• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tiny Tripod (1 Viewer)

quincy88

Hello All,

I sit at a desk with a window and a view both at home and at work.

At home, I can see down to the ocean where I watch eagles, sea ducks, and gulls. Also, I can see some trees where I get chickadees and kinglets and an occasional warbler. And of course, ravens all the time.

At work, I watch creepers and kinglets and chickadees and warblers and an occasional flock of waxwings, And of course, ravens all the time.

I wanted a tiny tripod so that I could have my 15s mounted and ready all the time. I found the Manfrotto Virtual Reality Aluminum Base that has perfectly fit the bill. See the link below:
https://www.manfrotto.us/virtual-reality-aluminum-base-b93842

This thing is great. It was affordable (roughly $75), It is stable (holds 9 lbs), it is lightweight (<1.5 lbs), and it is short (8"-16"). I have tested it out in numerous sitting situations and it has worked great in all of them. The tripod has two leg positions for more flexibility.

My whole set up is; the tripod, the outdoorsmans pan head, the outdoorsmans binocular adapter, the outdoorsmans binocular stud, and Swarovski SLC 15x56s.

With this setup, while the binoculars are pointing roughly level, the height of the ocular lenses is between 13.5" (with the legs in the wide position and the center post all the way down) and 21.5" (with the legs in the narrow position and the center post all the way up). I most often use it with the legs in the narrow position and the center post all the way down which yields a height of about 16.5".

If you are lucky enough to work in a place where you can watch birds and want a tripod that you can put on top of a desk I highly recommend this one.

-as you were, q

Hey Thanks
This is Crazy Perfect!!!Its super portable !! Saw the table tripods so many times but missed this completely .I like your set up as it can use the SLC 56 to its full potential ---carry almost anywhere!!!Cheers
Vaidya

Last edited:
Happy to help you guys out with a recommendation. It really is a great little tripod.

fazalmajid,
I looked long and hard at that magic arm as the alternative to the tripod that I ended up with. Is it pretty stable? That does seem like a pretty good solution if it is. Do you think that it could support a tripod head and a pair of binoculars totaling 3-4 lbs? I understand the tripod head isn't necessary, but I think that I would like to get the arm positioned then use a head for small adjustments and panning.

-as you were, q

I looked long and hard at that magic arm as the alternative to the tripod that I ended up with. Is it pretty stable? That does seem like a pretty good solution if it is. Do you think that it could support a tripod head and a pair of binoculars totaling 3-4 lbs? I understand the tripod head isn't necessary, but I think that I would like to get the arm positioned then use a head for small adjustments and panning.

I doubt it. I think it’s good enough for up to 15x, but probably not for a 40x or more spotting scope, and I wouldn’t load one more than about 2lb, most heads would tip the balance too far, unless it’s something really light like a Novoflex Neiger or RRS micro ball head. The great benefit is it takes up less space on a desk than a tabletop tripod would.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back