TSN-4's seem to come along more often, but I'm not sure I could live with a straight scope. I'm fairly sure that the 823 is not compatible with the Opticron zooms, unfortunately, or else that would be an even better option. I had a chance to try the Opticron scope I was considering and it is quite big and heavy, so if the TSN3 is quite compact, then that would probably suit me better. Having said all that, I also tried out some binoculars today and came to the realisation that it would be far more sensible to focus on getting some higher quality bins before thinking about getting a second scope.

Just a personal opinion asp09.

Personally I find angled scopes to be both slow to use and difficult to get on target. Angled scopes are great for stargazers and target rifle shooters - but for birding I find them a bit of a pain.

This goes against the grain of scope sales and current advice, but it is just what I have found. If it is my money then I won't entertain an angled scope.

Just my thoughts.

Thanks for your thoughts on that, johnf3f. Admittedly, I’ve never had a chance to properly try out a straight scope, so I probably shouldn’t dismiss the idea out of hand. Although straight scopes are quicker, I’ve read that angled scopes are more comfortable for prolonged viewing of a bird, which is what I like to do. I also like to share the view with others, which I believe is also easier with an angled scope. However, I do find myself looking down at birds with my MM4 scope more often than I look up, so a straight scope would probably be better for this. I suppose that getting an inexpensive TSN-4 would be as good a way as any of trying out a straight scope to see what suits me best.

P.S. I received my series 3 Gitzo yesterday and it feels rock solid! I look forward to testing it out in some windy conditions next week.

Last edited:
Thanks for your thoughts on that, johnf3f. Admittedly, I’ve never had a chance to properly try out a straight scope, so I probably shouldn’t dismiss the idea out of hand. Although straight scopes are quicker, I’ve read that angled scopes are more comfortable for prolonged viewing of a bird, which is what I like to do. I also like to share the view with others, which I believe is also easier with an angled scope. However, I do find myself looking down at birds with my MM4 scope more often than I look up, so a straight scope would probably be better for this. I suppose that getting an inexpensive TSN-4 would be as good a way as any of trying out a straight scope to see what suits me best.

P.S. I received my series 3 Gitzo yesterday and it feels rock solid! I look forward to testing it out in some windy conditions next week.

You will be VERY happy with your Gitzo! They are the best (UK/EU) combination of weight, rigidity and quality going. I have tried an RRS 3 series (very nice) but cost more than I paid for 4 Gitzo Tripods + a Gitzo mono pod! Here in the UK/EU they are as good as it gets.

Funnily enough I have the older Opticron MM2 angled scope and I find it very inconvenient - though quite decent optically. Straight vs Angled is a personal thing and I will not point you in either direction. All I suggest is that you give a straight scope a go before you decide. I would agree however, that for multiple viewer of different heights than an angled scope is more convenient. For a single user (or people of roughly the same height) I, personally, prefer a straight scope.

Happy hunting!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back