• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

swift trilyte 7x50 roof prism (1 Viewer)

Okay, this is informative. Because the Audubon on the cover says No. 804, the booklet was issued after 1990 or so. Immersion testing would only be done to assure waterproofness, which is what makes the model so expensive. The designation B191 indicates the Japanese company that put the final product together, Seiwa Optical Co., Ltd., Wako-Shi. That company also made other models, such as the Nighthawk series in the 1970s and 80s.

There really isn't too much more to discover except how the instrument performs.

Ed
Yes, Ed, Thanks! It performs well for what I use it for, which is mainly front yard bird watching! I would like to have a more high powered set to really see some detail, but for now, these do!

Debbie,
That is the neatest looking trylite I have seen, I have had the 10x40, and 8x40, reasonable performers. Yours looks great condition and all with original box. Hard to see from the photo, but the objectives look to be more dark amber in colour than red to me?, similar to the Zeiss Jenna coatings but maybe a tad darker? Very nice collectable to have. Best wishes. Ben
Thanks, Ben! I was able to buy them secondhand from a former dealer for $40. I thought I was getting a good bargain, but had no idea for sure until Ed helped me out with some additional information! They perform well enough for front yard bird watching. I think I'd need more powerful set for seeing detail though!

Thanks, Ben! I was able to buy them secondhand from a former dealer for $40. I thought I was getting a good bargain, but had no idea for sure until Ed helped me out with some additional information! They perform well enough for front yard bird watching. I think I'd need more powerful set for seeing detail though!
Almost forgot, YES, the objectives are more of an amber red, almost like burnt sugar on top of creme' brulee!

OK folks, you will have to take this with a grain of salt, as this is done from memory from an eBay sale I did not win, and the sale was some time ago. The auction item was a clearly marked Swift Trilyte 7x50. On the 7x50 my memory is crystal clear, as that configuration is the ONLY reason I was in the bidding in the first place.

There were good photos with the auction and for whatever reason (and whatever it was it was not a good reason) I did not save the photos. The binocular was clearly and very visibly marked Swift Trilyte, clearly not Aerolyte. It was not the early leather pebble grain coverings like the original series Trylite I bought back in 1969 as a complement to my Swift Nighthawk.

It had ribbed rubber armor and it looked a lot like the 7x35 Audubon whose picture Ed posted. I had the feeling at the time it was one of the later non phase corrected Trylite models. I was not at all aware Swift had ever produced a 7x50 in the Trylite line up, which is what prompted my interest. When I saw it it had just been posted and had a buy it now option for a reasonable price. However I'd just changed my password and by the time I dug the new one out and went to buy it now, somebody had bid. I was pretty busy at that time and missed the end of the auction. At this point that is with some retrospective regret.

Now I have a hunch that Bill is probably right in that it was eventually put out as an Aerolyte and likely only a few were ever branded as Trylite. I have zero idea of what the optics of the Trilyte marked binocular I lost out on would have possibly compared to a 7x50 Aerolyte. But Trilyte wad definitely the label shown in the photo on the binocular.

I realize this clears nothing up and may cast doubt on my recollections.

B :)

Last edited:
Okay, this is informative. Because the Audubon on the cover says No. 804, the booklet was issued after 1990 or so. Immersion testing would only be done to assure waterproofness, which is what makes the model so expensive. The designation B191 indicates the Japanese company that put the final product together, Seiwa Optical Co., Ltd., Wako-Shi. That company also made other models, such as the Nighthawk series in the 1970s and 80s.

There really isn't too much more to discover except how the instrument performs.

Ed
Hi Ed! I am thinking of selling these bins so I can get a more high powered set. Can I sell then on this site? Do you have a recommendation if not? Thanks!

Admiral GMC 8x25

Hi all

I recently bought this pair, looks to be 8x25 comparing it against others I have and measuring the objectives. No JB marker but has the same stylised W as the Chinon of trilyte design.

They work well now I've stripped and cleaned, some odd crusty chalky while deposit all around the LH occular/tube that had crumbled down onto the prisms etc. Focus is very fast on these too.

Any idea what the FoV on the trilyte 8x25 model was as I expect these would probably be the same. Seems around 5.5-6.5 degree on viewing.

thanks
Dave

Attachments

• Admiral 8x25.JPG
    Admiral 8x25.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 16
General Motor Company.

Alpha to beta in Ursa Major is 5 degrees 22 minutes angular distance. The pointer stars to Polaris.

B.

General Motor Company.

Alpha to beta in Ursa Major is 5 degrees 22 minutes angular distance. The pointer stars to Polaris.

B.

thanks Binastro, will give that a go. Actually I believe Admiral GMC are a swiss outfit tho I didn't find any info on these so far, but then they are a couple decades or so old. Japanese made given the design and worn JTII sticker.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back