• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bittell Reservoirs and Hopwood area (1 Viewer)

UPPER...7.30pm....
100+ Canada Geese
30 Greylag Geese
50+ Mallard
30 B.H.Gulls
Tufted Duck
Moorhen
Mute Swan + 4 Cygnets
Stock Dove.

UPPER...7.30pm..

Very quiet tonight....

HOBBY high over Tower House then off towards Resa.

10+ Swift high over the middle of resa just past the waterline.

Lower...what looked like a mangy Rook only thing around.

Attachments

• _MG_9854.JPG
    _MG_9854.JPG
    145.1 KB · Views: 20
  • _MG_9855.jpg
    _MG_9855.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 15
  • _MG_9857.jpg
    _MG_9857.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 18
  • _MG_9859.JPG
    _MG_9859.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 15
  • _MG_9841.jpg
    _MG_9841.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 22
UPPER....This evening....always great to see and hear the Canada Geese honking around while they decide to take off.....mind you they only go over to the nearby field.
As they took off in a few groups I caught a glimpse of a much lighter one which I missed when they were on the water....managed to get a quick shot as they went over the boat club and when I got it on Laptop found out it was a Barnacle Goose....

About 30 Tufted Duck were on the left end of the pool but right on the other edge in the far weeds was a small Duck with a very white patch on the face...and with it being so far from the others I was wondering what it was.Could it be a female Scaup ???...NO....

Attachments

• _MG_0400.JPG
    _MG_0400.JPG
    385.1 KB · Views: 27
  • _MG_0422.JPG
    _MG_0422.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 31
  • _MG_0399 (2).JPG
    _MG_0399 (2).JPG
    328.2 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
MILL SHRUB.....2pm...

Crept past the white posts in the car and spied a KINGFISHER through the hedge....parked up and ran back with camera.
Slowly inched forward as they soon see you and go.....could see it through a tiny hole in hedge and got a few clean shots.....another local chap saw me and i showed him before it flew off....
It is a juvenile so either one has moved in the area or a pair have bred here...hope its the latter as the years weather looked to have really messed them about.

Attachments

• _MG_0726.JPG
    _MG_0726.JPG
    255 KB · Views: 21
  • _MG_0735 (3).JPG
    _MG_0735 (3).JPG
    298.4 KB · Views: 20
UPPER...Saturday evening around 7.40 pm...

Any birders looking in who might have any ideas what these 6 birds are.....an absolutely awful pic for you to judge from.....shot from the causeway where they sped in from below up over the dam then went down into the flooded grassy part.... I only spotted them very late...just time to raise the camera with settings all wrong....just lucky to get anything.
Had the feeling they were small waders......

Attachments

• _MG_0795 (2).JPG
    _MG_0795 (2).JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 75
UPPER...Saturday evening around 7.40 pm...

Any birders looking in who might have any ideas what these 6 birds are.....an absolutely awful pic for you to judge from.....shot from the causeway where they sped in from below up over the dam then went down into the flooded grassy part.... I only spotted them very late...just time to raise the camera with settings all wrong....just lucky to get anything.
Had the feeling they were small waders......

No idea - maybe Dunlin? Who knows

I'd go with Dunlin. Agree that the picture sadly isn't the best to work from, but at least you got a picture. The top bird in the centre is the only one really giving anything to go on, but seems to show a dark leading edge to the wing (perhaps a wingbar?) and apparently a dark central stripe to the tail.

Cheers,

Matt

Grey Phalarope found this morning by some other birders on Upper. Showing well but a bit distant in the small channel, best viewed about halfway along the dam.

Grey Phalarope found this morning by some other birders on Upper. Showing well but a bit distant in the small channel, best viewed about halfway along the dam.

It was still present at 2pm, and I've seen subsequent reports on Twitter.

First time I've been to Bittell for months. There could be all sorts hidden in all that weed.

Good numbers of wildfowl on Upper Bittell at the moment. As the water level slowly creeps up, the flooded margins are pulling in about 200 mallard, 100 teal, 50 wigeon, 20 shoveler and best of all 3 drake pintail. Hopefully more will arrive as the winter progresses and the water level still has someway to go before they start sailing again (and scare all the birds away).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back