• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County listing (1 Viewer)

Phil Andrews

It's only Rock and Roller but I like it
United Kingdom
Not sure where the "400 birds in a year" thread has gone but one of the more interesting areas it had meandered into was the lists of the respective counties. I am sure this is of interest to a great many birders but I can not find a single location that such info is held.

Perhaps we could coordinate them all here and also have an exchange of views and opinions on the relative performance of the counties.

To start off with the 4 counties that make up the West Midland Bird Club have, as at the publication of its last annual report of 2008, lists of:

Staffordshire - 313 (with Woodchat to be added)
Warwickshire - 307
Worcestershire - 300 (with Glossy Ibis, Spotted Sand and Barred Warbler to be added)
West Midlands - 271

Last edited:
Sussex has a combined total of 384 (as of 2002) according to the SOS website. Must've been a few firsts to add by now (Izzy Wheatear, River Warbler...and LT Stint spring to mind ;))

Somerset

Somerset (unfortunately excluding North Somerset, Bath & North East Somerset, and Bristol :C) had a total of 352 spp at 31 Dec 2008 according to the SOS website, and (I think) no new species since.

The Warwickshire list is not as high as stated above, Red-breasted Flycatcher was seen by a known stringer & I don't know if his Greenish Warbler is in that total.

Mike.

Oh yeah, West Mids was created in 1974 & they nicked our Historical records of Red & Black Grouse.

Mike.

The Warwickshire list is not as high as stated above, Red-breasted Flycatcher was seen by a known stringer & I don't know if his Greenish Warbler is in that total.

Mike.

Hi Mike - no Greenish Warbler on the Warwickshire list but not aware that the RBF (Kingsbury Water Park?) has been reviewed / binned.

Oh yeah, West Mids was created in 1974 & they nicked our Historical records of Red & Black Grouse.

Mike.

Hi Mike after much badgering by myself ;) they now have a note about the Red and Black Grouse for Warwickshire in the report, perhaps they should now have a look at the rest and see what County these belong to :eek!:

Storm Petrel 1970
Little Bittern 1836
Montagu’s Harrier 1951
Corncrake 1965
Little Bustard 1893
Red-necked Phalarope 1893
Gull-billed Tern 1896
Razorbill 1912
Pallas’s Sandgrouse 1888
Cirl Bunting 1950
Baltimore Oriole 1968

Regards

John

Warwickshire - 307
Worcestershire - 300 (with Glossy Ibis, Spotted Sand and Barred Warbler to be added)
West Midlands - 271

Hertfordshire 307 officially in 2009 bird report and only county addition since that I am aware of will be the ringed Eastern Crowned Warbler last month.

Hi Mike - no Greenish Warbler on the Warwickshire list but not aware that the RBF (Kingsbury Water Park?) has been reviewed / binned.
Looking at the 2004 WMBC report I was not aware of the 1992 Kingsbury bird but the one at Birchmoor in 2004 & the same observer is submitting a Black-throated Thrush plus has a couple of Red-backed Shrikes, a Franklin's Gull & lots more single observer sightings of dubious authenticity, the way hes going we will have a bigger Warks list than Norfolk.

Mike.

Hampshire 364 (includes 8 Cat B and 12 cat C) plus acceptable additions from 2010 +2011 (so assume Red-flanked Bluetail, Rustic Bunting, Booted Warbler, Izzy Shrike, Spectacled Warbler, other?) = 369+

Despite such an apparently high total, we do get very few rare birds annually (most of these suppressed!") and seeing 300+ in the county is not easy!

cheers, alan

Not sure where the "400 birds in a year" thread has gone but one of the more interesting areas it had meandered into was the lists of the respective counties. I am sure this is of interest to a great many birders but I can not find a single location that such info is held.

Perhaps we could coordinate them all here and also have an exchange of views and opinions on the relative performance of the counties.

To start off with the 4 counties that make up the West Midland Bird Club have, as at the publication of its last annual report of 2008, lists of:

Warwickshire - 307
West Midlands - 271

Not sure how many times and for how long you can edit your posts, but is it possible as they come in to put the other Counties totals in the first post?

Regards

John

Dorset has 417 up to end of 2010.

I'm surprised it's so much higher than Hants - does Hants include the pre-1974 records for Christchurch Harbour, or were they ditched when we "migrated"? Edit - just checked my recollection, and Hants ditched all records when we moved to Dorset, but Dorset didn't add them, so pre-1974 Harbour records are on NO county list!

Out of interest, the Christchurch Harbour total is 321, plus 3 pending (RB Goose and RC Starling from this year, plus Elegant Tern). I believe this excludes "historic" records, and is just from the formation of CHOG in 1956.

Last edited:
County totals so far (based on current recording areas):-

Dorset - 417 (2010)
Sussex - 384 (2002, with 3+ pending)
Hampshire - 364 (2009, with 5 pending)
Somerset - 352 (2008)
Cheshire - 351 (2009)
Derbyshire - 319 (2011)
Staffordshire - 313 (2008, with 1 pending)
Hertfordshire - 307 (2010, with 1 pending)
Warwickshire - 307 (2008)
Worcestershire - 300 (2008, with 3 pending)
West Midlands - 271 (2008)

County Durham is 382 (plus another 3 pending from this year still to be accepted by BBRC, but all well twitched/photographed - White-throated Robin, Sandhill Crane, Pallid Harrier). This is based on the long standing County Durham recording area, basically Vice County 66 (Tyne to Tees).
The record year total for the county is this year (~272) and the record yearlist for one person is also this year (~253).

Mark

Devon total at the end of 2009 was 423, and the only new additions that I can think of are the Barolo's Shearwater on Lundy and the poxy Solitary Sandpiper that coincided its visit to my patch with mine to Scilly. So, 425 or thereabouts. A couple less without Lundy... ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back