• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bald Eagle Viewing at Shepaug, CT (1 Viewer)

falcon34

Hi.

Has anyone been to the Shepaug, Connecticut eagle observatory? I was hoping to go there to photograph some bald eagles, but I'm not sure how close we will be to them. I have a 300mm zoon lens... will that be long enough to get some decent pictures?

Thanks for the help...

Ray
falcon34

Hi Ray,

In my opinion Shepaug is worth a try but can be hit or miss. There are eagles at my local reservoir but you may not see them all the time when they are there even if they are perched up as they get lost in the conifers (in fact there is probably an Eagle on most large reservoirs or hanging round on most large rivers in CT or NY at this time of year). Caswell Cove in Milford CT can be very good at this time of year for Eagles but again you can go and see none - and if you do they tend to be across the river and impossible to photograph. Good luck with your search I would consider the eagle festval in CT if I was you or just keep popping back to Croton when you have free time - however they will soon be getting harder to find as they begin to head north again.

Luke

Thanks for the advice, Luke. I will give Shepaug a try. I am also considering taking one of the eagle cruises offered in Essex, CT. Are you familiar with those?

Thanks again.

Ray
falcon34

Hi Ray,

I've never done the Cruise but I know some of the people who do the guiding on the boats. You are definitely going to connect with Eagles on those trips - if you are lucky you might get a Golden in with them. I will post later what might friends saw whilst they were up there.

Luke

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back