• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Type locality of Birds (1 Viewer)

Jim LeNomenclatoriste

Je suis un mignon petit Traquet rubicole
France
Hi

I create this topic because I need your precious help pleeease, it's a question of life or death.

My checklist of Birds of the world is in ''re-progress'' (rewriting), which is renamed, soberly and humbly, ''Conspectum Ornithologicum" :smoke: (pompous title, isn't it ?). Needless to say that this list is entirely written in French, of course.

This time, I add OD, type species, gender, synonyms at generic level, subspecies, type locality and distribution, as a true nomenclatural catalogue, in sum. I specify that the distributions are those given by HBW (almost word for word), oiseaux-birds[dot]com and, sometimes, wikipedia.

But, unfortunately, some type locality is lacking for several taxa (coz' I can't find anything anywhere) , hence my present request.

I warn you that this thread will be very long (as long as there are birds species).

So, I start with the Palaeognathae

The type locality is lacking for:

Nothoprocta curvirostris peruviana

Nothoprocta ornata jimenezi
Nothoprocta ornata labradori

Nothoprocta pentlandii patriciae

Crypturellus erythropus cursitans
Crypturellus erythropus margaritae
Crypturellus erythropus saltuarius

Crypturellus soui capnodes
Crypturellus soui inconspicuus
Crypturellus soui poliocephalus

Crypturellus tataupa lepidotus

Crypturellus undulatus maniapiare
Crypturellus undulatus simplex

Tinamus major brunneiventris
Tinamus major olivascens
Tinamus major percautus

Tinamus tao larensis

Tinamus osgoodi hershkovitzi

That's all for today

Thanks et best wishes

Last edited:
Nothoprocta ornata jimenezi & Nothoprocta ornata labradori are described in 1997 and don't appear in the second volume.

The ODs (in Cabot, J. Dos nuevas subespecies de Nothoprocta ornata y sobre la distribución de N. ornata rostrata (Aves, Tinamidae). Iheringia Ser Zool., 82: 119-125.) seem not to be freely available online but the type localities are apparently as follows:

N. o. labradori Cabot, 1997 - Cordillera de Tiraque, Cochabamba, Bolivia.
N. o. jimenezi Cabot, 1997 - Calacoto, Prov. Pacajes, La Paz, Bolivia.

Last edited:
The ODs (in Cabot, J. Dos nuevas subespecies de Nothoprocta ornata y sobre la distribución de N. ornata rostrata (Aves, Tinamidae). Iheringia Ser Zool., 82: 119-125.) seem not to be freely available online but the type localities are apparently as follows:

N. o. labradori Cabot, 1997 - Cordillera de Tiraque, Cochabamba, Bolivia.
N. o. jimenezi Cabot, 1997 - Calacoto, Prov. Pacajes, La Paz, Bolivia.
Iheringia Ser. Zool. is free up to 2000 on BHL and from 2000 up to now on SciELO.
This paper: https://biodiversitylibrary.org/page/34173137

I don't find either the type locality or the OD of the following taxa. Can you help me please? :

Callipepla gambelii stephensi (Phillips, 1959)
Cyrtonyx sallei rowleyi Phillips, 1966 [OD found but the type locality seems lacking]

Last edited:
Cyrtonyx sallei rowleyi Phillips, 1966 [OD found but the type locality seems lacking]
OD: https://biodiversitylibrary.org/page/40815028
On p. 93: "Type: original no. 7854 ♂ ad.; data same as Dendrortyx m. inesperatus (supra) but 17 Nov. and prepared by Santos Farfan B."
The data for Dendrortyx m. inesperatus, on p. 92 (= "supra"), indicate: "Rio San Marcial below San Miguel Suchixtepec, municipio de Miahuatlan, Oaxaca (ca. lat. 16° 5' N. long. 96° 26' W.)".

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back