• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wootton Art 2012 (1 Viewer)

A lot of hours in the field today in the roller-quest. Four hours before it made and appearance but then behaved impeccably for three-quarters of an hour or so. Not much work done, but loads of mental images, some crappy-snaps and a few coloured pages. Here's a couple of the latter;

Attachments

• 001 (569x800).jpg
    001 (569x800).jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 75
  • 002 (624x800).jpg
    002 (624x800).jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 86
The past couple of days have been amazing - the roller has been an absolute pleasure to spend time with (when I got the chance, that is) - today looks like it may well have gone, but the memory will be there for a long, long time.
Short-eared owl watercolour was a breather before hitting a large painting of the roller - tomorrow . . .
Off to Eynhallow now :)

Attachments

• 003 (571x800).jpg
    003 (571x800).jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 004 (530x800).jpg
    004 (530x800).jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 005 (543x800).jpg
    005 (543x800).jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 006 (556x800).jpg
    006 (556x800).jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 53
  • shortieOld Finstown Road wcolour (800x581).jpg
    shortieOld Finstown Road wcolour (800x581).jpg
    414.9 KB · Views: 86
Absolutely love these paintings of the Roller - I'll have one !!

The colours are so subdued - as they were in real life. When the bird flew, and it caught the light at the right angle, the tones/hues/vibrancy/etc/etc just exploded into the eye - and then it returned to its perch and the colours subsided again.

Fantastic work Tim.

Im not sure which im more jealous of your talent or the fact you have had a Roller 10miles from your house. As ever great work and Im sure we are in for treat after this super fieldwork:t:

Tim

Please submit some of these to BBRC and so break up the Sheltie Mafia's "rares" pics overload in the October 2013 "2012 Rares Report" from BB...what you do is so evocotive...pressing the "picture now" button on a DSLR is somehow MUCH less skillful :D

McM (a long way away (in a far off...) but taken back to my first UK Roller somewhere in D&G many years ago by these...)

Thanks folks.
Thought I should bring one of the best experiences of my birdy-arty life to some sort of conclusion. The Orkney roller was last seen on Monday (by me) and, although I checked back twice on Tuesday, it now seems the bird has departed for pastures new - I can only hope it finds its way back south to join its kin.
Anyway - the result of all the time in the field and the studies made there;
Roller - watercolour, 27"x22"

Attachments

• finstown roller  (800x567).jpg
    finstown roller (800x567).jpg
    402.7 KB · Views: 97
I know the birds more than well since they breed close to my hometown
in Greece , I`ve been watching them for ages and the only I can say is that
it couldn`t be painted better than that Tim! You really managed to capture its character perfectly, wonderfuly placed in its surroundings!
Thanks for sharing,

Paschalis

Last edited:
I`ve been watching them for ages and the only I can say is that
it couldn`t be painted better than that Tim! You really managed to capture its character perfectly, wonderfuly placed in its surroundings

Paschalis

I particularly have to agree about it being 'wonderfully place it its surroundings.' It makes a special painting even better.

just stunning as usual, and every one special....you are def in the big leagues now, at least I can say I knew you when lol

by the way Tim- I dropped into Alfred Munnings house this afternoon for a bit of painterly inspiration

and found this little tableau of racehorses at the start, carved into plaster on an outside wall dated 1919

rather splendid I thought

yes, one of my fav equine artists....now I could see Tim doing this with Eiders out at his homestead by the door....for posterity ya know

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back