• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Review of 8x25 Victory Pocket (2 Viewers)

Well, I haven't, but I would think that if you are willing to carry the larger bin (8x30) it might be easier to use overall than the smaller one (8x25) since both have a good reputation for easy eye placement. However, based on specs, the effective eye-relief of the 8x25 with glasses may be better than the 8x30 because Zeiss claims 16.5 mm versus 16 for the Swarovski, and moreover, because bins with smaller diameter oculars generally need less eye-relief than bins with larger diameter oculars to work well with glasses.

--AP

Well, I haven't, but I would think that if you are willing to carry the larger bin (8x30) it might be easier to use overall than the smaller one (8x25) since both have a good reputation for easy eye placement. However, based on specs, the effective eye-relief of the 8x25 with glasses may be better than the 8x30 because Zeiss claims 16.5 mm versus 16 for the Swarovski, and moreover, because bins with smaller diameter oculars generally need less eye-relief than bins with larger diameter oculars to work well with glasses.

--AP

Thanks AP. I realize the comparison may be poor, if not completely inappropriate, but these two models seem to be the best option for my current interests - small, lightweight binoculars to be used on short (1-3hr) hikes, walks, etc. when conditions are appropriate. I would imagine this would make up roughly 80-85% of my "recreational" birding. I would have 8x42s available for my birding dedicated trips as well as work related "birding".

The eye relief/user interface is the most important aspect for me, at present. The Swarovski is said to have a measured EER of only 13mm (as opposed to the stated 16mm); I have not read any measured levels for EER for the Zeiss, but I do remember the 8x32 T*FL worked very well with their stated 16mm ER.

I just wish I could find these in stock locally. Such is the benefit of living in the middle of nowhere, I suppose...

EDIT: made a snap decision and went ahead and purchased them. Let's see what happens...

Last edited:
I was really hopeful that my 8x32 Meopta would serve the small, lightweight bino purpose, but it was difficult to make work perfectly with my eyeglasses.
As I primarily bird in the woods/grasslans by sound, just using binos occasionally, I figured these new gens of compacts (e.g. Kowa 8x22, Swaro 8x25, Zeiss 8x25) would work great when I didn't want to lug my full size bins around (e.g. marsh/lake birding, full-time birding). I'm now considering these 8x25s heavily, based on the various reviews (specifically AP's mention w/ regards to glasses and ease of view, something I've always found difficult in anything other than full-sized binos and the 8x32 Swarovision

The few people who didn’t like the Zeiss 8x25 are non-eyeglass wearers. I wear glasses and find them perfectly comfortable.

After getting them, I sold off my Leica Ultravid 8x32 HD. Yes, they’re that good.

Has anyone, compared, directly the (new model) 8x30 Swarovski Companion CL vs this Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25?

Yes I did last year, at Selfridges (London department store). Very briefly, under less than ideal conditions. I didn’t see an appreciable difference, certainly not enough to warrant double the price and weight.

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=3660371#post3660371

Thanks AP. I realize the comparison may be poor, if not completely inappropriate, but these two models seem to be the best option for my current interests - small, lightweight binoculars to be used on short (1-3hr) hikes, walks, etc. when conditions are appropriate. I would imagine this would make up roughly 80-85% of my "recreational" birding. I would have 8x42s available for my birding dedicated trips as well as work related "birding".

The eye relief/user interface is the most important aspect for me, at present. The Swarovski is said to have a measured EER of only 13mm (as opposed to the stated 16mm); I have not read any measured levels for EER for the Zeiss, but I do remember the 8x32 T*FL worked very well with their stated 16mm ER.

I just wish I could find these in stock locally. Such is the benefit of living in the middle of nowhere, I suppose...

EDIT: made a snap decision and went ahead and purchased them. Let's see what happens...

I don’t think you will be disappointed. The only caveat is to get a better strap and case, as the ones included, while comfortable, are preposterously large. It’s not a substitute for a 8x42 but I carry mine in my jacket pocket at all times.

Fazalmajid: thank you for your comments. They have a 30 day return period, so if something doesn't work I suppose I'm only out shipping costs.
Do you have any recommendations for a case or strap? I will also be on the lookout for a good rain guard; I understand that not a lot of people using pocket binos will necessarily use a rainguard, but it still would have been nice for Zeiss to include one.

EDIT: looks like the Opticron rainguard will work fine, still not sure about a strap.

Last edited:
The Vortex Rainguard Small is a nice fit. The oculars of the Zeiss 8x25 are 34 mm, the rainguard fits 35 tot 38 mm. The fit is loose, but the rainguard stays put in normal use (while walking, etc.) and comes of in an instant. The material is nice softish rubber, not hard plastic.

For lightweight scratch protection, for instance when the bins are in your rucksack, this is the best I have found so far:
https://www.lunchskins.com/collections/all/products/red-birdies-sandwich-bag
These bags are large enough to leave the IPD 'set', weigh almost nothing and don't add bulk.

The Leica Trinovid 8x20 strap is ideal for the Zeiss 8x25's small strap lugs.

George

...small, lightweight binoculars to be used on short (1-3hr) hikes, walks, etc...

Following that logic, I presume you prefer a 10x56 model for really long difficult hikes? :)

...Do you have any recommendations for a case or strap? I will also be on the lookout for a good rain guard; I understand that not a lot of people using pocket binos will necessarily use a rainguard, but it still would have been nice for Zeiss to include one.

EDIT: looks like the Opticron rainguard will work fine, still not sure about a strap.

I made my own neck strap (described in a previous post) to minimize bulk and hard bits of plastic etc, and I'd suggest doing the same. Maybe the best conventional commercial solution is to use the Op/Tech Mini QD Loops (1.5 mm size) or equivalent to connect whatever strap you like.

The Opticron Compact Binocular Rainguard 34 mm fits fine when the bin is unfolded (but not when folded).

I'll be interested in how you get on w/the Zeiss 8x25 Victory!

--AP

George: thanks for your recommendations. The Vortex covers have always been fairly high quality, in my opinion, so I'll look into that especially given Alexis' mention of the Opticron not working well when the binoculars are folded. I read previously about the Trinovid strap, but do not see that for sale as a standalone item anywhere online.

AP: your mention of self fabricating a strap is well regarded. In the past my girlfriend and I have made harnesses from Paracord and a washer, and attached them to the lugs with rings. The quick connects may be a good option for these binos, since I read (I believe your posts, actually) mentioned using rings on the Victory Pocket lugs was a bad idea.

I'm honestly quite excited about these little bins. I'm a huge fan oftrying different optics in the field, but for the most part newer bins have all been fairly similar, performance wise. I've never really used compacts, and have even found most 30/32mm difficult to use, so I'm excited to see if I can taste the Zeiss magic behind the ease of use of this particular model .

Justin

While I generally prefer 8x32, these Victory 8x25 Pockets work very well. They may actually be the only bin that is better suited for those who use eyeglasses vs those who don't.

I prefer a snug rainguard, therefore the Opticron is better and don't have any problem when the bin is folded. I did use a utility knife to trim off some of the unused strap guide sections. The Vortex compact is very loose, which is too bad, I'd prefer it over the Opticron if it was snug.

I've also used the Optech loops on the Pocket. Although they connect with a plastic clip, the weight dragging on that is obviously minimal.

I have all my bins on RYO harnesses, and i guess it's laziness or ineptness that stops me making a shock-cord harness of my own. I connect the loop (or the Optech adapt-its on larger bins) to a lockable double S-Biner (carabiner clip), which gives the option of hooking a rainguard into the system if necessary.
The smallest S-Biners (from Nite-Ize, i think) are quite discrete, and provide a flexibility regarding connection, while allowing the bins to sit well against my chest. They also lock very well, so will not accidentally lose your bins !
As for a case, i'm using a LowePro Dashpoint 20 - this is usually just used for travel though, or if the bins are being kept in a bag with other stuff.

Do you have any recommendations for a case or strap? I will also be on the lookout for a good rain guard; I understand that not a lot of people using pocket binos will necessarily use a rainguard, but it still would have been nice for Zeiss to include one.

The Swarovski field bag for compact binoculars is a good if snug fit, but I generally dispense with that and carry them in my jacket pocket. Yes, rainguards would have been nice, but not a deal-breaker for me.
[/QUOTE]

I read previously about the Trinovid strap, but do not see that for sale as a standalone item anywhere online.

That was probably me. Leica does stock them, but will only ship them (complimentary) to registered owners of the 8x20 Trinovid, such as myself.

You could make your own. They are made of a tubular shoelace material, lightweight but strong, slightly springy, with YKK LB-LS quick-release buckles, with nylon loops for the lug attachment point.

AP: your mention of self fabricating a strap is well regarded. In the past my girlfriend and I have made harnesses from Paracord and a washer, and attached them to the lugs with rings. The quick connects may be a good option for these binos, since I read (I believe your posts, actually) mentioned using rings on the Victory Pocket lugs was a bad idea.

The lugs on the Zeiss are exceedingly tight and won't fit a strap or even decently sized slit rings.

The YKK LB-LS are very strong but also unobtrusive.

I'm honestly quite excited about these little bins. I'm a huge fan oftrying different optics in the field, but for the most part newer bins have all been fairly similar, performance wise. I've never really used compacts, and have even found most 30/32mm difficult to use, so I'm excited to see if I can taste the Zeiss magic behind the ease of use of this particular model .

I wouldn't quite call them pocketable, jacket-pocketable at best, but they are worlds ahead of the true compact 8x20s.

Last edited:
While I generally prefer 8x32, these Victory 8x25 Pockets work very well. They may actually be the only bin that is better suited for those who use eyeglasses vs those who don't.

I prefer a snug rainguard, therefore the Opticron is better and don't have any problem when the bin is folded. I did use a utility knife to trim off some of the unused strap guide sections. The Vortex compact is very loose, which is too bad, I'd prefer it over the Opticron if it was snug.

Bill,

Agreed, it really helps to carefully trim off the unused strap guide sections from the Opticron rainguard making it less bulky and easier to fold. I generally prefer the Vortex rainguard as well for compacts but the Opticron when trimmed fits and looks and works perfectly on the Zeiss. I have modified some Vortex rainguards by cutting off the useless split attachment lug and gluing a small piece on the inside of each section of the rainguard to provide a snugger fit if needed. Works very well. Also as a bonus, you can glue a small piece of the lug on the inside of Vortex compact objective covers which then work very well on the Zeiss and a number of other compacts.

Vortex also sells their 10x28 binocular cases as an accessory which are a perfect fit for the Zeiss including either a strap or an RYO harness, Opticron rainguard, and Vortex objective covers installed.

Justin,

Like others I am using the Opticron rainguard. I used the Optech 1.5mm mini loops and a RYO harness initially. The RYO seemed like a bit of overkill but I really like having the harness option, even with such a small binocular. So I made a harness out of a cord called Lash it. It's a very strong multi-strand synthetic 1.75mm in diameter. I discovered this fix a couple years ago when I forgot my RYO on a trip with my Maven 8x30, but had some of the Lash It in my backpack.

This homemade version of the RYO harness is a single loop of Lash It that goes through both strap lugs, is doubled back upon itself, and knotted. The homemade harness is much lighter and more compact, but it is non-elastic and slightly harder to adjust. In operation it has been terrific. BTW, while this might work in a pinch with a larger heavier binocular, I believe the RYO would be far superior.

For transport, usually in my backpack, I wrap it in a largish optical cloth and keep it in double layered draw string cloth bag.

Alan

Thanks for all the thoughts on different options. Once I get them here, that'll give me a good idea on what I should do. I've been meaning to buy a RYO harness, as it seems ideal for my needs, but I've been using just the standard "Crooked Horn" style harness for years now, aside from the few binos we've outfitted with the above mentioned custom style paracord harnesses. The Opticron guard sounds like the best bet, I'm not a huge user of covers but I like to have them in-case I go through dense brush.

Justin

So, I'm not much of one to speak with emotion, particularly when it comes to an object/tool such as a pair of binoculars, but my first impression is: wow. I've had a bad week, and saw these coming in the mail and regretted my purchase before ever taking a look; what was I thinking, spending >$700 on a pair of goofy binos that will only be used in extremely special circumstances.

I'm glad to say I was horribly, horribly wrong. These things are so easy to use, sharp, and bright I'd never guess they were only a 25mm bino. I'll have to spend more time with them to really speak on their merits, but I'd have to commend AP on his original finding: these are indeed one of, if not the, easiest to use binoculars I've ever seen or owned, including many alpha 7 and 8x42s.

Build quality, despite not being made in Germany, seems great. The focus is perfect, neither stiff nor loose, with no apparent play, slop, if backlash. The hinge is perfectly tensioned, and although I've never used a pair of binos with an offset hinge, they fit very well into my large palms. The armoring has a nice feel, but I'm wondering if it will be a dust magnet - it almost feels gummy or tacky. Eyecups seem to move up and down fine, though mine will remain in the fully closed position.

The excellent build quality just furthers my annoyance with the lack of inclusion of a rainguard, objective covers, or reasonable case though. The strap, though goofy to look at and overly engineered with too many moving bits, will work until I switch to a RYO harness or similar. The case will be annoying, but will be necessary considering the lack of lens covers .

In field report to follow, hopefully I'll have some hiking time the next few days...

I agree...for a 8x25 they are brilliant. I do find the focus on the stiff side though, but I suppose they can't please everyone. I even used them once going unexpectedly owling and they got me by.

Same as with my 8x42, I put winged eycups on them and they are now even better.

Expensive, but unless there is an tech revolution in optics, it is a lifetime purchase.

So, I'm not much of one to speak with emotion, particularly when it comes to an object/tool such as a pair of binoculars, but my first impression is: wow. I've had a bad week, and saw these coming in the mail and regretted my purchase before ever taking a look; what was I thinking, spending >$700 on a pair of goofy binos that will only be used in extremely special circumstances.

I'm glad to say I was horribly, horribly wrong. These things are so easy to use, sharp, and bright I'd never guess they were only a 25mm bino. I'll have to spend more time with them to really speak on their merits, but I'd have to commend AP on his original finding: these are indeed one of, if not the, easiest to use binoculars I've ever seen or owned, including many alpha 7 and 8x42s.

Build quality, despite not being made in Germany, seems great. The focus is perfect, neither stiff nor loose, with no apparent play, slop, if backlash. The hinge is perfectly tensioned, and although I've never used a pair of binos with an offset hinge, they fit very well into my large palms. The armoring has a nice feel, but I'm wondering if it will be a dust magnet - it almost feels gummy or tacky. Eyecups seem to move up and down fine, though mine will remain in the fully closed position.

The excellent build quality just furthers my annoyance with the lack of inclusion of a rainguard, objective covers, or reasonable case though. The strap, though goofy to look at and overly engineered with too many moving bits, will work until I switch to a RYO harness or similar. The case will be annoying, but will be necessary considering the lack of lens covers .

In field report to follow, hopefully I'll have some hiking time the next few days...

J, Great post, I agree 100% with your praise of the bins and your kudos to AP for putting these in the spotlight where they belong.

I have not found the armor to be a dust magnet.

My post 153 describes my preference for re accessorizing and there are of course many excellent suggestions on the subject in other posts. Couple of additional things, after trying some of the suggested accessories to attach an RYO harness, I elected to attach the harness directly using just the split rings on the harness itself.The Optech swivel attachments recommended by others do help keep the harness from twisting/tangling but I found that attachment method a little too fiddly. For those who prefer a strap, the Optech binostrap works very well, is more compact, comfortable, less fiddly than the included strap and you can get 1.5 mm attachment cords on Optech as opposed to the 1 mm cord on the Zeiss strap. More security and durability.

The reason i used the Optech loops was principally to avoid the metal-on-metal of using the RYO rings directly on the lugs. I remember a discussion on the risks of this (wearing the surface off and subsequent damage).
I put the S-Biners between the loops and the harness simply to attach a rainguard should i need it, and to easily detach bins from harness when necessary (which actually rarely happens).
There has also been discussion earlier as to whether the Pocket can replace the FL 8x32. While i think optically this is a very close-run thing, i'm unlikely to do that, for one reason - proven robustness. The Pocket is a new kid on the block, and its durability as yet unproven. I can't see any reason why it wouldn't be good, but the FL has pedigree in this regard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back