• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Question on Listing Established Escapes (1 Viewer)

crispycreme

We were wandering through a man-made preserve in a suburban neighborhood the other day, and we came across dozens of Peach-faced Lovebirds. It was clear that these were fairly well established and thriving, but obviously descendants of escapees. Now, both my bird guides (American Bird Conservancy & Nat'l Geographic) have taken the trouble to list established parrots (mostly those found in Miami and Los Angeles) but neither include the Lovebird. Should I include it on my lifelist, or is that a no-no? I might note that we have seen these birds before, in other parts of the city, so it seems they have taken root and aren't merely aberrations.

edit - I just realized that I put this in the wrong forum (dumb n00b error). If a mod needs to move it, by all means do so.

edit again - thanks, Grouse. :)

Last edited:
Hi Crispy,

Maybe the 'authorities' (in your case, the AOU) don't even know about them yet? - quite often, breeding escapes don't get reported well enough.

Each case really needs to be judged on its merits, so I guess what's needed is to get a postgrad student to carry out a fairly long-term study of their breeding success, death rates, etc, etc, and do some predictive analysis to see if the population is likely to go on increasing, or whether they've just had one fluke breeding season and might die out soon.

Michael

CC,

This is a good question that comes up here from time to time. I asked the same thing several months ago when "Millicent", a Peahen, took up residence in our neighborhood.

First, I'll add a link to a few previous posts that will give some guidelines and then leave it open for Dennis and the Listing Police :cool:

Adding to a list
Can I add her to my list?

Last edited:
Thanks Michael, although that seems like a lot of trouble to go through before sticking a bird on my lifelist. ;) (j/k) I have noted that the field guides do list breeding escapes even though they have unsustainable populations (e.g. the budgeriars of Miami, and the recently extirpated myna in Washington)

edit - oops, your post slipped in ahead of mine, Dave. Thanks for the link, going off to read it now.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back