• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any thoughts on No-Mess Blends from Wild Birds Unlimited (1 Viewer)

Crusty

Any thoughts on the following bird food blends from Wild Birds Unlimited Nature Shops?

No-Mess Blend (Sunflower Chips, Peanuts, Hulled White Millet). Manufactured by Lizzie Mae Birdseed & Dry Goods Co., Rittman, Ohio, USA.

No-Mess Plus Blend (Sunflower Chips, Peanuts, Mixed Tree Nuts, Bark Butter Bits [Corn, Roasted Peanuts, Rendered Beef Suet, Oats, Soy Oil, Calcium], Cherries, Cranberries). Manufactured by Burkmann Feeds, Bowling Green, Kentucky, USA.

No mess is a good idea, because the hulls really do a number on the grass. Possibly sunflower hulls contain some plant growth inhibitor or toxin, they create a bare spot where they accumulate.

It is probably simpler to just use shelled sunflower seed and separate suet feeders, that keeps both the cardinals as well as the woodpeckers happy. Millet never worked for me, no one ate it, not even the mourning doves, so it was just wasted. Perhaps if there had been grouse or pheasant, there might have been takers.

No Mess from WBU is pretty good. I have a couple other mom and pop stores nearby who mix and bag their own no mess mix which I like better. I like the no mess feed for the feeders I have out on my back deck. What falls to the deck below is usually mostly eaten.

Sounds very expensive. I find that the spilled seed attracts other species that don't often go on feeders. Juncos are one, other sparrows and doves as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back