• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Geese in Indiana (1 Viewer)

KimberlyL

Hello - very newbie here. Please forgive my stupid question.

In my hometown (Muncie, Indiana, USA) there is a flock of geese that has been around as long as I can remember. At least 15-20 years. I don't know what they are. They are not cared for, so not domestic as such. But possibly feral domestic geese or a hybrid of something or other, or possibly wild, possibly white fronted geese?

They live next to the river in a moderate size city right near two busy roads.

I'm attempting to attach some cell phone photos. If these are feral domestic geese, or a hybrid, can they "officially" be counted? I feel like not, but I'm brand new to keeping records.

Thanks for any info on either ID or the "rules."

Kim

Attachments

• Geese1.jpg
    Geese1.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Geese2.jpg
    Geese2.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 14
Feral domestic geese.

Yes, genetically speaking Greylag Geese (Anser anser), but looking different from the wild form because of selective breeding. (It seems like a very common thing for American new/non-birders to ask if these are White-fronted Geese - perhaps because Greylag isn't found as a wild species there? Also field guides tend not to include domestic/feral birds, which I think there is an argument they should...)

A consideration for others is that Swan Goose is also a very commonly kept and domesticated species and that they frequently hybridize with their domestic-type Graylag cousins. This often produces, assuming that they're not white, an intermediate plumage that seems to be dominated by the Graylag pattern, but with a contrastingly dark hind-neck, which is provided by the Swan Goose genes. Additionally, any domestic goose with even a suggestion of a bill knob probably has Swan Goose genes involved in its genome.

Graylag Goose (wild type)

Graylag Goose (domestic type) -- note that there are, undoubtedly, not-quite-correctly-identified birds here

Swan Goose (wild type)

Swan Goose (domestic type) -- see comment for Graylag domestic type

Graylag x Swan Goose (domestic type) -- see comment about other domestic-type entries

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back