• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2018 (1 Viewer)

Hi, is anyone else in Mallorca from 5-10 November and going bird watching in the north. I arrive tomorrow until 10th November. I do have some business to deal with but intend finding a couple of days to get out and about
David

A fabulous day spent walking the valley down from the monastery at Lluc. I believe it is one of the best walks on the Island with some brilliant birds.
Today there were a few Hawfinch, a Sparrowhawk which was the first one I have seen this year, lots of vultures and three Dunnock. It’s a great site for wintering Thrushes and buntings. The best walk is only open Sundays though.
Yesterday Kevin and I enjoyed a walk around Porto Colom. No Yellow-browed warblers although we may have heard one, a few sylvia warblers and a couple of Gannet. It’s a lovely place and seriously underwatched. Mike

There were hundreds of these bugs today at Lluc but I know nothing about them. Anybody know? There were lots of different types. Mike

Attachments

• 2DEB2E34-45AE-4B0C-B7A7-36C40C2F18D6.jpeg
    2DEB2E34-45AE-4B0C-B7A7-36C40C2F18D6.jpeg
    392.2 KB · Views: 58
A fabulous day spent walking the valley down from the monastery at Lluc. I believe it is one of the best walks on the Island with some brilliant birds.
Today there were a few Hawfinch, a Sparrowhawk which was the first one I have seen this year, lots of vultures and three Dunnock. It’s a great site for wintering Thrushes and buntings. The best walk is only open Sundays though.

It is a Brillwalk..i saw three dunnocks last time..along the walls at the bottom of the valley.

Bugs are fire bugs

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrrhocoris_apterus

Majorca Sept 2018

Interesting duck seen at Salbufera on the 23rd sept.Ferruginous Juv. Female? would appreciate everyone's opinion. not seen again later the same day or the rest of my visits.
Steve.

Attachments

• IMG_8095 (1024x730).jpg
    IMG_8095 (1024x730).jpg
    506.8 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_8110 (1024x768).jpg
    IMG_8110 (1024x768).jpg
    519.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_8127 (1024x733).jpg
    IMG_8127 (1024x733).jpg
    447.4 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_8166 (1024x732).jpg
    IMG_8166 (1024x732).jpg
    527.4 KB · Views: 45
Majorca Sept 2018

Some more.
Steve.

Attachments

• IMG_8138 (1024x731).jpg
    IMG_8138 (1024x731).jpg
    512.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_8140 (1024x736).jpg
    IMG_8140 (1024x736).jpg
    488.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_8122 (1024x730).jpg
    IMG_8122 (1024x730).jpg
    450.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_8100 (1024x732).jpg
    IMG_8100 (1024x732).jpg
    373.9 KB · Views: 48
I have been looking at your photos of the ferruginous type duck Steve and I hope some others respond.
Aythya ducks are notorious for hybridization so that can add to the confusion. I have never seen a Ferruginous Duck like your one, it’s a bit pale. I have also looked at the head shape but I can’t reach any conclusion from that either except that, as you say, immature female seems the best option! Over to the duck experts.
Mike

Mega!
A Red-flanked bluetail has been found by Cristina at La Gola, showing well.
I just knew that with all those strong easterlies there would be another big one out there. Many congratulations to Cristina, she deserves such a bird for all her hours of devotion.
I can’t get there until this afternoon but I hope it sticks a while.
Mike

Red-flanked Blue tail

Hello!
I already have internet connection and photo, a bad one but enough!!
I can't believe it! It is a very good one for la Gola park.
There are lots of birds today at la Gola. In fact, in a moment together with Maties we have seen the RF Bluetail and two Reed Bunting perched in the same branches.:king:

Attachments

• 100_2636.jpg
    100_2636.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 111
Hi Mike, head shape and lack of white on belly put me off, although it does show some pale feathers there, not sure how pale a Juv would be. Think the wings look right for a fudge.
Steve.

A few shots of the event of the day (year?).
Thank you again Cristina for finding this mega rarity!

Attachments

• _D_A4186-2.jpg
    _D_A4186-2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 81
  • _D_A4170-2.jpg
    _D_A4170-2.jpg
    934.9 KB · Views: 82
  • _D_A4164-2.jpg
    _D_A4164-2.jpg
    940 KB · Views: 85
  • _D_A4196-2.jpg
    _D_A4196-2.jpg
    819.4 KB · Views: 93
Non-birders will never understand the twitcher’s mentality. I was on my way to Manacor hospital when the news broke.
My surgeon asked why I had been pacing the waiting room floor and why was I in such an anxious state?
“Red-flanked bluetail” I replied. She was about to look up rare British diseases when I told her it was a bird.
Thanks for the wonderful photos Patrick and congratulations again to Cristina. It was the biggest twitch in the history of Mallorca, at least twenty of us!
Mike

Non-birders will never understand the twitcher’s mentality. I was on my way to Manacor hospital when the news broke.
My surgeon asked why I had been pacing the waiting room floor and why was I in such an anxious state?
“Red-flanked bluetail” I replied. She was about to look up rare British diseases when I told her it was a bird.
Thanks for the wonderful photos Patrick and congratulations again to Cristina. It was the biggest twitch in the history of Mallorca, at least twenty of us!
Mike

Great to see this beauty which was a first for me.
Thanks for the phone call Mike. I rushed out without my phone so couldn’t call you back. Good to meet the local birders there too.

Mega!
A Red-flanked bluetail has been found by Cristina at La Gola, showing well.
I just knew that with all those strong easterlies there would be another big one out there. Many congratulations to Cristina, she deserves such a bird for all her hours of devotion.
I can’t get there until this afternoon but I hope it sticks a while.
Mike

Oh wow! Congratulations Christina!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back